Page 1 of 2
Iv been thinking lately of all the recent crimes that have been, and continue to be committed. Iv decided that punishments more often than not are unsuitable for the offenses, and that criminals are getting more of what they "want" and less of what they "need". So my question is, what punishments would you mandate if given the ability? The basic criteria is as follows.
1: Murder/manslaughter
2: Rape/ molestation/kidnapping
3: Theft/fraud
4: Extortion/racketeering (drugs trafficking/distribution included)
5: Inchoate Crimes of any of the above

Would love to see some reasonings for things and how implementation of these ideas would either benefit or harm society.
This thread is dumb. It all entirely depends on the specific circumstances of the crime in question.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
1. Nothing
2. Nothing
3. Nothing
4. Nothing
5. Nothing

Abolish all laws, prisons and police. No compromise is acceptable.
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

please listen to Dingo and TRON MAXIMUM !!
Quote by LauraMarx
1. Nothing
2. Nothing
3. Nothing
4. Nothing
5. Nothing

Abolish all laws, prisons and police. No compromise is acceptable.

or
1. Death
2. Death
3. Death
4. Death
5. Death

kill EVERYONE.

I don't actually advocate this

A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
This thread is dumb. It all entirely depends on the specific circumstances of the crime in question.

Disregard specifics of the individual crime... looking for more black/white, cut and dry, bare minimum penalties.
Quote by Pastafarian96
or
1. Death
2. Death
3. Death
4. Death
5. Death

kill EVERYONE.

I actually advocate this

Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

create some massive island continent and send all the criminals there. sorted
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Dick Savage at #33560262
Disregard specifics of the individual crime... looking for more black/white, cut and dry, bare minimum penalties.

Arkham Asylum
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I don't think prison is helpful for anyone. I think approaching a justice system with a focus on "punishment" rather than "reform/exclusion" is socially-accepted cruelty. Basically more people need a utilitarian attitude.
Quote by Dick Savage at #33560262

Because mandatory minimums with no attention paid to context are such a good idea.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I really don't think TS is prepared to think rationally.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33560267
I don't think prison is helpful for anyone. I think approaching a justice system with a focus on "punishment" rather than "reform/exclusion" is socially-accepted cruelty. Basically more people need a utilitarian attitude.

yeah.

the conditions in our prisons and our view of 'criminals' ends up creating more crime and a vicious cycle as well. it's not just 'feel good' stuff; it's the right thing from a 'practical' perspective too.
Quote by necrosis1193

Yes they are wonderful idea for this purpose. It prevents being bogged down in the "ins and outs" (the details)

Here in the United States we have no real consequences for actions and what i mean by that is, giving someone 5yrs in prison for child molestation doesn't exactly fit the bill. I think the word punishment would better be replaced by consequence.

Keeping the details to a minimum keeps the discussion from being bloated just like our law books (archives!!)

Basically i just want to know others opinions on bare bones crimes and how they would be met with what consequence.

I am in absolutely no way going to personally agree to rehabilitation of a serial child molester....not worth our tax dollars, nor our time.

Consequence or punishment should absolutely be used as a deterrent by society. I say "make examples, and get results".
Quote by Dick Savage
Consequence or punishment should absolutely be used as a deterrent by society. I say "make examples, and get results".

Alright Margaret Thatcher

And what should happen to a person who is wrongfully incarcerated? How can you atone for a Type I error (the most egregious of offenses)?
Quote by Zaphikh
And what should happen to a person who is wrongfully incarcerated? How can you atone for a Type I error (the most egregious of offenses)?

which is a reason the death sentence is actually a load of horseshit in many respects.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Zaphikh

This has no bearing on the internal flaws of the (in)justice system.

Ill make this overly simplistic, bexause apparently im incabable of articulating my post in a way thats conducive to my goals so.....here goes

If there was a caught in the act child rapist in front of you and you were a judge weilding unlimited power what would you do?
Quote by Dick Savage at #33560289
This has no bearing on the internal flaws of the (in)justice system.

Ill make this overly simplistic, bexause apparently im incabable of articulating my post in a way thats conducive to my goals so.....here goes

If there was a caught in the act child rapist in front of you and you were a judge weilding unlimited power what would you do?

Wrongful incarceration has no bearing on internal flaws of a justice system? Are you being fucking serious? The one thing they're not supposed to fuck up has nothing to do with whether the system is effective or not?
Quote by Dick Savage

send him to jail, there's little to no mercy for paedophiles in prison
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Wrongful incarceration has no bearing on internal flaws of a justice system? Are you being fucking serious? The one thing they're not supposed to fuck up has nothing to do with whether the system is effective or not?

No it has no bearing in my original question. I am not yere making a proposal to fix wrongful incarceration, we all know it happens far to frequently and that it is tragic. I now ask you the same question i asked Frank.
Quote by Dick Savage at #33560255
Iv been thinking lately of all the recent crimes that have been, and continue to be committed.

Have you, now?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33560267

I disagree with the first part. I think prison is helpful to society because it keeps them away from criminals who can't really be reformed, such as some serial murderers, some terrorists, and the like.
Free Ali
5 bucks says TS doesn't even have the attention span to read through Crime and Punishment.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi at #33560311
5 bucks says TS doesn't even have the attention span to read through Crime and Punishment.

You'd lose that bet. I mean, the guy has thought about all crimes that have been committed recently. All of them.
Free Ali
Quote by Xiaoxi

Except im an Autodidact. Just have a hard time communicating in written word (always have). Speaking on the other hand comes much more naturally to me.

I was pre accepted to SCAD at age 8 and i apparently have an IQ of 168 tested by Duke University 3 times from age 7-10.

Look, i seriously have a hard time trying to say what i want on paper, i am a very contextual speaker and i use my hands alot when i speak.

Go Go gadget flameproof vest!!!!
Nobody gives a shit about your IQ

There I said it

Also you're allowed to have opinions on the punishment for crimes
My God, it's full of stars!
Nobody gives a shit about your IQ

You honestly think i dont know that? I just put forward the information i didnt ask anyone to care.
Quote by Dick Savage
You honestly think i dont know that? I just put forward the information i didnt ask anyone to care.

very profound. it takes a certain type of person to be as bold as you. much respect.
Quote by Dick Savage
Except im an Autodidact. Just have a hard time communicating in written word (always have). Speaking on the other hand comes much more naturally to me.

I was pre accepted to SCAD at age 8 and i apparently have an IQ of 168 tested by Duke University 3 times from age 7-10.

I have an IQ of 169.

And I still couldn't finish Crime and Punishment

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by severed-metal
very profound. it takes a certain type of person to be as bold as you. much respect.

Thank you, i sincerely appreciate that.

I obviously dont live up to the rest of these peoples expectations. And maybe im not very good at being a "keyboard warrior" iv joined this community thinking i could take positive sentiments from others and maybe develop some positive relationships or even friendships. But all i have really learned from my very short time here is how depressing reality actually is, and how cruel people are on a whim on a daily basis. Im sorry but i think im ready to resign.
yeah this forum is pretty passive aggressive dude. no offence, I was just making a joke at how you bolded your words. no offence intended.
Quote by Dick Savage
Thank you, i sincerely appreciate that.

I obviously dont live up to the rest of these peoples expectations. And maybe im not very good at being a "keyboard warrior" iv joined this community thinking i could take positive sentiments from others and maybe develop some positive relationships or even friendships. But all i have really learned from my very short time here is how depressing reality actually is, and how cruel people are on a whim on a daily basis. Im sorry but i think im ready to resign.

The Pit is nowhere near a reflection of "how depressing reality is."

Also I consider myself active aggressive, not passive aggressive
Quote by slipknot5678 at #33560338
my iq is only 100 does this make me stupid?

Pretty sure that makes you the Einstein of birds m8
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I have an IQ of 169.

And I still couldn't finish Crime and Punishment

wait to burn by 1 point
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by CL/\SH at #33560345
Pretty sure that makes you the Einstein of birds m8

you underestimate the intelligence of my fellow birds.
Why would you read such a long book, like do you really not understand what crimes and punishments are
But hey bud I do think this is a good thread idea. You are welcome here to the forums
Page 1 of 2