Do you prefer to have multiple guitars of different brands (Ibanez, ESP, Jackson) or have multiple guitars all from the same company? Advantages/disadvantages to each? Just curious of everyone else's opinions.

I have a low end Ibanez and an LTD. Part of me wants a jackson or something else, but part of me wants an ibanez prestige.
Well...i have multiples of a few brands. I buy what I like, essentially.

But I also know guys who have only Fender Strats- won't even touch other Fenders.

Almost every maker does things a little differently. If you like what they do, why not buy if you can afford to?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 19, 2015,
Quote by In_Black_Flames
Do you prefer to have multiple guitars of different brands (Ibanez, ESP, Jackson) or have multiple guitars all from the same company? Advantages/disadvantages to each? Just curious of everyone else's opinions.

I have a low end Ibanez and an LTD. Part of me wants a jackson or something else, but part of me wants an ibanez prestige.

I couldn't tell you. I have a large stack of Gibsons, at least seven Carvins, four Agiles, three Moonstones. OTOH, I have a couple of Yamahas, a single Gretsch, a '92 Samick, a '39 Epiphone, four Line 6 Variaxes, a couple of Taylors, a Fender or two, a Nik Huber, etc.

If I have several of a single brand, it's largely because that brand has produced repeatable quality or favored styles of guitars. Except for Gibson and Variax, I mostly don't have two of the exact same guitar. I have no ESPs (I have one I want, but it's a custom that's going to be extremely hard to find), no Jacksons, two Ibanez (one is a solid body, one is a semi-hollow).

Where I have an identical two of something, it's usually because I need a backup (this is the case with the Variax JTV89F guitars).
It's good to have a variety of different guitars as they each make you play differently and approach your tone differently. This can be very useful for creativity.

But it's also good to have a more than one of the same type of thing if you're gigging - you never know when you might break a string or something else might go wrong on stage and it's good to have a similar guitar you can pick up if you need to.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I don't have any actual duplicates...but I don't gig, and I'm not in a band. I don't need backups.

I ALMOST bought a Fernandes Ravelle SHIN Koi, which has the same specs as my Goldtop LE (it has a different finish), but the deal fell through. Still looking for that guitar, too.

And I'd buy duplicates of other guitars, too- another Reverend Rick Vito or Manta Ray 390 would be welcome, as would another Electra Omega Prime, for instance.

The closest I have come to duplicating a purchase is I have 2 Fernandes Ravelles and 3 Jon Kammerer that are the same model. But even there, the guitars are all differently specced.

The other Ravelle besides my Goldtop has the Sustainer system in it, and is very different in capabilities from the Goldtop.

The 3 JKGs? 2 hardtails and one with a trem, each with a different set of pickups. One of the hardtails is a semihollow. The guitars sound nothing alike.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I like the avatar! And the member title! Big fan of the older DE with Gus!

I just buy what I like so long as the quality is there. I've found I like a few specific brands, so it's just happened that I've ended up with 3 Epiphones, an LTD & an Edwards, and 2 Tanglewoods for instance, though the Tanglewoods are just coincidence. I'd definitely buy more Epi/Gibs and ESP/Edwards/LTDs in the future.

I'm not really sure on advantages and disadvantages of each. If you were to use one brand exclusively I would suppose it be easier to land an endorsement with them, though some variety from different brands is nice.

I could quite happily double up on my LTD Gus, I'd like a stoptail version with a killswitch to play about in different tunings with. I've got my eye on the Edwards version with the Firewind inlays. You can't have too many Les Pauls either.
Quote by In_Black_Flames

I could probably buy nothing but Musicman's based on my experience with the Silhouette Special - superb guitars. I have an American Strat as well and it doesn't hold up to the Silhouette.

Buy the guitar that fits your needs and that has the best instrument in your price point.
A backup for gigging is always useful. Noone wants to watch you restring a floyd(if you use one) halfway through your set.
I have a Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Dean Z, Charvel Skatecaster, and (I think I still have it?) a Washburn HSS strat copy that I bought when I first started playing. Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass too!

I really like Fenders, never been a big Gibson fan for some unknown reason. I just have some personal vendetta bias against them in favor of Fender lol.
It's good to have variety. Got fender (strat, tele, jazzmaster) Got some hollow's (Yamaha, epiphone, gretsch) still need ("want") a good double humbucker guitar and I'm set (yeah right:P). Got something for everything
I like variety but I lean towards LTDs these days as I think they're great value for money.Its the only brand I have more than one of.All my guitars have different pickups in certain positions and one with actives.Oh one Floyd rose too but that's got a tremel no installed now.
Last edited by smittyanthrax at Aug 19, 2015,
Funny, I never really thought about this much. I always like to think that my guitars found me. But looking over at my current stable, there's a Gibson SG, Dean Hardtail, BC Rich Mockingbird, Rickenbacker 360, and a 31 fret Hondo II Longhorn (which I love). They each have very particular uses that suit them best, but it wasn't something I planned on, they just found me over the years. And apparently I have an aversion to single coil pick ups, minus the coil-tapping Dean and Hondo, plus the Rick.

I'd say a variety of manufacturers works best for me.
I've always wanted another crapload of SGs, but I would also like a lot of different guitars from a lot of different brands to fill every little niche that I could need.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I've only got two guitars that are similar, and the second one was bought deliberately to complement the first one in looks, no other reason at all. These are same models:

A national Chicagoan and a Bronson Singing Steel; the Bronson is actually pale blue, not grey. They are identical except for badge and cosmetics, though they do sound a little different. They are also the only guitar I have ever owned that have names. I call them Elvis and Marilyn.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 19, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well...i have multiples of a few brands. I buy what I like, essentially.

+1

A change is as good as a rest, and I like to have different ones, but like you I don't gig so I don't need clones in case I break a string. If I did I'd probably try to split the difference- have guitars that could cover similar tones but which are also a little different for a bit of variety.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like to use a range of pickups on my guitars to get many sounds out of each, but to have a few different guitars to really open up many tones. Having 10 strats with single coils or 10 les pauls just isn't worth it to me. I always think "can I do it with what I've got?" Usually yes. Especially with my Ibanez with evos and a true velvet middle. Not much it can't play using BIAS amp and FX
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Aug 19, 2015,
variety is often a good thing. i have a pair of strats but my humbucker guitars are different brands and fairly different in terms of tone and feel. now if i had to go with one brand i could but that can be kind of limiting depending on the brand. ibanez makes a pretty diverse line of guitars so sticking with them would still yield a pretty interesting range of styles.

no rules on this all about preference.
i have a good variety of guitars, but lots of doubles/tripples. seven gibsons, six fenders, three ibanez prestige, and a bunch of others that i haven't played much recently. i had two wolfgangs, and i sold one of them, and i will find another. i have all of my bases covered.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have no dupes in my collection and each one has different pickups and hard tail/trem set ups, I do have 2 washburns but totally different guitars, one is stock the other has Floyd and screaming demon. I have gone through many guitars in my time and some are still with me after 35 years. But never had 2 of the same.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Buy/Play whatever guitars you like, period. I had been on a huge Ibanez kick, but in the last year I've bought 2 MusicMan guitars and have an ESP Eclipse arriving today.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by dspellman
I couldn't tell you. I have a large stack of Gibsons, at least seven Carvins, four Agiles, three Moonstones. OTOH, I have a couple of Yamahas, a single Gretsch, a '92 Samick, a '39 Epiphone, four Line 6 Variaxes, a couple of Taylors, a Fender or two, a Nik Huber, etc.

If I have several of a single brand, it's largely because that brand has produced repeatable quality or favored styles of guitars. Except for Gibson and Variax, I mostly don't have two of the exact same guitar. I have no ESPs (I have one I want, but it's a custom that's going to be extremely hard to find), no Jacksons, two Ibanez (one is a solid body, one is a semi-hollow).

Where I have an identical two of something, it's usually because I need a backup (this is the case with the Variax JTV89F guitars).

That variax model is one I just recently came to consider - can you tell me why the need for a back up? is it just because its the safe thing to do given it could go haywire or is it because they are known to go haywire? Also - I se some youtube vids that showcase amazing accoustic sounds and others that sound like crap - what's the secret to good accoustic sounds?
I have two Les Pauls, One Strat Plus, One Tele, On Japanese Jackson with EMGs and two Schecters. If I had to thin it, I would keep the 90s les paul standard, the 90s strat plus at a minimum. Funny, the old Strat verses LP thing seems to hold true for me. Those are the two pillars. I might also keep the Jackson and would cry as the Tele left the house. I love the Tele. If I could only have one guitar ever, it might be a tele.

The Schecters I could part with with less pain.

I do indeed believe having multiple guitars can be inspirational. At a minimum, one guitar with a set of single coils and one with a good set of humbuckers. OK, maybe even a guitar with EMGs..... And don't forget the Acoustic! Is that an acoustic with a rosewood back or Mahogany? Maybe both? The mahogany might be brighter? Maybe two acoustics to cover the sound spectrum?
Quote by wazntme
That variax model is one I just recently came to consider - can you tell me why the need for a back up? is it just because its the safe thing to do given it could go haywire or is it because they are known to go haywire? Also - I se some youtube vids that showcase amazing accoustic sounds and others that sound like crap - what's the secret to good accoustic sounds?

I suspect it's because that model of Variax has a double locking trem, and if you're going to play a guitar like that live, you need a backup, even if you haven't broken a string at home/in practice in a decade.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suspect it's because that model of Variax has a double locking trem, and if you're going to play a guitar like that live, you need a backup, even if you haven't broken a string at home/in practice in a decade.

ok makes sense to me. thanks
As a home player (no band, no gigs, very rare jamming sessions), I tend to have one guitar always. My first electric was a copy fender called StarFire then I got a Jackson Rhoads Performer then Ibanez RG320FMAM which is my current guitar I am thinking of replacing with LTD EC1000S
Yes I have GAS. I have a number of Les Paul style guitars (Gibson, Epiphone, Agile, Ibanez and a couple Chibson knock offs) as well as two Fender Strats, a Tele, three acoustic/electrics, an Ibanez nylon string acoustic/electric, an Epiphone Sheraton, an Ibanez AF75 hollowbody Jazz style guitar a great 1982 Ibanez AM50 and a few others. I know it's way too many guitars for one person but it's just what I have acquired over the years and I am too fond of them (or too lazy) to sell them. They are my other children. None of them are very valuable or real collector item/wall mount museum pieces (except maybe my Gibson 1956 ES275) but I just like owning them.

I know that whatever style of guitar I need for gigs or recording, I pretty much have it. When I get a little bored playing gigs I can always get out a different sounding guitar that I haven't played in awhile, put on some new strings and take it out on job and get reacquainted and re-energized. Often when I go back to an older guitar there is a feeling like "Wow! Why don't I play this guitar more often".
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
^Completely agree with this. Its a great feeling picking up a guitar you haven't played for a while and realizing how awesome it is all over again. It can get the creativity flowing.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I started off thinking I needed a Strat a Tele a Les Paul and a 335. Now I have a variety of guitars all of which I enjoy but no Strats, no Teles, no Les Pauls and no 335s! I do have different guitars in those shapes though. What is important is the pickups and tone options available to you and ones you simply enjoy the feel of.