Hi everyone! I really value the quality of advice here so I'm hoping that you guys and gals can help me out in selecting a new Les Paul (or Strat body shape). I've crossed Gibson of my list (already own one) and am aiming for a Paul Reed Smith:

Budget: $900 - $1600 (€800 - €1400)
Would prefer one without Tremelo
Can be an SE model but would prefer higher quality
Bird inlays
Color: doesn't matter (for now)

Music taste:
Rock and heavy (examples: Tool, QOTSA, Led Zepplin, Mastodon, Perfect Circle etc.)

Thanks in advance for the input!
Hooper drives the boat chief...
Last edited by jackmiddlemiss at Aug 21, 2015,
PRS CE would be a good way to go. a lot nicer than the SE (haven't tried an S2 though). they pop up used in your price range.

i however don't see how a prs CE22/24 is alternate for a LP. they are very different. if you want to scratch gibson off of the list, and want a LP, look for some of the MIJ les paul clones, burney, greko etc. (i haven't tried either). quite a few people on here have the MIJ les pauls and love them, i am happy with my gibsons.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I agree with you trashedlostfdup. Gibsons are the best LPs, but a bit pricey nowadays and the new models are craptacular - 2016 will probably be even worse. I've heard a lot of good things about PRS and I have tried a couple out (both LP and Strat bodies) and they feel and play really nicely.
I'd prefer not to go with a cheap knock-off and I'm somewhat hesitant when buying used guitars (had one really bad experience and got completely ripped off).
I have a PRS CE22 I bought in 04. it is an insanely good guitar. It is identical to the custom 22 (they also make a CE24) only it has a bolt-thru maple neck. But it has the correct body carves unlike the SE and S2 models. It also has the same hardware and pickups as the customs. Used here they run $900-$1300 used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Copper and Emerald finishes are really nice. Hard to get in Germany though.
I agree with above, if you want an LP, I wouldn't get a PRS.

Tokai, Edwards, Burny, Greco, Orville all make pretty good LP's over in Japan. I know some Tokai's are made in Korea and they aren't nearly as good though as the MIJ ones.
I'd get a used great condition PRS SE Tremonti Custom and then just have it setup perfectly and have overhead cash space left.

PRS 245/Tremonti/250s arent meant to be rip off Gibsons or anything though - they are modern feeling extremely comfortable and we'll made instruments but are different to LPs. I've had a Gibson LP in the past and they're cool but I found mine overly heavy and old fashioned... Just my opinion... Whereas when I tried a PRS it was lighter, great value for money and nicer looking, but they definitely are different instruments.
For your budget take your time and look for a real custom 24 or 22 they show up a for $1400-$1600 fairly often. Some of the old Mira's before the S2 line came out or McCarty's are normally a little cheaper then the customs but great guitars from there American factory as well.

I would avoid the se line I think you want a real prs for that price and a se might leave you feeling like you want to upgrade again in a months time.
Quote by jackmiddlemiss
The Copper and Emerald finishes are really nice. Hard to get in Germany though.

well they have been discontinued for over 10yrs so yes they can be hard to find
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
dont. for 1600 price cap max? i say dont buy a PRS. i personally would invest in a PRS at 2000+ dollars.

i say this as a carvin owner after having experience, there is almost no guitar made on todays market that can touch carvins build quality for the price point. BAR NONE.

many of their models are maxed out top of the line at 1600 (mine was about 1400-1500 with a case about 1500-1600 for the PRS clone, the California Carve Top model). and my carvin wood quality would be on par with a 3000-4000 dollar PRS.

where carvin may be lacking historically is the peripherals. some hardware, some wiring, pickups etc but with Keisel they have changed that. the new Keisel pickups are great, and also do harder higher gain tones REALLY well. a 1600 dollar PRS probably does not have pickups suited to playing tool, etc. although PRS are very flexible.

dont get me wrong, i love PRS. some of the best around.

my point is for 1600 max you will get a better guitar from Carvin HANDS DOWN.

with Keisel pickups it will be better suited for harder music, not a fact but a pretty accurate opinion if i do say so myself.

and it will give you custom options for YOU that you cant get from PRS (unless you pay them 10K to build you a custom model).
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)