So here's the deal- I've found an electric I really like, and it's in my price range. I could buy it right now and have money left over. But my mom says she doesn't see why I need it and highly discourages me from getting it. For those who are curious I have 3 instruments, two acoustics and an electric bass. My uncle gave me another bass that is so incredibly unreliable I don't even count it in my collection (it's a 5 string Rouge so yeah).

I'd like to hear some opinions on what I should do or other tips like that...

Thanks!
If you like it, buy it.

On a non-serious note, set fire to every handbag or pair of shoes she owns but one, because you don't see why she needs them.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
She also has says that buying it would be a waste of money but apparently her buying cigarettes and alcohol is NOT a waste of money
Totally agree. Booze and cigs are always top priority. Your mum knows her Sh*t. lol.

Buy the guitar, she probably wont even notice.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by Tony Done
Don't forget that you will also need an amp of some kind. How is that going to stretch your budget and your relations with your mum?

What two acoustics have you got, and what style of music interests you?

I will probably use my bass amp for a time or borrow a 15 watt Marshall from a friend who has one. As for the acoustics a Taylor GS mini and a cheap Fender. Both were gifts from my grandad and have sentimental value. I like classic rock and old school metal mainly
If you like it, can afford it, and you know you'll really be playing it, it's definitely worth buying.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
^ yeah

though if you have to live with your mum it's a judgement call. if it makes things awkward it might not be the best plan. it sucks, but
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dthmtl3
You still didn't get the PRS? Or the Carvin?

No I haven't... I've actually found a Hoyer flying v that I like
It isn't hard at all to justify if you don't even have an electric. If you already had a few it might be different. But parents are weird, mine are completely fine with me having 8 guitars, but it took months for them to let me get a starter violin. All you can really do is explain how different an electric is, or work out a deal if your parents work like that, like taking up extra chores.
Quote by dragonzrmetal
It isn't hard at all to justify if you don't even have an electric. If you already had a few it might be different. But parents are weird, mine are completely fine with me having 8 guitars, but it took months for them to let me get a starter violin. All you can really do is explain how different an electric is, or work out a deal if your parents work like that, like taking up extra chores.

I see exactly what you're saying... my mom confuses me. She says she's fine with me getting a guitar as long as its my own money, but when I talk about buying one she gives me all these BS reasons why I can't. Its kinda funny because my grandad (on my mom's side) has at least 5 classical guitars that I can think of. He has this ANCIENT old Gibson classical that is in worse shape than Willie Nelsons guitar but we both love it.
My parents are totally fine with me having 10 guitars and all this gear. Wait... I'm married and have two kids. Ok, so that's why they're fine with it.

Seriously... Try to justify the purchase to your mom. In the end, it may be smarter for you to save your money and have her, or your grandpa buy it for you.
Quote by Jamesplaysbass
I see exactly what you're saying... my mom confuses me. She says she's fine with me getting a guitar as long as its my own money, but when I talk about buying one she gives me all these BS reasons why I can't. Its kinda funny because my grandad (on my mom's side) has at least 5 classical guitars that I can think of. He has this ANCIENT old Gibson classical that is in worse shape than Willie Nelsons guitar but we both love it.

well when you get older and see the "parent handbook" you'll understand a little better.

the you can buy it with your money line is usually given when they assume there is no way you'll have the will power to actually save up the money. as for BS reasons those usually stem from the assumption that this is just a "phase" you're going through and that the item in ? will end up in the closet in 6 months. the best approach is to do so on an adult level. make her realize that this isn't a phase and that you are committed to playing guitar in it's various forms. also perhaps having grampa put in a good word for you would help. whatevfer you do make sure that it is done on a very mature level. this advice comes from an old fart with perhaps a bit of experience on both sides of the issue
it doesn't end with parents... it starts again once you find yourself a wife.

(i am sitting at least 23 electrics, five classicals, and a bass)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it doesn't end with parents... it starts again once you find yourself a wife.

(i am sitting at least 23 electrics, five classicals, and a bass)

...and he's currently nowhere near his wife at the moment, I'd bet!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

. you also have a way better chance of talking your parents into something than the mrs. ( and no the mrs is isn't anwhere close to here but shhh......i'll deny everything if caught)
Quote by dannyalcatraz

i knew i would draw some laughs. most of my stuff is at my studio, so she doesn't see it all lol. she knows though and doesn't have a problem with it, i am lucky. i can say i am a lucky man.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by monwobobbo
. you also have a way better chance of talking your parents into something than the mrs. ( and no the mrs is isn't anwhere close to here but shhh......i'll deny everything if caught)

haha i have "run to the hills" going through my head... lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by KG6_Steven
My parents are totally fine with me having 10 guitars and all this gear. Wait... I'm married and have two kids. Ok, so that's why they're fine with it.

Seriously... Try to justify the purchase to your mom. In the end, it may be smarter for you to save your money and have her, or your grandpa buy it for you.

She's already told me that she's not buying any gear for me so that's why I'm trying to finance it myself.
Quote by monwobobbo
well when you get older and see the "parent handbook" you'll understand a little better.

the you can buy it with your money line is usually given when they assume there is no way you'll have the will power to actually save up the money. as for BS reasons those usually stem from the assumption that this is just a "phase" you're going through and that the item in ? will end up in the closet in 6 months. the best approach is to do so on an adult level. make her realize that this isn't a phase and that you are committed to playing guitar in it's various forms. also perhaps having grampa put in a good word for you would help. whatevfer you do make sure that it is done on a very mature level. this advice comes from an old fart with perhaps a bit of experience on both sides of the issue

I've been playing for about 4 years so she ought to know it's not a phase by now
if you have the money go for it. i think its perfectly reasonable being your only electric guitar, mom will get over it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!