Page 1 of 3
Why do some people prefer strat, some prefer telecastor and some people even change the pick ups but the guitars all sound the same to me ????
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

Probably because you just aren't good enough to know better.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Have you had a hearing test?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Have you tried bypassing the distortion-overdrive-octave-wahwah combo pedal?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
"Because we're better than you - and we know it."

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
It's because they're all electric
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
snarky response
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
They're all just wood and strings innit
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Hmm, I 've heard talk of people listening with their eyes instead of their ears, this could be a case of that maybe?
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
Quote by theogonia777

While this is harsh, it's also the truth.

My ears still aren't good enough to hear some of the subtle differences others hear.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by theogonia777

I think it may be cause the OP. listens to just one kind of music .
Quote by Stuck_nomore
Why do some people prefer strat, some prefer telecastor and some people even change the pick ups but the guitars all sound the same to me ????

Get a hearing test, if you're not almost deaf, train your ears until you can hear the difference.

So you're not one of those daft teenagers at a party that say my tone sounds good on the hosts 90 dollar wood scrap, and I have to take time out of my night to explain to you that it's shit, and why it's shit.
Last edited by stratkat at Aug 22, 2015,
Yeah, it's like...McDonalds and Five Guys are literally the same thing. I taste no difference.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah, it's like...McDonalds and Five Guys are literally the same thing. I taste no difference.

Do you regularly taste 5 guys?

The same guys each time, or just random strangers?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by welvendagreat
To sell gullible guitarists pointless things and watch them squibble over magnets lol

That's kind of true. Many guitarists are engulfed in the idea of needing something completely unnecessary costing hundreds of dollars while they stop hearing the difference they made after 15 minutes of playing.
To be fair, the biggest factor in tone is the amp.

You play any guitar through a Line 6 Spider II and it'll sound like ass. Also, most people prefer a certain tone, and will set an amp up to sound like that, compensating for the instruments character and pretty much negating the impact.
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
Quote by TheKraken
To be fair, the biggest factor in tone is the amp.

You play any guitar through a Line 6 Spider II and it'll sound like ass. Also, most people prefer a certain tone, and will set an amp up to sound like that, compensating for the instruments character and pretty much negating the impact.

Amp is the biggest factor, but people who say guitar doesn't make much difference are utterly ridiculous. Just the difference between a strat and a tele is phenomenal, let alone when you start using mahogany, humbuckers etc. You can set up an amp to be good for the same sort of sound with a bunch of different guitars, but negate the impact is precisely what you can't do. Also a tele into a line 6 spider sounds pretty different (and imo WAY better) than any humbucker guitar. Might still sound broadly shit but tone isn't just on a scale of good to bad...
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Aug 22, 2015,
TBH, I can't tell the difference between brands of fog machine.

#philistine
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal

#philistine

I have played i cum blood on my fog machine
Quote by slapsymcdougal

#philistine

Well, some go like... fsssh ssshhh sshh ssshhh

And others are like... fsssh fsssh fsssh fsssh

Some are more like... ssshhff ssshhff ssshhff

And some are just... fsssssssssssshhhhhhhh
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Amp is the biggest factor, but people who say guitar doesn't make much difference are utterly ridiculous. Just the difference between a strat and a tele is phenomenal, let alone when you start using mahogany, humbuckers etc. You can set up an amp to be good for the same sort of sound with a bunch of different guitars, but negate the impact is precisely what you can't do. Also a tele into a line 6 spider sounds pretty different (and imo WAY better) than any humbucker guitar. Might still sound broadly shit but tone isn't just on a scale of good to bad...

The difference is huge between most guitars, and you notice this most when using the same amp set up in the same way and just swapping the guitars out. But when you have a Les Paul with everything set at 5, then you plug in a strat and start cutting out the treble and boosting the bass you begin to negate the character of the strat, trying to imitate the Les Paul. It by no means removes the difference, but if you're using a modelling amp, with digital effects, you'll find it harder to tell.

Of course, plug it into a nice valve amp and the guitars character becomes harder to hide
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
Quote by theogonia777
Well, some go like... fsssh ssshhh sshh ssshhh

And others are like... fsssh fsssh fsssh fsssh

Some are more like... ssshhff ssshhff ssshhff

And some are just... fsssssssssssshhhhhhhh

To me, that's all a load shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Quote by Diemon Dave
Could be the amp you hear them through. A shitty Line 6 is going to make them sound a lot more similar than a wide open Fender deluxe reverb will.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Do you regularly taste 5 guys?

The same guys each time, or just random strangers?

[x] takes the obvious joke
Check out my band Disturbed
banjos have rims to jake
What you need is a new amp. But really you just got to have a good ear for that stuff, If you say a fender and a schecter sound the same you're full of shit.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Guys, you heard Mr. Sacamano. No fun until racism is over.
When you first start out your ear just won't be very good. I remember when I got my first tiny little modeler amp with several different shitty distortions and I thought it was the most awesome thing ever, but then as my ear got better and I heard other amps I realized how crappy it was. Differences in guitars and pickups are harder to hear, especially with more effects and distortion and such because the amp and effects have the biggest impact on the sound, but as your ears get better you'll notice the differences and they do matter.
There's definitely a difference in tone, but then again, that's what the dwellers of GG&A would say about using different brands power adapters for pedals, so what's my opinion really worth?
Free Ali
Page 1 of 3