hello, i need help choosing an amp,

-Budget: 150.000 clp / 350 usd (blackstar id core 40 price here, so thats the reference)

-Genres: metal, rock, 3 doors down, metallica, disturbed, SOAD

-new, used market here is shit

-For home

-closest city is viña del mar, chile

-i have an spider IV 15W but i want something a bit better, it just needs to be for bedroom volume since i'll be jaming with another amp.

are the small tube amps worth it ? (laney cub, blackstar ht1, etc)
Last edited by STEGMAIER at Aug 20, 2015,
Quote by STEGMAIER

are the small tube amps worth it ? (laney cub, blackstar ht1, etc)

probably not for the types of music you're playing. they tend to be either low wattage vintage-style things (so more for classic rock, blues etc., and they generally have to be turned up loud to distort unless you're willing to use pedals for distortion), or they're actually (in my opinion) hybrids masquerading as all-tube amps (the blackstar).

Now, at that kind of budget the blackstar may well sound the best for the types of tone you want (I haven't tried it), so it's probably not worth biting off your nose to spite your face, but just go in with your eyes open.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think small tube amps are great. If it's just for the bedroom, even a 1 watt would be plenty loud. There are some high-gain ones, such the Orange Tini-Terror (I've never used that one myself).

However, if it's just for practice, you might just want a solid state for reliability. The Roland Cube Street is supposed to be great, also versatile. The Peavey Bandit's are great for what they are too.
i think small tube amps are great, too, but there are a bunch of caveats that you need to know before you get one:

(a) they're not bedroom volume if you want to crank them (as you said, even 1 watt is plenty loud- actually "too loud", most likely)

(b) they're generally aimed at more vintage tones- not always, but most of the more common ones you'll come across, especially the cheaper ones, are

(c) considering more modern/higher gain tones rely mainly on the preamp for distortion, not to mention that higher wattage amps generally sound better for higher gain tones (more headroom in the power amp) and also often sound better than low wattage amps when turned way down (e.g. for bedroom-level volumes), it doesn't make a massive amount of sense, IMO, to get a low wattage amp for high gain tones at bedroom volume (there are a few exceptions I guess).

(d) the big problem is that they're marketed as being crankable in a home situation, and they basically aren't. and they're also marketed as being able to achieve power tube distortion at home volumes which sounds better, which is only true for certain types of tones (generally older tones), plus as I said, it's not really achievable at home volumes anyway for most people. they're also marketed as sounding the same as a big amp cranked but at a lower volume, which is not really true either- they sound like a small amp cranked.

they're useful for recording, where they're a bit more crankable than the big amps, assuming the sound of a small amp cranked is what you want.

Also I wouldn't really call the tiny terror that high gain, it's more of a hard rock amp and I doubt it's super-tight for metal (it's ages since I've tried one).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 20, 2015,
Quote by Leather Sleeves
I think small tube amps are great. If it's just for the bedroom, even a 1 watt would be plenty loud. There are some high-gain ones, such the Orange Tini-Terror (I've never used that one myself).

However, if it's just for practice, you might just want a solid state for reliability.
The Roland Cube Street is supposed to be great, also versatile. The Peavey Bandit's are great for what they are too.

come on.

just because he is using the amp at home and for practice doesn't mean that he shouldn't get a tube amp.

SS is more reliable in the aspect that tube amps do need tubes from time to time, usually several years in a lot of cases. however tube amps are more easily repairable than most SS amps. that is the same argument not wanting a guitar because you have to buy strings.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For what it's worth I have an HT-5 and although it's sold as a 5 watt, the label says Max Output 40 watts.
Quote by highgear
For what it's worth I have an HT-5 and although it's sold as a 5 watt, the label says Max Output 40 watts.

that is different. that is maximum power consumption (IIRC), not amplifier output. two different things.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ yeah.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
come on.

just because he is using the amp at home and for practice doesn't mean that he shouldn't get a tube amp.

SS is more reliable in the aspect that tube amps do need tubes from time to time, usually several years in a lot of cases. however tube amps are more easily repairable than most SS amps. that is the same argument not wanting a guitar because you have to buy strings.

plus if anything a tube amp is taxed less with home use- it's moved around less, and tends to be used at very low volumes which don't tax the power tubes much.

that's also one of the advantages of the low wattage tube amps- they don't need many tubes usually (so a retube is cheap) and they normally don't need to be biased as they're single-ended, so tube swaps are plug-and-play.

(note: the blackstar HT series does need to be rebiased for power tube changes. it's the exception.)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?