Hello,

I've been wanting an LP since I started playing guitars and I really like the looks of the LP juniors, Would it be wise to buy a epiphone Les Paul Junior and replace the pickup for a better sound?

Luke
I wouldn't. Epiphone LP Juniors/Specials are shit. Very poorly and cheaply made.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
^+1

The bolt on Epiphones are crap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you're patient, people sell Gibson LP jr's for about $400 sometimes. Not mega cheap, but definitely worth it over an Epiphone equivalent.

If you have to buy a cheap one, I'd make it a point to try it first. Quality on cheap guitars vary so wildly. A bunch will suck, but a bunch will be good. Better to know what you're getting before you spend the cash.
There must be other manufacturers that'll bolt a P90 onto a mahogany plank, right?

That plus a neck is a junior, pretty much I think.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Last edited by icanhasgodmode at Aug 20, 2015,
Quote by luke.geelen
Hi
Could I better go for a Epi LP studio goth?

Luke

If you go that way, you might also look at the ESP LTD EC-400. First and foremost, try before you buy!

What kind of sound do you want to achieve, what kind of music do you like (both genre/bands)? What kind of amp do you have? And where do you live?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Hello,

In general I like pop-punk kinda music like sum-41's all killer no filler, green-day, all time low, New Found Glory, and not really in the genre but also like Joan Jett.
I have a Vox VT20 and live in the netherlands.
I kinda like the color of the goth line but don't really play metal like music.
There is a used LP studio goth for sale (used) for €175.

Luke
Last edited by luke.geelen at Aug 20, 2015,
They’re decent guitars if you gut the electronics. Buy it in person so you can make sure they didn’t botch the fret ends, tho.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
There must be other manufacturers that'll bolt a P90 onto a mahogany plank, right?

Reverend has the Sensei Jr, a doublecut korina body with a bridge P90:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=reverend+sensei+jr.&sort=price%7Casc

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-Instruments-Gear-/619/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=reverend+sensei+jr&_sop=15
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by luke.geelen
Hi
Could I better go for a Epi LP studio goth?

Luke

Those are solid guitars, much better than the Epi LPJr you were looking at.
Go try it out if you can
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
these are sick. i played one tonight at rehearsal.

http://sublimeguitarco.com/product/tux-j/

they aren't well known at all, but i have one of their semi hollow (discontinued) as well as three other guys at church.

edit: i should have added, that its a set neck AANJ with a graphtech wraparound and a tusq nut with grover tuners. under $400
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Aug 20, 2015,
Quote by Tony Done
Those of you that don't like the Epi LP Jr, what kind of things are wrong with them?

the bolt on neck Epiphones are the cheapest guitars Epi makes. They are typically not very good quality when compared to their set neck guitars like the studio LP you mentioned. Most people here, me included think of them as cheap toys and not a good starter guitar.

There is a reason they are so cheap new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree that the Epi LP Junior's are not very good. While I am a big fan of Epiphone guitars (I own five of them), the LP Jr. was not meant to be anything more than an intro student modal and as that they are OK. I wouldn't spend money on buying an Epi LP Jr. then spend more money changing stuff.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 21, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
these are sick. i played one tonight at rehearsal.

http://sublimeguitarco.com/product/tux-j/

they aren't well known at all, but i have one of their semi hollow (discontinued) as well as three other guys at church.

edit: i should have added, that its a set neck AANJ with a graphtech wraparound and a tusq nut with grover tuners. under $400

I have seen very good reviews of sublime guitars godin also dose a few p90 lpj type guitars.
Godin DOES have some nice P90 style guitars, but in don't recall any of them being single-pickup solidbodies.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by luke.geelen
Hello,

I've been wanting an LP since I started playing guitars and I really like the looks of the LP juniors, Would it be wise to buy a epiphone Les Paul Junior and replace the pickup for a better sound?

Luke

I understand you want an LP style guitar, but you have mentioned a LP Jr and Goth by name- 2 fairly different guitars, in quality, visual aesthetics and (because of very different pickups) tone.

For clarity, what kind of music do you trend to play on your LP? What kind of budget? Those answers will let us help you more!

Edit: Damn it- somehow, I missed this post. Sorry!

Quote by luke.geelen
Hello,

In general I like pop-punk kinda music like sum-41's all killer no filler, green-day, all time low, New Found Glory, and not really in the genre but also like Joan Jett.
I have a Vox VT20 and live in the netherlands.
I kinda like the color of the goth line but don't really play metal like music.
There is a used LP studio goth for sale (used) for €175.

Luke

The first thing I'd say is, if you can, be patient and save up your money and buy a decent guitar. Don't buy something cheap and try to upgrade it- it generally isn't worth your time & trouble.

The second thing I'd say is that a guitar with humbuckers, P90s, or certain other kinds of oversized/overwound singlecoils would be good for the music you're talking about.

Just looking at eBay, I found a few options in the $300-650 range, which I post to give you an idea of what's out there. (Unfortunately, I couldn't select for body style.)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Electric-/33034/i.html?_from=R40&String%2520Configuration=6%2520String%7C%21&Body%2520Type=Solid%7C%21&Dexterity=Right%252DHanded&_sop=15&Brand=Agile%7CBurns%7CGodin%7CHagstrom%7CParker&_nkw=guitar&_dcat=33034&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=300&_udhi=650

On that list, I'd look most closely at the Godins.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 21, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
the bolt on neck Epiphones are the cheapest guitars Epi makes. They are typically not very good quality when compared to their set neck guitars like the studio LP you mentioned. Most people here, me included think of them as cheap toys and not a good starter guitar.

There is a reason they are so cheap new.

Thanks for answering, I thought I might be met by stony silence.

OK, but what specifically are the kinds of problems you encounter in these cheap Epis? I'm not suggesting you are wrong, but I'm very much in the "upgrade cheapos" camp, and wonder about such things. As an example, I like my Oz$65 Peavey better than my mates Gibson 339 for playability and tone, but it sure doesn't look as nice.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Godin DOES have some nice P90 style guitars, but in don't recall any of them being single-pickup solidbodies.

I meant more mahogany set neck there all 2 pickup as far as I know. And now that I look it's Chamered mahogany with a maple top so maybe not a lpj replacement.
Quote by Tony Done
Those of you that don't like the Epi LP Jr, what kind of things are wrong with them?

I guess most of the haters never owned one or just had them in their hands for a few minutes...
or they just heard on the web about them....

and suggest guitars triple or more of the price...

that helps alot
Quote by Tony Done

OK, but what specifically are the kinds of problems you encounter in these cheap Epis? I'm not suggesting you are wrong, but I'm very much in the "upgrade cheapos" camp, and wonder about such things. As an example, I like my Oz$65 Peavey better than my mates Gibson 339 for playability and tone, but it sure doesn't look as nice.

Have you thought about to ask at other places on the web,
where lots of people own, play and love their Epi Juniors ?

Quote by Tony Done

the fit and finish is not always the best. The frets are often not dressed properly and they just feel cheap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by paruwi
I guess most of the haters never owned one or just had them in their hands for a few minutes...
or they just heard on the web about them....

and suggest guitars triple or more of the price...

that helps alot

The thought had crossed my mind -wikiwisdom - information by hearsay, not first hand experience. I don't mind hearsay, as long as it is made clear that is what it is. Eg "this guitar is reputed to be.....".
Quote by Tony Done

1. muddy pickup(s)
2. poor fretjob (give your hand a slide down the side of the neck, ouch)
3. they don't stay in tune well, likely a bad nut and cheap tuning machines.

that is enough for me to not want to pick one up.

but, all of those things are fixable. but for me, it isn't worth the time or money.

there ARE certain guitars that are stupid good for the money, i have a 1982 peavey USA horizon II, paid $40 and it is absolutely stunning. it is up there with guitars that are easily into the $1000 range. yes it was bought used, but its in immaculate condition, and sounds and plays great.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
1. muddy pickup(s)
2. poor fretjob (give your hand a slide down the side of the neck, ouch)
3. they don't stay in tune well, likely a bad nut and cheap tuning machines.

that is enough for me to not want to pick one up.

but, all of those things are fixable. but for me, it isn't worth the time or money.

there ARE certain guitars that are stupid good for the money, i have a 1982 peavey USA horizon II, paid $40 and it is absolutely stunning. it is up there with guitars that are easily into the $1000 range. yes it was bought used, but its in immaculate condition, and sounds and plays great.

this in a nutshell. while at the $99 (and often less) price point that epi is better than some other options it's still an entry level guitar. for that price you just can't expect all that much. i've also played a few that had loose neck pockets which is a bad thing for bolt ons. when the cost of "fixing" it comes to more than the guitar is worth then perhaps it's not worth doing.