Hello UG!

So I'm working at a Guitar shop as a intern for the IT stuff and naturally as a guitar player, I walked trough the store and played some of them. But there were a few guitars that peaked my interest.

The brand of the guitars was Silver Star and they looked beautifull to me and weren't expensive at all. I know that pictures are required so I WILL post them tomorrow .

But the thing is, I've never heard of these guitars nor did I know anything about it and neither did the store owner or the repair mens from the store. So I looked online and there was no info or whatsoever about the Guitar brand.

Is there anyone who knows anything about these guitars??? Like I said pictures will follow
The guitars are made in Korea btw.
Last edited by BlazeBee at Aug 20, 2015,
I think some of the Silver Stars are also Chinese.

Near as I can tell, they're an inexpensive Asian import line...which usually means they're nothing special.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
incheon korea.

032-817-1631

they look like guitars. the proof is in the playing....
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 20, 2015,
Thank you dthmtl3! Thats a little bit more info about silver star.

And like I said, here is the pic of the guitar. Sorry for the tiny and weird square pic, I wasnt allowed to upload anything above the 97kb or bigger than 500x500... Such a pain in the ass...

I actually found the guitar on the website too.
Its a Silver Star UTC252S.

BODY : MAHOGANY/FLAME TOP
NECK : HARD MAPLE,SET NECK
F/B : ROSE WOOD
SCALE : 25.5"
PICKUP : 1S1HB
CONTROL : 1V1T3T/SW 1JACK
BRIDGE : BT-104
COLOR : BKB

The guitar looks beautiful to me and it played pretty good too. The sound wasn't really that great, it didn't really sound like a tele at all, but I was thinking that maybe some different pickups would make it a into a great guitar (and maybe later on replace some other things but lets just keep it at the pups first ).

What do you guys think ?

And the quilt top on the guitar is fake. Thats what I think atleast. The site says that it is a flame top but I doubt it. Maybe someone knows a way to check that?

The price is €335, but its on sale for €269.
Attachments:
liif.jpg
Last edited by BlazeBee at Aug 21, 2015,
Quote by BlazeBee
Thank you dthmtl3! Thats a little bit more info about silver star.

And like I said, here is the pic of the guitar. Sorry for the tiny and weird square pic, I wasnt allowed to upload anything above the 97kb or bigger than 500x500... Such a pain in the ass...

I actually found the guitar on the website too.
Its a Silver Star UTC252S.

BODY : MAHOGANY/FLAME TOP
NECK : HARD MAPLE,SET NECK
F/B : ROSE WOOD
SCALE : 25.5"
PICKUP : 1S1HB
CONTROL : 1V1T3T/SW 1JACK
BRIDGE : BT-104
COLOR : BKB

The guitar looks beautiful to me and it played pretty good too. The sound wasn't really that great, it didn't really sound like a tele at all, but I was thinking that maybe some different pickups would make it a into a great guitar (and maybe later on replace some other things but lets just keep it at the pups first ).

What do you guys think ?

And the quilt top on the guitar is fake. Thats what I think atleast. The site says that it is a flame top but I doubt it. Maybe someone knows a way to check that?

The price is €335, but its on sale for €269.

one way to "look for maple" is to pull out a vol or tone pot or pull out the jack and look at the wood from inside the hole. a real maple top will have a pretty thick section of wood present where it is glued down to the body wood. the difference in color and grain will be obvious. provided paint isn't slopped in the hole in which you'll have to scrape some off. a pick up pocket can also tell the tale but there is usually (or should be) shielding paint in there as well. you'll need to scrape it off a tiny bit to look for the glue line.

some guitars have "flame maple veneer" laying there in wait to deceive you. this will be noticed as well and will appear much thinner.

it's all about getting a view of a cross section of clean wood so you can see what the thing is made from.

it looks like bookmatched flame maple. but whether it is soild, veneer, or graphics only you can find out.
Quote by ad_works
one way to "look for maple" is to pull out a vol or tone pot or pull out the jack and look at the wood from inside the hole. a real maple top will have a pretty thick section of wood present where it is glued down to the body wood. the difference in color and grain will be obvious. provided paint isn't slopped in the hole in which you'll have to scrape some off. a pick up pocket can also tell the tale but there is usually (or should be) shielding paint in there as well. you'll need to scrape it off a tiny bit to look for the glue line.

some guitars have "flame maple veneer" laying there in wait to deceive you. this will be noticed as well and will appear much thinner.

it's all about getting a view of a cross section of clean wood so you can see what the thing is made from.

it looks like bookmatched flame maple. but whether it is soild, veneer, or graphics only you can find out.

Hmm, okay that is quite interesting. Thanks for the info

I actually think that its flame maple veneer top bacause of the price of the guitar. The guitar is €335(now on sale for €269) and I dont think that its possible to get a maple top for that price.

The Epiphone Limited Edition Nighthawk Custom Quilt for example has got a maple veneer top and its priced €337 at musiciansfriend.com, so my theory isnt really too far fatched dont ya think???