I am about to order a new carvin v3. I already own one and I love it but I would like to have reverb on the amp and use my current as a back up. I need to know what cabinets to get between the Marshall mx412s, Carvin Legacy 412s, or the paired Carvin v3 412s. Please keep in mind that I like to run full stacks and I use the slant on straight setup. I'm also using metal and hard rock tones ranging from volbeat-megadeth. Please feel free to suggest any other cabinets. I'd prefer each cabinet to be under $800. I'm currently running two Mesa cabs that need to be retired and I don't have the money to replace.
Get 2 used Mesa recto cabs or 2 used orange ppc cabs or 2 used 1960av/1960vb cabs

it's not that carvin cabs are bad at all, there are just better options out there for your price range

Actually since you already have a V3, why not get something better and different like a splawn, mesa, vht?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd prefer new cabs since I will be touring and gigging with these. I really love my v3 and my dad uses a Mesa dual rec in his live rig and I've used it a couple times. The v3 gets a bad reputation because most people don't take the time to play with it. I think it's got a warmer bite than the Mesa of course my comparison is closed to one Mesa model.
Quote by jacrane74
I'd prefer new cabs since I will be touring and gigging with these. I really love my v3 and my dad uses a Mesa dual rec in his live rig and I've used it a couple times. The v3 gets a bad reputation because most people don't take the time to play with it. I think it's got a warmer bite than the Mesa of course my comparison is closed to one Mesa model.

The V3 is an alright amp, I was just suggesting getting an amp with a different flavor so your not stuck with 2 of the same amps. You can also get different sounds while recording or run a stereo rig live if your the only guitarist.

If you want new at your price you can not beat www.avatarspeakers.com you can choose from fender, marshall and orange style cabs. You can also choose the tolex color, grill color and speaker choice of your cabs and they are <$800
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 19, 2015,
Why don't you just throw a reverb into the loop of the amp you've got?

But anyway, not sure what speakers are in the Carvins but the Marshall has ultra crappy Seventy 80's in them. You don't want that.
If you're in the US, check out Avatar Speakers
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I already wanted another v3 so I have one as a back up. Mines only gone down once but thats because my ex threw a half full wine bottle at it and even then it still played, unfortunately without lights.
Budget?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The carvin legacy 412 is a great cab loaded with v30s and it is very affordable. I think I got mine for about $350. Its very loud, in your face sounding and is great quality. The only thing I dont like about it is that it doesnt have an option to run in stereo at stock, but you can always get another jack plate and wire to run in stereo if you want. The cab works great for hard rock and metal. The cleans sound really good, but Ive never tried running a really nice clean amp like a fender or vox through mine so I couldnt say how great they can really be- i dont think people typically like v30s for bluesy cleans though. I also have a mesa oversize 412 which is a great cab too, but I like the carvin just as much.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

The legacy cabs are very solid. They're just as tough as any other major manufacturer cab. The only downside to the Carvin stuff is that the re-sale value is terrible. This is good if you want to find and buy some used gear, but bad if you buy new and decide to sell down the road.

Avatar is cool because you have a lot more options with them than your standard production stuff you find at the local store. I would strongly suggest going with an Avatar cab and checking out the Hellatone speakers.

I also recommend selecting a different amp rather than owning two of the same amp. Give yourself some flexibility and variety. Instead of running a full-stack, run two half-stacks.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I've got a 3120, ironheart 100 watt, and an x100b that I sometimes use but I always fall back on my v3. I tour with my dad as lead player and he runs a dual rec full stack. So I kind of like seeing two giant full stack on either side of the stage. I guess it's kinda amateur but it looks really cool.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get 2 used Mesa recto cabs or 2 used orange ppc cabs or 2 used 1960av/1960vb cabs

it's not that carvin cabs are bad at all, there are just better options out there for your price range

Actually since you already have a V3, why not get something better and different like a splawn, mesa, vht?

The Carvin cabinets themselves are easily as good, construction-wise, as anything else on the market. You'll just want to specify speakers to match what you want to do (I have Vintage 30's in a couple of mine). Calvin doesn't use anything but good birch plywood, and their hardware is solid.

If you pull the backs off a bunch of cabinets with a wide range of prices, you'll find the construction is virtually identical. What drives up the cost of the cabinets is that logo on the front. There are cosmetic details (metal grills vs. grill cloth, etc.), but none of those affect sound or longevity.

Marshall/Mesa cabs don't offer anything over the Carvins, sorry.

Since there's little in the way of construction or sound differences, pick the ones that fit your budget and that look the way you like.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 19, 2015,
Quote by jacrane74
I've got a 3120, ironheart 100 watt, and an x100b that I sometimes use but I always fall back on my v3. I tour with my dad as lead player and he runs a dual rec full stack. So I kind of like seeing two giant full stack on either side of the stage. I guess it's kinda amateur but it looks really cool.

I've pretty much retired all four of my 4x12s, unless someone wants them onstage for eye candy. They beam treble, weigh too much and take up too much space. I've seen number of acts carrying the fake ones, though. They fold up into a flat pack, don't have speakers in them, and are pretty much just wall paper.

These days it's a modeler with a foot pedal into the mixer. If I need stage volume (or if we're playing outdoors), I have a 1500W 9 lb solid state power amp and a fearless F115 (15"LF driver, 6" mids, 1" tweeter) or two (if I need a LOT of stage volume). Fits into the back of a Honda FIT, matches PA systems for response, gives me the same sound pretty much anywhere in front of them. Cabs weigh just a bit over 40 lbs each (half what a 4x12 weighs).

I have an X100B (but an '89 combo with an EV). I actually drove a pair of 4x12s with it at one point. Love that amp. It's LOUD even as an open back 1x12. The newer reissue (since what, 2005?) has smaller transformers (not a good thing) and a digital reverb (that's actually a better thing).
Quote by jacrane74

You can still do the Full Stack look. Just have your second head behind the stack. You could also do a 4x12 + 2x12 stack with two heads on top. That might look pretty sweet. If you're all about the V3, go for it. You could still run two V3 heads with slightly different settings.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Ok so I have narrowed it down to the legacy cabs and the v3 cabs. Which sound better for the amp and are the g12s that at loaded in the v3 cabs any good?
Quote by jacrane74
Ok so I have narrowed it down to the legacy cabs and the v3 cabs. Which sound better for the amp and are the g12s that at loaded in the v3 cabs any good?

the G12 speakers are pretty crap IMO I wouldn't touch a carvin cab without V30's in it.

But I'd rather get an Avatar any day and I am in a touring band.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I three Carvin cabs , one with V30's , one with Carvin GT's and one with Emence Swamp thangs , I like the V30's best for cleans , the Swamp Thangs for heavy and the GT's seem to be the best all around speaker with my V3m anyway .... the V30's took about 50 hours loud to break in good as they were a fizzy mess until then
Quote by Robbgnarly

But I'd rather get an Avatar any day and I am in a touring band.

Nothing at all wrong with an Avatar cabinet (good choice), but since I'm very familiar with their construction, I'm not sure that I understand what advantage they might offer over the Carvins.
Quote by dspellman
Nothing at all wrong with an Avatar cabinet (good choice), but since I'm very familiar with their construction, I'm not sure that I understand what advantage they might offer over the Carvins.

custom options and speaker selection
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
custom options and speaker selection

Yup, they have that. OTOH, you can get V30's in a Carvin, and I have no idea what kind of "custom options" I'd want other than the bright purple tolex <G>...
Quote by dspellman
Yup, they have that. OTOH, you can get V30's in a Carvin, and I have no idea what kind of "custom options" I'd want other than the bright purple tolex <G>...

well purple tolex seems like a good reason
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've heard that the Celestion Vintage 30s give the v3 unbearable amounts of treble. I can't compare them as I live in Missouri and our next tour won't be going anywhere near San Diego.
Carvin offers a wide range of custom wraps. I'm got my new head in blue snakeskin. Which I will be doing the same with the cabs.
Quote by jacrane74
I've heard that the Celestion Vintage 30s give the v3 unbearable amounts of treble. I can't compare them as I live in Missouri and our next tour won't be going anywhere near San Diego.

Take you head to a store that has a V30 loaded cab and plug it in to see if you like it or not
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
And then go and buy an Avatar loaded with K100's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My biggest problem with avatar is that there are no slant cabs. I've decided to give the legacy cabs a shot. They have the diamond style metal grille and they are already loaded with v30s. If I don't like those I can always return them through carvin's return policy and get the other ones. How do eminence wizards compare to the v30?
you'd be barely on budget, but you can get a custom zilla 4x12 for roughly $800 each

http://www.zillacabs.com/price_list.php

a few guitarists run these with an X-configuration (v30s and g12hs for example, with, say, one v30 in the top left and one in the bottom right, and one g12h in the top right and one in the bottom left)
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by jacrane74
My biggest problem with avatar is that there are no slant cabs. I've decided to give the legacy cabs a shot. They have the diamond style metal grille and they are already loaded with v30s. If I don't like those I can always return them through carvin's return policy and get the other ones. How do eminence wizards compare to the v30?

Eminence wizards are like the Celestion G12h30 with a higher wattage rating

Remember it can tale 25+ hours (at loud volumes) to break in V30's from being so harsh in the upper range, but when they mellow out they are fine

I thought Avatar used to have a angled cab, but your running a full stack, so an angled cab is pointless because you'll have 4x 12's at ear level anyway.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The angled are just for show, which sound better after broken in? When I get new speakers I always do the evh trick. Lock it in a soundproof room with the guitar feeding back. I normally keep it there for a day then check on it periodically. It worked well with all my greenbacks.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Remember it can tale 25+ hours (at loud volumes) to break in V30's from being so harsh in the upper range, but when they mellow out they are fine

^^^^ Yup.

Some speakers change a little when they get broken in, some not at all, some a lot. The V30 is in that last bracket.
Quote by jacrane74
Which sound better broken in, v30s or wizards?

Depends on if you want V30 or G12h30 sound. I like the G12h30 that is why I have a 2x12 with them in.

Do you want a modern sound or a little bit vintage sound?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well I like a lot of bite but still have a good amount of warmth so basically a mid saturated modern tone
Quote by jacrane74
Well I like a lot of bite but still have a good amount of warmth so basically a mid saturated modern tone

well both have lots of bite to them, but the V30 has more mids to it than the G12h30 type speakers.

If your going for a more modern tone then the V30's would be a good choice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
my V30's started sounding better after 25 hours of loud playing , then started sounding great after 50 hours of loud playing , outdoor gig level loud ...... quiet playing don't do shit to break them in regardless of hours , so apartment players may have to take that loud break-in into consideration