I have a old (early 90s or so) Yamaha 612MA. They have licensed Floyd Rose bridges on them, made in Japan by Yamaha and mine is shot. The micro tuners have mostly all stripped so I've removed them. I'm missing one of the locking nuts at the nut so they are all removed. I've had to remove one of the sting lock downs as the screw for that has stripped. It's like they've made these things out of aluminum foil.

I'm thinking about replacing the whole shebang with a proper Floyd Rose, if you can do it directly without routing, etc. The guitar isn't worth all that much so I don't want to sink a bunch of money into it but the instrument sounds good and plays pretty well so I would like to keep it, plus it has a bit of sentimental value as it was my first guitar.

Anyone ever replaced one of these on this model? Thanks in advance.
Based on pictures I've seen from a quick google search, I highly doubt you'll find a replacement bridge. Licensed Floyd-style bridges back then were often proprietary in dimensions, so replacing them if ever needed was impossible without extensive modifications. Your guitar looks to be of no exception.

I'd block the bridge and keep it that way forever. Trying to fix it is probably not worth the grief.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 21, 2015,
Thanks for the reply. Currently I've got 5 springs on it, no micro tuners and no nut locks. It stays in tune that way pretty well (the tuners are pretty decent). What does blocking entail? This is my only guitar with this setup so I'm not that familiar with FR bridges.
Quote by aidanc1 at #33561287
Thanks for the reply. Currently I've got 5 springs on it, no micro tuners and no nut locks. It stays in tune that way pretty well (the tuners are pretty decent). What does blocking entail? This is my only guitar with this setup so I'm not that familiar with FR bridges.

It entails stopping the bridge from moving in any direction, so you're essentially converting the Floyd to a fixed bridge.

You can do that in many different ways, but a popular way is to shove 2 pieces of wood, one in front and the other behind the block.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'm pretty sure the RGX series won't accept aftermarket bridges without additional routing, as I used to have a first generation RGX myself. Contacting Yamaha for at least verification of a part name/number might help, and they may even be able to supply a replacement. Otherwise, someone else might make replacements, and eBay would be worth checking.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure the older Yamaha floating trem systems were called the Rockin' Magic, RM Pro, or something similar depending on the model and generation.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB