https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMUA7ksKg0

Some of my favorite chords, what are yours?

Also, what are some chord progressions that that favorite chord fit into?

A lot of the chords I put on here turned out to be maj7 and add9 (I knew the fingering before the name) I'm hoping to get some other great sounding chords and the progressions that go well with them.

Thanks
The E chord in the I-I-I-I progression.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
All chords.

What an original thread.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Jet Penguin
All chords.

What an original thread.

Even a synthetic chord consisting of all 53 tones of the 53 TET chromatic scale?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^Casual.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Last time I tried that on guitar I ended up in hospital :-)

STEP UP YO' GAME, JERRY!
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Last time I tried that on guitar I ended up in hospital :-)

Yeah, 53 string guitars are terrible on the back.
Favorite chord Augmented

What about favorite strin? Mines the G-string
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Quote by Jimjambanx
Might as well make a thread asking "what's your favourite note"

Favorite key would be better.

My favorite depends on what instrument I'm playing. On banjo I like A major (with a capo) and G minor. On pedal steel I like F and D on the front neck and C, A, and D on the back neck. On lap steel, I like D, C, A, and F. On mandolin, fiddle, and tenor banjo I like D major, E minor, and D minor. On tin whistle, I like E minor on a D whistle and D minor on a C whistle. On keyboard I like B minor and F# minor. On guitar I like G and A.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 21, 2015,
Quote by theogonia777
Favorite key would be better.

My favorite depends on what instrument I'm playing. On banjo I like A major (with a capo) and G minor. On pedal steel I like F and D on the front neck and C, A, and D on the back neck. On lap steel, I like D, C, A, and F. On mandolin, fiddle, and tenor banjo I like D major, E minor, and D minor. On tin whistle, I like E minor on a D whistle and D minor on a C whistle. On keyboard I like B minor and F# minor. On guitar I like G and A.

I never thought anyone would take such an obviously sarcastic comment so seriously.
I never thought anyone would take such an obviously sarcastic comment so seriously.
Major7b5 chords are pretty neat.

Dmin9 -> Bm7b5 -> Fmaj7b5 -> E7 -> Amin7 -> G7 -> A7 then you can repeat and instead of going to A7 you can resolve to Cmaj7
Last edited by NothingRocks at Aug 23, 2015,
Quote by NothingRocks
Major7b5 chords are pretty neat.

Dmin9 -> Bm7b5 -> Fmaj7b5 -> E7 -> Amin7 -> G7 -> A7 then you can repeat and instead of going to A7 you can resolve to Cmaj7

I guess the more correct name would be maj7#11, at least in this context (and I would say in most contexts). It would be strange to have a B (of the Bm7b5) followed by a Cb (of the Fmaj7b5) followed by a B again (of the E7 chord).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I guess the more correct name would be maj7#11, at least in this context (and I would say in most contexts). It would be strange to have a B (of the Bm7b5) followed by a Cb (of the Fmaj7b5) followed by a B again (of the E7 chord).

I disagree, I see a maj7#11 as potentially having the 5th and the sharped 4th which gives it more of a min9 -ish sound. Meanwhile maj7b5 is a lot more specific.
The chord name doesn't really tell about the voicing. Omitting the fifth from your voicing is very common, and I guess in this case it would even be advisable.

And I explained why Fmaj7#11 would make a lot more sense than Fmaj7b5. It's also diatonic to the key, Fmaj7b5 is not.

Fmaj7b5 could of course refer to a specific chord scale (though I don't know which - the scale would need to lack both the perfect fifth and the augmented 4th, because if it had either of them, it would be a maj7#11 chord) if you took a CST approach to it.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
There's something to do with voice leading considerations...
Fmaj7b5: F,A,Cb,E. b5 should resolve downwards, perhaps to a Bb in a Bb chord.
Fmaj7(#11): F,A,E,B. Yes, there may be a fifth, but the main notes are the third, seventh, and extensions. This shares proper notes with the other chords in context. No one in their right mind would go from Cb to B,a diminished second.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
The chord name doesn't really tell about the voicing. Omitting the fifth from your voicing is very common, and I guess in this case it would even be advisable.

And I explained why Fmaj7#11 would make a lot more sense than Fmaj7b5. It's also diatonic to the key, Fmaj7b5 is not.

Fmaj7b5 could of course refer to a specific chord scale (though I don't know which - the scale would need to lack both the perfect fifth and the augmented 4th, because if it had either of them, it would be a maj7#11 chord) if you took a CST approach to it.

Hmm maybe we're thinking in different keys here. I was putting it in A minor/C major starting on the ii. Like...

ii m9 - viiø7 - IV M7b5(M7#11) - III 7(V of vi) - vi m7 - V 7 - VI 7(V of ii)
ii m9 - viiø7 - IV M7b5(M7#11) - III 7(V of vi) - vi m7 - V 7 - I M7

I get the point about Cb to B. Notation is confusing and scary sometimes.
Yes, and Fmaj7#11 is diatonic to C major.

Whether we should call it a maj7#11 or maj7b5 is a lot about notation. If it's not actually a Cb, I don't think we should call it an Fmaj7b5.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine at #33564280
Yes, and Fmaj7#11 is diatonic to C major.

Whether we should call it a maj7#11 or maj7b5 is a lot about notation. If it's not actually a Cb, I don't think we should call it an Fmaj7b5.

I know I just wanted to clarify some things just in case. I suppose I'm biased towards using the M7b5 name due to improper learning.
x
x

So going from that,

<chord> progress to F Maj, add and accent A# on the G before changing back to <chord, then going to C Maj with a Cadd9 (as below, as the Cadd9 I saw in a chord listing was slightly different) on the last beat.

I'm pretty sure this is a Cadd9
x

Please correct me if I'm wrong on that
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
providing that a chord is more than one note, an octave, preferably in the second and third octaves when faced with their pitch on a piano.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by the chemist
x
x

So going from that,

<chord> progress to F Maj, add and accent A# on the G

Dude, learn your scale tones. F has no A#, but Bb.
Above chord is Bbmaj7.
Quote by NeoMvsEu
Dude, learn your scale tones. F has no A#, but Bb.

I can't even comment. I've always sucked at the #/b differential in scales

Above chord is Bbmaj7.

Perfect. Thanks!
Quote by Watterboy
Quote by the chemist
I can't even comment. I've always sucked at the #/b differential in scales

Perfect. Thanks!

Well, all diatonic scales have all the seven letters in them (A B C D E F G). A diatonic scale can't have A and A# in it. Also, the key signature should not mix sharps and flats.

I think it also becomes clear if we look at sheet music.

This is the Bb major scale. As you can see, the first one is pretty easy to read. But the second one is not. You can't instantly see that that's just a scale run. The third one is even easier to read because we use a fixed key signature (well, you can argue about that, but when we are in the key of Bb major, we assume that most of the notes we play will be in the Bb major scale, so it makes no sense to have a flat sign in front of every Bb and Eb).

Notating the Bb and Eb in Bb major as A# and D# just would not make sense.

But yeah, the same applies to F major. The notes are F G A Bb C D E, not F G A A# C D E. You use all of the seven letters, and it looks pretty on the sheet music.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Aug 24, 2015,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Well, all diatonic scales have all the seven letters in them (A B C D E F G). A diatonic scale can't have A and A# in it. Also, the key signature should not mix sharps and flats.

I think it also becomes clear if we look at sheet music.

This is the Bb major scale. As you can see, the first one is pretty easy to read. But the second one is not. You can't instantly see that that's just a scale run. The third one is even easier to read because we use a fixed key signature (well, you can argue about that, but when we are in the key of Bb major, we assume that most of the notes we play will be in the Bb major scale, so it makes no sense to have a flat sign in front of every Bb and Eb).

Notating the Bb and Eb in Bb major as A# and D# just would not make sense.

But yeah, the same applies to F major. The notes are F G A Bb C D E, not F G A A# C D E. You use all of the seven letters, and it looks pretty on the sheet music.

I totally understand that. I just herp a derp and don't pay attention to the scales themselves. I know the theory, just don't put it into practice.
Quote by Watterboy
^Just think about it as being conscientious and intelligent with your accidental, as to make the music as a easy to read and think about as possible.

Favorite chord?

D

Favorite progression it fits in?

D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D Dsus2 D D D D D D D D D D D D D
Bernie Sanders for President!