Page 1 of 2
Alright, so I thought the movie Ex Machina blew my mind thoroughly, and enough for a week, but its getting to that point where in the future everything speeds up and you have to get used to having your mind spontaneously explode every nano- second.

Read this from maccatm in the Elon Musk Thread: http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

So soon we'll have super-AI'ers, pods that are basically as fast as teleportation, and probably other cool things, like hose adapters that make it so you can make millions of water balloons in no time at all:

As a late-mover to everything from texting to etc (because change weirds me out), this is odd to think about.

Also, I need to know if I should read Dune or Asimov's Foundation first, because I never read such things.

Discuss.
Last edited by Fat Lard at Aug 21, 2015,
Robots will kill us unless we're careful
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by Fat Lard at #33561343
Where we are atm:

Quite the ice glacier to climb

What triggers the mad growth

Sorry another double post I'm trying my best
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Is the glacier we're talking about Vatnajökull, the largest glacier of Iceland? What is there? Ancient alien ships with forbidden technology?
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by ElMaco
What triggers the mad growth

technology triggers technological growth. its exponential growth.

that is if we can fund it $$$
Quote by Godsmack_IV at #33561356

that is if we can fund it $$$

print more money

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Now I have seen quite many exponential functions in my years and I am quite certain that in Fat Lards graph is not one
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by ElMaco
Now I have seen quite many exponential functions in my years and I am quite certain that in Fat Lards graph is not one

I also don't think the proportions on the stickman are anatomically correct so it's very suspicious overall.
Quote by ElMaco

Thats because it was made by a human from article in OP. The past stuff was more linear

What future book to read: Dune, Foundation, or something else
I still don't get why he didn't draw exponential smooth curve if the growth is exponential. Sharp corners mean something special happens there, like finding alien tech from Vatnajökull
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by ElMaco at #33561375
I still don't get why he didn't draw exponential smooth curve if the growth is exponential. Sharp corners mean something special happens there, like finding alien tech from Vatnajökull

for the uninitiated it's probably easier to grasp what the article is trying to convey seeing that sharp spike in the graph

This graph further down makes more sense
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
But really, there's talk of the UK introducing lanes on the motorway that can charge your electric car as you drive on it

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/electric-motorways-uk-charge-your-car-as-you-drive-10460121.html

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

whats important to take away from all this is that the aliens will have freakishly long necks and short, stubby limbs. you got the reach advantage so go for the jugular.
Quote by CL/\SH at #33561385
for the uninitiated it's probably easier to grasp what the article is trying to convey seeing that sharp spike in the graph

This graph further down makes more sense

Thank you, much better. (I obviously didn't read the article )

Quote by Godsmack_IV at #33561396
whats important to take away from all this is that the aliens will have freakishly long necks and short, stubby limbs. you got the reach advantage so go for the jugular.

They can just nuke us from the orbit before we even know they're there though, that's some reach advantage
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Last edited by ElMaco at Aug 21, 2015,
Quote by ElMaco
They can just nuke us from the orbit before we even know they're there though, that's some reach advantage

Saves us from having to take their tech to annihilate ourselves with it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Thats because it was made by a human from article in OP. The past stuff was more linear

What future book to read: Dune, Foundation, or something else

Time enough for love

It makes a great case for just plowing everyone (siblings/parents included)
Why would we want computers to be as smart as us. This is disconcerting to me. I'd throw my computer out the window.

Also if we ever encounter aliens we should immediately attack and kill them.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm more afraid of computers specifically being self-aware, and what they would do with their self-awareness
Quote by ErikLensherr
Why would we want computers to be as smart as us. This is disconcerting to me. I'd throw my computer out the window.

I fully agree, if I had a computer as smart as you, I'd throw it away too...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
the robot takeover will be painless because we'll just turn ourselves into cyborgs of our own free will and the cpu will take over without our noticing like some high tech brain slug
They will betray us because they don't have feelings. Bugs are the only way to fight them (computer bugs, not the ones smashing into your eye while cycling). Cutting off their energy supply would work, but invading their central power plant would be probably impossible, as it would be far too secure. So I don't know.
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by Arby911
I fully agree, if I had a computer as smart as you, I'd throw it away too...

savage
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'd totally be an android/cyborg, would be rad
i have no mouth and i must scream
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I'm content with the current state of technology, in general. I'm all for technology that improves quality of life, but I don't think anyone has a need for rain sensors for window wipers when the stalk is so easily accessible already.
Free Ali
Optimistic thread is too optimistic
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I'm all for optimistic futures, tbh

I've watched every episode of Star Trek ever
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Trowzaa
But really, there's talk of the UK introducing lanes on the motorway that can charge your electric car as you drive on it

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/electric-motorways-uk-charge-your-car-as-you-drive-10460121.html

This is what we need.

Question:

Is the production of electric car batteries just as harmful for the environment as internal combustion engines?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Last edited by Guitar0player at Aug 22, 2015,
Page 1 of 2