Getting a strange regular clicking sound from my all-tube 18W like a bad spot on a cassette looping over and over again..I think I have isolated the problem to the effects loop (had a clean boost in the effects loop and when I switched it on, the click was amplified manifold; when I do a hard bypass of the effects loop the click doesn't seem audible)...planning to take it apart and try swapping the tube (getting to the 12AX7 in the effects loop is a tedious job, need to remove the entire chassis)...but anything obvious I should be looking out for, or am I probably on the right track? I've never heard this extremely regular click before when a tube went bad...
Could be the tube. Get some electrical contact cleaner and clean the socket while you're at it.

Could also be any of the preamp tubes as any noise in the preamp would be amplified by the boost.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Sounds to me like the boost that you are using is wrong for the job. You need something that switches more quietly - like something with a buffered switch.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Guys thanks for the inputs

Actually I have used this clean boost and amp combo (Visualsound TrueTone clean boost and a custom amp) extensively in the past with no hassles...I noticed the clicking sound very recently...should clarify it's not the click you get when switching on/off its a regular tick tock type sound ...in any case I'll try swapping the preamp tubes first as suggested and see if that eliminates the problem

Thanks
^ yeah the VS/truetone is buffered so it shouldn't be the bypass pop that's causing it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok actually I opened up the chassis and it was a simple matter of a badly seated 12AX7 in the effects loop...pushed it back in properly and it seems to be holding up for now, hopefully in time for our next gig on Thursday at the local Hard Rock Cafe.....thanks guys for your support as always
Give it a clean. Spray some contact cleaner onto the tube pins and work it in and out of the socket 3 or 4 times. ie. use the tube as the applicator.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification