Reverb or delay in the loop. Maybe some chorus out front. An EQ pedal you switch on for you cleans in the loop helps too. Or just say to hell with cleans and do what I did and use the rhythm channel for crunch.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
12au7 in v1 will help a lot. Still more than enough gain on tap.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Try a 5751 in the Phase Invertor and a 12dw7 in V2. 12dw7 will give you a 12au7 lower gain for Rhythm channel but a 12ax7 for the Lead channel. A 5751 in V1 can also help and give the gain knob on the lead channel more usable range.

Light chorus and reverb help also along with neck pickup and a softer attack.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Interesting call on the 12DW7. Is this something that you've actually tried?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Buy one of those Boss pedals that models a Fender tone and rig it up in the FX loop to bypass the 5150 preamp.
^ I have done something similar to using a fender pedal into the preamp. I was running a Jet City and POD HD500x with 4 cable method. The Jet City had a nice fat distortion sound but no clean channel, so simple enough, I created a clean patch and had it set up to be an entire channel on its own. Worked pretty well.
I made this video a while ago, and it's not great. But it should be helpful. I demo'd 3 guitars through my 6505 on clean: DiMarzio D Activators, Peavey Predator single coils, and an EMG 60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CczyAjH0WNo

It's long and not well thought out, but the actual playing is timestamped in the description.

This is with just normal 12AX7s throughout, no lower gain preamp tubes anywhere. With lower gain preamp tubes, you will get even notably cleaner cleans.

But as far as stock goes, I have no idea what the problem is with people not able to get cleans out of the amp. Play with your gear and learn how to EQ it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard
Interesting call on the 12DW7. Is this something that you've actually tried?

Yes. It works well. No noticeable difference on the Lead channel and the cleans are much nicer.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I used to run a Jan Phillips 5751 in the V1 slot of the preamp which warmed and cleaned it up a little, along with using either coil split buckers or single coils for cleans. I used to have mp3's on my profile, but it appears as though they were removed...

me and my drummer did a jam on one of our songs years ago and you can hear the cleans in the intro. I think I have a detune effect on the clean channel but its definitely with a 5751 in the V1 slot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6j_fgZmOoo

...There's also a fly by night "cover" on that youtube channel, cleans with 5751 in V1 and a mxr phase 90 around 2:07.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Aug 25, 2015,
Quote by metalmingee
Yes. It works well. No noticeable difference on the Lead channel and the cleans are much nicer.
Sounds like a great "outside the box" idea to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jpnyc
Buy one of those Boss pedals that models a Fender tone and rig it up in the FX loop to bypass the 5150 preamp.

This is actually a pretty solid 'outside the box' idea too