a band im about to try out for is a deathcore band that plays in "A standard"...
what would the open string names be? like, would the low E be an A? ive never tuned ANY bass or guitar this low

also, could i achieve this easily on a 4 string bass? or if i got a 5 string, would it be easier?
and what songs are in this tuning? thanks
A Standard doesn't sound right, since most deathcore bands tend to play drop tunings like Drop A. Either way though, they generally use a 5 string for anything that low but it's of course doable on a 4 string with extra heavy strings. The notes should be ADGC(F) for A Standard or AEAD(G) for Drop A, with the note in parentheses being the additional highest string on a 5.

I don't know much for A Standard other than Korn and Thergothon, but a ton of deathcore is played in Drop A. If you are playing in a band though, they are probably doing originals anyway and so you don't need to know songs in that tuning. Also keep in mind that you can still play just about any song that you could normally play regardless of tuning.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 22, 2015,
A standard isn't exactly unusual. they probably just play D standard on a 7 string

i recommend a 5-string with a 35" scale and an amp and cabinet that can reproduce that low A without it getting muddy

having a smaller scale (the standard being 34") and using a 4 string will cause you to have to compensate with rather thick strings and in general will lead to a muddier tone, which is the opposite of what you want with those lower tunings

but you kinda gotta do what you gotta do

as kristen said, ADGCF or ADGC will be your best bet

i can't think of any particular bands that play in that tuning, but it's the same as any other band...odds are, you're just gonna be picking that low A the vast majority of the time. work on playing any kind of deathcore, regardless of tuning. the notes are pretty much negligible in place of timing, a thick tone, and crabcore headbanging
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
You're unlikely to find many cabinets that will reproduce the fundamental of an A that low (27.5Hz). If you get a clean octave harmonic, you'll be doing well. I have a 5, usually tuned to a B on that string, and I don't even bother (my High Pass Filter - HPF - is set to drop off rapidly below 35hz) -- there's no point in wasting power on notes that are, for all practical purposes, nearly subsonic. Obviously you hear something when I hit the open B (and you will hear something with an open A), but it will be a set of harmonics that "indicate* the fundamental to your ear rather than actually producing it.

My suggestion is (and has been) for bassists working with downtuned bands to avoid tuning your bass to match the guitarists, and instead tune to something that will still provide solid bottom. Most 5-strings are already tuned to A at 55hz on the middle string (your four has it right next to the low E). Since it's a lot easier to find a cabinet that *does* reproduce that fundamental well and with clarity, it may make a lot more sense to use that instead.

Worth noting that while your guitarists are *tuning* to that same note for the open string at the bottom of their range, guitar amps largely fall off rapidly below about 110Hz, and most will never reproduce a 55 Hz fundamental, and certainly without any power. They'll be reproducing harmonics at the 110Hz level (the octave harmonic of a 55Hz fundamental). You, on the other hand, will actually be reproducing fundamentals an octave below them and, with both the four and the five-string, able to go even lower.

The bass guitar in this case is probably largely immaterial. The cabinet is your primary concern. I'm using cabinets (fEARful 15/6/1 and fEARless F115s) that are fully capable (15" Eminence Kappalite 3015 LF driver, Faital or 18Sound mids driver, 1" tweeter) of visiting 35Hz with power and clarity, and of handling the power (up to 900W per cabinet) required to do that without farting out. By comparison, most 4x10s will actually reproduce down to around 60Hz well and are "usable" down to perhaps 40Hz (it gets ugly, though). This may not seem to match up with manufacturer specs, but as any pro bassist can tell you, "Marketing guys lie."

Once you've found a cabinet that meets the specs you need for what you're playing, then you need sufficient power to push the cabinet, and then you need whatever tone controls tickle your fancy from there.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 22, 2015,