Greetings.

I have first used the search engine of the forums to see if there was an opened thread about vintage guitars, I haven't found any so if there is another one already I ask for your forgiveness.

I have been thinking about buying an electric guitar for a while, I had decided to go for an Epiphone Les Pauls standard plus pro, ( I have a soft spot for les pauls since I started to listen to led zeppelin) but I live in a shitty City and I have to order it online and the only web that sends to my city is thomman, and to my dismay they say they dont have it and that they don't plan on getting them in the stock. I do not know why the hell.

So I started to google around and I have found reports that vintage guitars are good, that often they come in need of adjustment, sometimes a lot, but that they are surprisingly good for the price. I am afraid because I am a noob and If I have to start adjusting stuff since day one I'm gonna brake it. I don't know anyone in my city that knows how to and the 2 depressingly bad instruments store dont know how to either. I have thought about buying this one:

http://www.thomann.de/es/vintage_v100it.htm

I'm not crazy for the colour but its the one i like the most.

So, any opinions?
Last edited by roger_waterssss at Aug 19, 2015,
Never heard of them before. Just browsing the website theres 5 pages of les Paul shaped guitars under 500 (euro?) . I'd say check eBay there probably shipping to you. A good way to get answers would be your location, max price, style, sound you want. Etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about adjustment. With a reputable guitar you'll probably have to tune, maybe adjust action. There's tons of walk through tutorial online. You most likely won't break anything.
they're a UK brand.

I think thomann pricing might not be the best on them (as i said, UK brand).

It's ages since I've tried them, and I haven't tried the one you're looking at. The old discontinued vintage advance series was quite nice if you got them cheap enough, i think they were maybe a step above the regular vintages, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've never looked hard at them but the ones I played were heavy as hell.
Vintage makes great copy guitars that are affordable. i have their SG stye guitar and like it way better than the epiphone equivalent. i say go for it. the only thing that may be a downside is that the pickups tend to be voiced a little on the dark side.
An ARIA PE Elite is probably better than both the Epi or the Vintage TBH. Especially if you can grab an old MIJ PE. Awesome guitars and much overlooked if you get into the £300+ bracket.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
My brother had one - I didn't really like the hardware (tuners went out quite a bit and pickups were a little weaker than an LP should have), but it was a solid guitar, heavy as hell with a set neck and sounded and felt pretty good. Better than Epiphone I think, but its a JHS brand (who also make Fret King and Encore) based in the UK - though if you have a bit more money, have a look for any lawsuit ones (Burny, Greco etc) for a really decent LP copy.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
My brother had one - I didn't really like the hardware (tuners went out quite a bit and pickups were a little weaker than an LP should have), but it was a solid guitar, heavy as hell with a set neck and sounded and felt pretty good. Better than Epiphone I think, but its a JHS brand (who also make Fret King and Encore) based in the UK - though if you have a bit more money, have a look for any lawsuit ones (Burny, Greco etc) for a really decent LP copy.

What do you mean with weaker? Low volume output?
i thought they were paf output. les pauls are meant to have fairly low output humbuckers. it's just in more recent times pickups have tended to have more output.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have read that the have passive pickups. Is that good? bad? will it interfere in any negative way with an audio interface?

Also, I have found that between the two models I'm considering to buy there is a 30$ difference, is it because something I'm missing? I think they are the same guitar but differente colours.

The most expesive one doesnt have a top but all other stuff is the same.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vintage_v100it.htm

This is the cheaper one:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vintage_v100tsb_electric_guitar.htm
Last edited by roger_waterssss at Aug 20, 2015,
Passive pickups is standard. You won't want actives for stuff like Led Zep anyway. Personally I wouldn't want actives anyway ever. It won't interfere with your interface anymore than any other electrical equipment will.

The more expensive one has a flame maple top. It's about looks. That's it. I'd go for the flame maple though xD
i'm not that well up on vintages, but i think to all intents and purposes they're the same guitar. the cheaper one has gold hardware and a plain maple veneer top (that's what it looks like; on the jhs site it says mahogany but it doesn't look like mahogany) while the dearer one has chrome hardware and a flamed maple veneer.

they should sound the same (or as close as two different guitars with the same specs should sound, anyway).

EDIT: I dunno about audio interfaces (i've never messed with them), but as dragonzrmetal said, passives are standard.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 20, 2015,
I've got a 2010 V100 and it's pretty decent, tuning pegs aren't amazing but replace them and you're sorted, oh and I've preferred it to any Epi LP I've tried
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
I have the Vintage V100 Peter Green model.First thing is it's very heavy(which i don't mind).When you sit down with it it feels bottom heavy so best to use a strap even when sat down.There's a small black mark on the top but it does'nt bother me for the price.Tuners as said are'nt the best but mine are ok and do the job.It stays in tune better than every Gibson i've owned.It feels much nicer to play than both Epis i've had.The neck is skinny for an LP style guitar.The pickups are much better than i expected,I was pleasantly surprised.
Overall it's a great guitar for the money.Also i believe Thommann give them a basic setup before the leave the warehouse.Mine is still as i got it and it plays great.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Aug 22, 2015,
^ I think most LPs are bottom-heavy when you sit down, it's kind of the nature of the beast as there's more mass towards the bottom of the body.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I think most LPs are bottom-heavy when you sit down, it's kind of the nature of the beast as there's more mass towards the bottom of the body.

Yeah,I think it just feels a little more noticable due to the weight of the guitar.
yeah if the guitar is on the heavy side as well i imagine that'd accentuate it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've tried several Vintage Les Paul style guitars recently. They get great reviews and they are very good value for money. The Lemon Drop and Peter Green model are especially good but I'll tell you what I bought instead. From the same family from JHS I bought the Fret King Ventura Super 60. Now first thing is it doesn't look like a Les Paul, in fact it doesn't look like anything else really but Trev Wilkinson designed it so you can be sure a lot of thought has gone into it. It is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played and addresses the issues others have raised about the Les Paul style being bottom heavy. The Ventura is not a light guitar. It's a very substantial, superbly made guitar and I bought it perfectly set up but the balance is incredible so it feels wonderful to play. Please don't ignore this guitar just because it looks different. It's different for a reason. If you really want a Les Paul style, have a look at the Fret King Eclat I think it's called but check out the videos on Youtube. I like Epiphone guitars but Gibson ration them out to dealers, even those as big as Thomann so that's probably why they can't get you one. Please take a look at Fret King. The Ethos of the company is very genuine and they deserve a decent share of the market.
Last edited by abutcher713 at Aug 24, 2015,
I has arrived finally...

I'm not 100 percent happy with the colour now that I see it in person, I looks a little bit faded.

Sound dwise... I expected a little bit more. My amplifier hasnt arrived yet (the online shop messed up) So I'm playing the guitar using the sound interface and through software like Guitar rig. And I'm using a 5.1 speaker system I have connected to the pc, and I have to say that I'm finding it quite mentally overwhelming. I dont know if Im doing something wrong when I try to simulate distorted/overdriven tones but I have a lot of trouble getting defined sound, Usually all the tones are to strident and messy. Maybe the pickus are too loud?

Last edited by roger_waterssss at Sep 5, 2015,
How does it play? if it's enjoyable to play then just switch the pickups out. Entwistles are bargain prices and will s**t all over those generic ones.

If it's not that great to play, return it, save up and get something nicer. You can get a second hand Edwards for £400n on today's market.