So I've been playing guitar for about 9-10 years now, and about 1 1/2 years ago I got
into the 3mm Big Stubbies. I love them because they don't move at all but the tapered design allows you to still strum. I am extremely prescise with these picks and they feel natural for me. But the problem is... When I try to use normal picks or if there aren't any 3mm around I just kinda... Suck.... I don't know why I can't use normal picks. I'm used to the way the big Stubbies are tapered and smooth on the sides, so for switching strings or sweeping it feels great. But is this a problem? I can't even use the freaking 2mm Big Stubbies it HAS TO BE 3mm.

I'm also slightly irked that nobody lets you make custom logos/designs on those monsters and also even though this will probably be counter productive, I wanna get one of those insanity picks that are like 11.5mm just for the lulz
Last edited by King Elijah at Aug 19, 2015,
There's nothing wrong with that, we all have a preference. It's only a problem when you need to play someone else' guitar and you don't have a pick with you!
I don't know why I like them so much specifically even compared to the 2.00mm. At this point it's already way past the possibility of bending so it's more the taper probably. I wish I could get better pinch harmonics with them though. I wish I was one of those people who could just pick up any guitar and any pick and just shred as clear as with anything else. Or is that not really something even the pros can do? Are the pros just as confined to their set list of comfortable picks/guitar specifics/gear as everyone else?
Last edited by King Elijah at Aug 19, 2015,
Hmm, maybe try going down in size gradually. I played the 2mm stubbies and switched to a 1.5 gator grip and now I'm using .90 ultex sharps. It isn't mandatory but I'd say it's worth a try.
yea, because those things aren't cheap and they wear out in an instant

but really, it doesn't matter that much if you really like your results with them. i will say though, that sometimes, switching the tools you use can force you to reevaluate your technique and highlight bad habits you might not really notice with the guitar/pick/whatever you normally play with.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i will say though, that sometimes, switching the tools you use can force you to reevaluate your technique and highlight bad habits you might not really notice with the guitar/pick/whatever you normally play with.

Exactly why I switched to the heavy heavy picks haha, I was told that they give no room for error so your picking techniques will improve
Head on over to ebay and look for the 30 pack variety of the Alice Stubby styled picks.
They have the full sized ones shaped like the Stubbys in 1mm 2mm and 3mm as well as the same shape in Jazz sized picks also 1mm 2mm and 3mm all of that for ~5$.

They are fantastic picks for getting the string to sound cleanly with minimal effort however I find the texture might be a bit to smooth for me these days, sliding over the string to easily and making consistent tremolo picking difficult. I might have to find an dunlop jazz tortex knockoff
Quote by King Elijah
Exactly why I switched to the heavy heavy picks haha, I was told that they give no room for error so your picking techniques will improve

Interesting, probably true for strumming. I find it is much easier to shred with a solid heavy pick that comes to the sharpest point possible though.