Hi guys,
Looking for some kind of plug in for cubase that i can get a good bass guitar sound from, as i currently have no bass but am looking to record. any suggestions?
BTW i'm using a windows PC with cubase 5
Thanks
preferably free but if there's a paid one that's decent value for money i'll fork out
I think the TS is saying he doesnt have a bass guitar, and what he is actually looking for is a VSTi.

I think the go-to software is Trilian Bass. Ive never used it, but ive listened to samples and they sound really good. It sounded a lot like zombass to me. Id recommend zombass to you, but you need kontakt for it which is really expensive. I think Trilian works standalone, but it might be $200

While we are on this subject, ive noticed that I can never get a good direct DI bass sound that sounds anything like either zombass or trilian. Anybody know what kind of bass they used and any particular setup? Their DIs sound amazing to me
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Aug 20, 2015,
Puremagnetik has a nice sample set that comes in for pretty cheap if you're not happy with any free ones you find.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Watterboy
While we are on this subject, ive noticed that I can never get a good direct DI bass sound that sounds anything like either zombass or trilian. Anybody know what kind of bass they used and any particular setup? Their DIs sound amazing to me

Are you just using the clean DI itself? Try running into a bass amp simulator (I use the Ignite freeware one, think it's called the SHB-01 or something like that, google Ignite amps for their site) and then go into LeCab (impulse response loader for cab simulation) with some bass cab IRs I have.

If you're still not feeling it, must be down to compression/EQ etc. that is preventing you achieving what you want.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Are you just using the clean DI itself? Try running into a bass amp simulator (I use the Ignite freeware one, think it's called the SHB-01 or something like that, google Ignite amps for their site) and then go into LeCab (impulse response loader for cab simulation) with some bass cab IRs I have.

If you're still not feeling it, must be down to compression/EQ etc. that is preventing you achieving what you want.

Arent Trilian and Zombass' samples direct though? Like, when Ive used bass guitar vstis, I have still had to add a bass amp sim and cab sim to them to complete the chain- and every tutorial Ive seen also applies the amp sims to the vstis also. They have a really great DI bass sound, it im pretty sure its raw DI. Heres an example:

http://youtu.be/1xPcNh5JQkM

Is it P-bass? I only have a jazz bass right now. And according to the name of the setting, I guess its fingered and not picked which surprises me. But yea, the DI from Trilian is raw and then they add effects. I must figure out how to get that sound with my own bass!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Aug 21, 2015,
Well, watching on my phone so couldn't see the stuff to clearly but looks like Trillian has a load of effects there to play with that you could add to the DI either going into your interface (if you have any outboard) or in your DAW before the amp sim or even elsewhere in the chain - there's compression and EQ by the looks of it and you could go as in-depth as you want to the smaller details (transient shaping/enveloping etc.).

But tbh, I've never had much of an issue finding bass sounds I like, and have never used Trillian etc. to compare to. Before I had a bass to track demos with, I used to just use Logic's own bass simulation, but it wasn't as good as a real guitar to play the tracks on.
Quote by Watterboy
Arent Trilian and Zombass' samples direct though? Like, when Ive used bass guitar vstis, I have still had to add a bass amp sim and cab sim to them to complete the chain- and every tutorial Ive seen also applies the amp sims to the vstis also. They have a really great DI bass sound, it im pretty sure its raw DI. Heres an example:

Is it P-bass? I only have a jazz bass right now. And according to the name of the setting, I guess its fingered and not picked which surprises me. But yea, the DI from Trilian is raw and then they add effects. I must figure out how to get that sound with my own bass!

Not all DI units are created equal. They're probably using a REDDI or at the very least an Avalon U5. Those things will blow any consumer interface's DI out of the water - I even noticed a difference between a U5 I'm borrowing and my Apogee Duet 2, which has insanely clean inputs.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
^ All that being said, I've not had any problems going direct into my gen. 1 Duet, and even though I have a dbx DI box I've never actually felt the need to use it for going straight into the Duet. I only even bought a DI box so I could split signals going into a guitar amp and get a clean DI ahead of the amp
Im going direct into my rme babyface- but again, I dont understand how they get their raw sound, regardless of compression and eq. Im mostly wondering what kind of bass they used- i noticed in the video that I posted, they scooped the shit out of the midrange, but im not sure exactly what frequency because ypur mids could be anywhere from 300 to 5khz lol
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by DisarmGoliath
^ All that being said, I've not had any problems going direct into my gen. 1 Duet, and even though I have a dbx DI box I've never actually felt the need to use it for going straight into the Duet. I only even bought a DI box so I could split signals going into a guitar amp and get a clean DI ahead of the amp

Oh, no, the duet rocks, don't get me wrong. Just saying that really shows how good a nice outboard DI can be, especially one made for bass.

I'll listen to that video on my monitors tonight and see if I can ID the bass. Ten bucks says it's a P or J.

edit: the picture in the plugin in the video is a stingray, they have a VERY unique sound that may be what you're looking for. You can get their budget models for fairly cheap, that should get you like 85% of the way if that's what you want. I'll listen later and see if it sounds like a stringray, but that's what it is in the pic.

edit2: this is straight from their website...
Inspiring brand new Electric Basses include: 5-string Music Man™ Studio Bass, Clean Fender Jazz Bass®, Epiphone™ Retro 60’s Bass, Hardcore Rock 5-string, Lakland™ Rock P-Bass and Chapman Stick®

Combining that info with the pic in the preset, that's a music man for sure. Probably played with a pick through a bitchin' DI like a REDDI.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Aug 21, 2015,
That's not a pure raw DI sound. There's definitely some analog saturation on it, most likely on a preamp. As well, the VSTi itselft has a 'Distressor' in it, which really accentuates that growling sound. It sounds like a Stingray into an analog pre, into some EQ, then a Distressor.

I could be wrong however. Definitely not raw bass signal though.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Last edited by the chemist at Aug 24, 2015,