Looking for good gear to use for Funeral Doom melodies. Trying to get that Ahab-esque quality and dreaminess.
I currently run a Dean ML79 into a Boss Metal Zone into a Fender M80b bass amp.
My wishlist is currently:
Eventide Space
Delay: 2 of them, but im not super familiar with the current market
Flanger: used to love my danelectro hashbrowns flange, but it craped out as Danos often do. i dont need that jet taking off sound, so what are some mellower flanges on the market
i know id like a different amp,something for guitar, but can still handle those super low tones.
any other thoughts?

EDIT: Also, could we possibly not argue about the Metal Zone? It suites my needs rather well.
Last edited by gratefulduck at Aug 20, 2015,
i would look into (assuming funeral doom is like the more classic doom metal) an old sunn or older ampeg SS amp and i would recommend if you can find something with both 12"s and 15"s (i use that cab configuration with one of my splawns for different purposes though). and get a fuzz as well. and for delay if you want analog i would highly recommend malekko. i have the 616 and the 616 lo-fi, they are hard to beat.

post up a link of the tone you are looking for and a budget. that will help you more than my above aimless rambling.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
This is Ahab, i think about the closest to the vein of what I'm trying to do.
Note about 3:20ish for the really melodic section. I think thats the hardest part, trying to get the gear that can switch between those two sounds. I know im not really stoked on the ML's clean sound, so thats another thing to look into

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I84762UVKSg
Last edited by gratefulduck at Aug 20, 2015,
well that is going to be tough with a 1 guitar setup unless you get a way better amp. the section at 3:20 is a clean guitar with a touch of tremelo and some delay to give it that sound. my advice on a budget is to get yourself a multi-fx unit. set the amp and whatever fx you use for the rhythm tone. then switch those off and kick the mfx unit on for the clean and lead parts (set up different patches for each).
Let me first say there is nothing wrong with using a high-quality MFX unit. My one issue with them is that I have yet to own one on which I like ALL of the effects I'd use. With pedals, I can find exactly what I want.

For the flanger, I'd go with a Subdecay Starlight Flanger MkII. I have other devices that can flange, but this one is dedicated to the job, and it is good & flexible.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Subdecay+flanger

For switching, I'd look for something like the Carl Martin Octa Switch. It is not cheap, but it is well made, as well as being easy & intuitive to use:
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Carl+Martin+Octa+switch&sort=price%7Casc
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Let me first say there is nothing wrong with using a high-quality MFX unit. My one issue with them is that I have yet to own one on which I like ALL of the effects I'd use. With pedals, I can find exactly what I want.

For the flanger, I'd go with a Subdecay Starlight Flanger MkII. I have other devices that can flange, but this one is dedicated to the job, and it is good & flexible.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Subdecay+flanger

For switching, I'd look for something like the Carl Martin Octa Switch. It is not cheap, but it is well made, as well as being easy & intuitive to use:
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Carl+Martin+Octa+switch&sort=price%7Casc

oh yeah i agree and your picks are excellent but i'm not getting the feeling that the OP can afford that kind of setup. he mentioned a "wish" list but gave no budget. considering his curent setup i'm still thinking mfx will get him in the ball park. of course a better amp and not using a MZ would be the best route but a mfx will work with his current setup and dow what he needs.
Depending on budget, a pair of different MFX units & an A/B pedal might work.

The reason I say different is, again, due to my sole issue with MFX units. To be 100% clear, I have yet to find a single MFX unit that simulates all of its effects- fuzz, distortion, chorus, delay, etc.- ways I like. There is always at least one effect I want that sounds like crap.

But I could easily see 2 differing MFX units covering most bases. That way, you have one set to the heavy crushing tone, and the other for the eerie clean, and just A/B between them.

In addition, since each MFX unit probably lets you set up an array of presets of your liking, you could have several different distortion tone combos in the A pedal and the B pedal set up for a variety of cleans.

If you have 8 programmable buttons in each MFX device, that gives you a total of 64 different binary switching combos between A & B, with just a trio of pedals.

Total price...@$300-400, new.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 21, 2015,
AOR50 seems to be popular with doom guys.

Multifx in 4 cable mode, something like Boss GT-100 will get you the sounds.

Ahab sounded like they're possibly using Engl, more on the thrasher side. Look up My Dying Bride, that's pretty close to their sound and early Anathema. Mesa Dual Rectifier should also do it, I think.
You can spend a lot of time trying to be one of the cool kids with an old Laney or Sunn that needed $500 worth of work to be gig-worthy. You can splurge on a brand new Orange. You can even get on a waiting list and go into debt for a custom build from Hovercraft, Electric, or Dunwich. If you’re rich you can even get an old Matamp and hire a traveling amp tech to keep it from exploding.

Or you can just do what Liz Buckingham and Jus Oborn did on their recent tours—run a Muff into a Marshall and be done with it. Because the truth is, doom amps are mostly image. And the people who go to doom shows don’t care what you have onstage as long as it’s loud and fuzzy.
Quote by jpnyc
And the people who go to doom shows don’t care what you have onstage as long as it’s loud and fuzzy.

Well then:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well then:

I’m pretty sure that if the a band tossed a live grizzly into the crowd at St. Vitus Cvlt Nation would post footage the next day to great acclaim.
Bears are smart, so they would probably appreciate some good doom and headbang along peacefully.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 23, 2015,
Danny, you're like a library of awesome pedals. How do you know all that stuff. :O
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Get a bass amp, so that way you have a bass amp also. 2 birds, 1 stone.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by TheLiberation
Danny, you're like a library of awesome pedals. How do you know all that stuff. :O

Thanks!

I'm always looking to improve my sound- in a variety of directions- so I'm always shopping. And when someone recommends a pedal*, I bookmark the maker's website. I then try to give the recommended pedal a listen, as well as other pedals by the same maker.

I don't buy 'em all, but I buy lots...

* same goes for dissing a pedal or maker: you can learn just as much by paying attention to what people hate as to what they love.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 23, 2015,