I'm considering buying a Jackson JS 1X Rhoads which is around the £130 mark, but I just want a cheap guitar that sounds okay; and from what I've heard, it doesn't sound or feel cheap. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which pickups I could swap out the stocks for. I'm trying to stay on a budget of £300, if you can help me thank you very much! Here's a link to the guitar http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=150713288100002 thanks guys!
What particular sound are you looking to achieve?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I'm trying for a more modern metal sound, that deals well with down tuning and has enough mids and brightness
For the sake of answering the question, the DiMarzio Crunch Lab and LiquiFire set will do the job.

However I fail to see the point of putting £150 worth of pickups in a £130 guitar and running it through a £150 amp.

Pickups will make a difference to the tone, however the impact this will have is going to be significantly lessened by the fact that you are playing through a practice amp, which also happens to be a modeller.

IMO the amount you would pay to upgrade the pickups is not going to be worth the difference in tone that those pickups would grant you, given your current setup. There will be a difference in tone, whether it is worth your money is up to you.
Quote by persianguitaris
I'm trying for a more modern metal sound, that deals well with down tuning and has enough mids and brightness

Don't mean to offend, but this just sounds so bassackwards.

You're playing *guitar*, so get the best of those that you can. Spend the money on quality, neck shape, playability and (well, let's be honest) looks. It makes little sense to buy a hundred and thirty pound guitar and then stuff three hundred pound pickups in it. I realize it's valid to upgrade an inexpensive guitar, but at that level, no.

You have neither the guitar NOR the amp to be able to hear substantive differences, much less the relatively minor tweaks that a set of pickups offer.

You're planning changes on a guitar you've only *read* about. You're discussing downtuning, mids and brightness, but you're unlikely to hear any of what you're talking about through the amp you have now unless you're wearing a GOOD set of headphones (as opposed to four buck earbuds).

Buy the best guitar you can afford, pay the money to have it PLEK'd, maybe have the frets superglued, and perfectly set up. Don't plan pickup swaps as your first order of business. Just my humble opinion, of course. YMMV, hike your own hike, yada yada.
i'm with dspellman. get a £300 guitar. if you're lucky it might have name-brand pickups already (I've seen some good deals on Yamaha pacificas with duncans, for example).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Aug 19, 2015,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Damn. Someone got a good deal.

I know I was tempted myself but I don't stay near that location.I would have paid the courier but it would need a case too.Great buy for whoever got it.A £1000 guitar for not even half the price.
Since you are in Europe/UK check out Iron Gear pickups. Personally I have not tried them but word is they are good. And cheap. http://irongear.co.uk/

Entwistle pickups are even cheaper, but only one I have tried so far is Darkstar 7. It was an improvement over EMG HZ-7.

*edit* Oh! And about that guitar it is about 2/3 sized mini guitar for kids.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 19, 2015,
buy a new amp or set your money on fire and save yourself the guaranteed disappointment the pick up swap will bring. save an extra 50 bucks and buy a 6505+ to get that generic modern metal sound that you are looking for.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I once put a set of EMG's (81TW and 89R--basically an 81/85 set with coil tapping) in a $99 Dean. It was a temporary thing while I was saving for a new guitar to put them in.

It provided a lot more drive and sustain but it still just sounded like a shitty guitar with good pickups... lol
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
I'd either aim for a used X Series Jackson or get the JS plus a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1. The pickups on the JS aren't as bad as people claim here.
Quote by Prime2515102
I once put a set of EMG's (81TW and 89R--basically an 81/85 set with coil tapping) in a $99 Dean. It was a temporary thing while I was saving for a new guitar to put them in.

It provided a lot more drive and sustain but it still just sounded like a shitty guitar with good pickups... lol

Explain it to me, what does a shitty guitar sound like?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by MaaZeus
Since you are in Europe/UK check out Iron Gear pickups. Personally I have not tried them but word is they are good. And cheap. http://irongear.co.uk/

Entwistle pickups are even cheaper, but only one I have tried so far is Darkstar 7. It was an improvement over EMG HZ-7.

*edit* Oh! And about that guitar it is about 2/3 sized mini guitar for kids.

I've got a set of Iron Gear something-or-others(hot slags, maybe? I forget) in my Epi LP. A good bit hotter than what they replaced, but that was what I was going for.
Quote by Diemon Dave