So I'm a huge gear noob. I have a L6 DT50 and it's nothing special. I'm going to be touring soon and I've been looking at ENGL amps as they seem to be simple enough, the fireball has apparently great tight low/mid ends when playing (God forbid I mention the D word, a tone I happen to particularly like) djent tones. In general I'm looking to be as heavy as I can but never sacrifice clarity for anything. The ENGL's also have built in noise gates which I would like even if they aren't perfect, as I like to not have huge amounts of buzzing/humming pedals in front of my amp to get that kinda stuff.

Now here's the nooby question. My DT50 has 4 voicings, and 2 channels A/B. That's what I want so I can switch between clean/distorted

Does the Fireball 100w have seperate channels so I can switch? It only has one set of knobs so how would that work? I know that my crappy L6 Spider jam thing has it so where you change presets the knob positions don't matter but as soon as you touch the knob it will then jump to whatever place you have the knob at. Therefore allowing many diff "channels" I guess with only one set of knobs. Is this how the Fireball works?

If I won't be able to switch between clean/distorted then I'll just get a powerball or something.

I feel like this is a super dumb question as I'm sure that for 1.8k it has the ability to do that. But hey, you gotta learn sometime!

EDIT: ADDITIONAL QUESTION, does anyone know what the front panel/grate is made of? Is it plastic or metal?
Last edited by King Elijah at Aug 21, 2015,
1. the fireball 100 has two channels, with separate gain and master volume controls and shared EQ.
The two channels will use the same EQ settings simply.

2. it's plastic, no engl has a metal front panel.

I'd recommend a powerball 2, it does djent better imo (I could sound like djent with a vintage spec'd tele, it was awesome ) and it has two EQ for four channels.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
1. the fireball 100 has two channels, with separate gain and master volume controls and shared EQ.
The two channels will use the same EQ settings simply.

2. it's plastic, no engl has a metal front panel.

I'd recommend a powerball 2, it does djent better imo (I could sound like djent with a vintage spec'd tele, it was awesome ) and it has two EQ for four channels.

Fireball 100 is a great amp and spambot is right on all counts here. Id have to agree about getting the Powerball II instead if you can afford it. Its an awesome amp and has way more options. Ive read a lot of people say that the fireball series sound different/better than the powerballs (usually people say they sound darker w a better low mid thump). Its all malarchy in my opinion. Maybe they sound different with all knobs at 12oclock, but I went and tried a Fireball 100 for an hour, loved it, thought about selling my Powerball I, but just tweaked my depth punch, presence and gain a bit and got practically the same sound at home. But yea, either way, those amps are great and a lot of fun to use. Little tip: throw some lower gain preamp tubes like at7 or au7 in the right positions and it really gives a nice touch of clarity and cleans the gain up a bit. Use healthy amounts of midrange, and bring the gain down- the Fireball 100 gain past 12 was more gain than I really needed for metalcore and the like. Cheers!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Awesome, thank you so much guys. But with the shared EQ that means if I want a different EQ setting for cleans then i couldn't just jump to it right? Cause that's usually the case, my heavy settings would always obviously be different than my cleans. Then in that case I'll look into the powerball 2. Yeah I was reading a lot of people saying the fireball had a better low/mid end. And it has that mid booster. Personally I don't really do much of the crunch/blues/twang thing, so the fact that the fireball only has a few voicings was fine, but I mean the powerball 2 was the first one I was looking at to begin with.

Thanks again!
Last edited by King Elijah at Aug 21, 2015,
If your budget allows it, get a powerball 2 it's has separate eq for each channel.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yea thats the strong point of the Powerball ii is the eq options per channel; that being said, if you set the bass between 11-12oclock, the mids to 1130, and the treble to 2oclock on the fireball 100, you will have a really good clean and lead tone no problem. Still, id take the PB
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69