I bought a Peavey XXX a few months back and I see that it has a 1/4" adapter for the foot switch. I have came to a point in song's and I have to pause to reach out and switch from the Ultra to the clean channel. I want to get a footswitch to switch from clean from ultra. I was wondering if I could just buy a cheap momentary switch to get the job done. I see the 3 switch banks only come with a 7 pin connector and that will not fit. I look up the owners manual and it shows other models of the XXX and not the one I own. The one I own is not the EFX model. The other models I find show a different control bank. I found one review on the the cheaper footswitch say's that the switch turns reverb on and off. Any info would be appreciated.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Pictures would help (back panel and model tag) because I was under the impression that all XXX's used a 7 pin cable?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
This is not my amp but the exact same one. https://reverb.com/item/997458-peavey-xxx-super-40-112-combo I am not sure how to post picture on this forum. Do I have to assign it to a web page?
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
What is the boost switch for?
Quote by tysona23
What is the boost switch for?

"(36) Volume Boost Button
Depressing this switch allows you to toggle your volume boost on or off. Set your volume boost (17 or 25 depending on which version of the amp you own) and then kick this button everytime the drummer gets too loud!"

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/triplex40efx.pdf

Note that the manual linked is for BOTH your version and the EFX version, with appropriate caveats contained therein.
Charles Darwin
Looks like they wont be accepting orders for a few days. Is that a reputable site?
I received my switch, today. The only problem is that it will only switch the boost on and not change the channel.
Quote by tysona23
I received my switch, today. The only problem is that it will only switch the boost on and not change the channel.

Are you using a stereo cable? A standard mono guitar cable will NOT work.
Charles Darwin
Yes, I used 2 different stereo cables. I will try another when I get home. I was on lunch at the time and had to get back. I followed the instruction in the manual on how to activate the remote switch.
Assuming the cable isn't the issue, either the switch is bad or the amp has a problem. Does the channel LED on the switch turn on an off?

I'd call the switch folks and see what they have to say.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 27, 2015,
No, LED function on the switch. I contacted them VIA email.
On the regular XXX, you can't switch into Ultra mode with a foot switch unless the toggle switch on the amp is pointing to Ultra . Don't know if that is your issue or not, but it is worth trying.
It was on the Ultra channel. I have to double check and make sure it is a TRS stereo cable. It might not be.
This is a TRS end
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know for sure it was a speaker cable. I am just not 100 percent it was a TRS. I'm guessing that is probably the issue. I am trying to find one stored away or someone around town. The problem is I live is a really small town and will probably have to wait for shipping.
My TRS cable came and the switch works flawless. I really like it and feel like I can start making some progress with my skill level. It sure beat switching the amp during the middle of a song.
Quote by tysona23
My TRS cable came and the switch works flawless. I really like it and feel like I can start making some progress with my skill level. It sure beat switching the amp during the middle of a song.

Glad you were able to get it working!
Charles Darwin