I'm looking to buy a new electric guitar, I currently have a Fender Squire that is quite old, I bought it second hand. I'm looking between $400-$600 ish. The only preferences I have is a new guitar that's not a Fender Squire or Stratocaster, solid body and 24 frets but I can settle for 22 frets, 24 would just give more options. I don't really have a lot of experience with guitars and don't know what pickups I want or need and there's not a guitarist's tone I can think that I want to get close to, I'm kind of an all round player and when writing songs I'm not phased what it sounds like, tone wise at least. I live in Australia and would preferably like to have decided on a guitar and have it here before 3rd September (have a gig) but if not it doesn't really matter much I can make do.

Thanks, any suggestions welcome.
I might look at ESP's LTD Guitars. Soulid pickups and many different looks.

http://www.espguitars.com/products?categories=ltd

Or Ibanez Guitars, good pickups again and many different styles.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eg_top15.php?year=2015&cat_id=1

Both od these companies sell guitars in your price range. Good luck finding what your looking for
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
It's somewhat tricky to make recommendations without a few more specifics - a lot of different guitars would fit the description you've given above but they'd be wildly different from each other.

The problem I suspect is that you're in Oz and guitars tend to be *very* expensive down there compared with the rest of the world. I've just had a look on a couple of Aussie guitar stores and even up to 600AUD you're still very much in the 'beginner' guitar sort of range. I'm not saying you can't get a good guitar for that sort of price, only I don't see much benefit in getting a low-end model for your second guitar. It *probably* won't be a huge improvement on what you've got now.

Have you had a look around the local used market? You might be able to get something a bit more mid-range that way.

Also, I know a lot of folks here will want to know - what amp/pedals/etc are you using?
Well I'm currently doing a school music program in which I have to play different styles of songs, I have a blues song, a funk song and a rock song. I'm also wanting it just for general playing which would be more focused around over-driven stuff, though I'm not looking to shred or use a whammy bar or tremolo bar or whatever the actual name is. That's about as specific as I can get sorry.

The guitar I have at the moment has a slightly bent neck, the pick up wiring is faulty so I have to jingle it around to get it to work sometimes and the action is pretty shot, and the way I see it is pretty much any guitar north of $400 will sound so much better to me and no matter what guitar I would get the next one after this will be a top-end model when I have the money.

I'm in a pretty remote area so there isn't really many options and I wouldn't know where to look for the used guitar market, like we only have 1 music shop in my whole town, the owner usually sells guitars as cheap as possible as well.

Well because I'm at school I have access to several different amps, I don't know the specifics but we have a Vox, a couple of Fender amps and some others, so I have a wide range, my personal amp is a Line 6, Spider IV 15. I have a TS9 Tube Screamer Over-drive pedal and a Cry Baby Classic Wah pedal. The etc part, I'm not sure what you mean.

Hope that helps
Ibanez. I don't know the AUS market well but there are good Ibanez for midrange prices new, or you can get a nicer guitar used. I recommend an Ibanez with a floating tremelo, which would be in their RG series line. My recommendation is based on: Ibanez RG guitars are very versatile. The HSH pickups will give you huge range in sound for multiple styles. They have 24 frets. Build quality is generally good for the price, though obviously higher end models are built better. The necks are very slim and playable. The tremelo is super fun and will be good for certain solos, especially in the rock genre. Ibanez are readily available anywhere. The superstrat body is well suited to gigging or playing sitting down. As Ibanez are so common, maintenance and upgrading is easy. There are tons of tutorials on youtube regarding Ibanez guitars. All that said, LTD also makes good guitars, as does Schecter and others. Just with the points you mentioned, an Ivanez RG sounds perfect.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Just out of curiosity, what's your objection to Strats? Imo a Strat'd be a good choice if you've got blues, funk and rock in there.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by CurlyFries11
Well I'm currently doing a school music program in which I have to play different styles of songs, I have a blues song, a funk song and a rock song. I'm also wanting it just for general playing which would be more focused around over-driven stuff, though I'm not looking to shred or use a whammy bar or tremolo bar or whatever the actual name is. That's about as specific as I can get sorry.

The guitar I have at the moment has a slightly bent neck, the pick up wiring is faulty so I have to jingle it around to get it to work sometimes and the action is pretty shot, and the way I see it is pretty much any guitar north of $400 will sound so much better to me and no matter what guitar I would get the next one after this will be a top-end model when I have the money.

I'm in a pretty remote area so there isn't really many options and I wouldn't know where to look for the used guitar market, like we only have 1 music shop in my whole town, the owner usually sells guitars as cheap as possible as well.

Well because I'm at school I have access to several different amps, I don't know the specifics but we have a Vox, a couple of Fender amps and some others, so I have a wide range, my personal amp is a Line 6, Spider IV 15. I have a TS9 Tube Screamer Over-drive pedal and a Cry Baby Classic Wah pedal. The etc part, I'm not sure what you mean.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that, it is indeed more helpful. I can understand the desire to upgrade if your current guitar is in that sort of state! The wiring is something that can be fixed with a soldering iron, a multimeter and a bit of patience, but a bent neck is a more serious problem. Since you're mainly playing through a range of school amps that ought to head off the people who'll suggest "What you need is a new amp".

I'll echo the comment - why no strats? In many ways, something Strat-derived will probably be the best option for versatility, even if it won't meet your desire for 24 frets.

For pickups I'd recommend a combination of HSS or HSH pickups for versatility, since that will allow you the widest range of tones.

Honestly the first thing that comes to mind as a versatile guitar within your sort of budget is one that's commonly recommended around here - the Yamaha Pacifica 112v - which seems to sell down under for about 500AUD. It is very much strat-derived though, so I'm not sure how you think about that. Generally they're well regarded for being a lot of guitar for the money, generally nicely playable and well constructed, and a versatile HSS pickup configuration. There's also the Pacifica 212 if you fancy a maple top, but that's a bit more expensive.

If your current Squier has put you off the brand and the strat style in general, they've got some pretty decent models these days. The 'Classic Vibe' series strats and teles are around the top end of your budget, and they've got a great reputation around the net. I've not tried any, but I've heard a fair number of people say that they're a similar quality to Fender's Mexican standard models, but quite a bit cheaper. They're worth considering, even if they are stuck with the irritating 21 frets.

In the more Gibson-style mould, I think the Epiphone G-400 SG is in your price range. That one has a decent reputation, though with any Epi you'll be getting dual-humbuckers and missing out on single coil tones. I wouldn't consider any of their Les Pauls cheaper than the Standard, which runs a bit over your budget.

Some of the more 'metal' brands have models in that price point, but generally you'd want to avoid anything in that price range that has a double-locking Floyd Rose style tremolo, not least because you don't particularly want one but also because the cheap Floyds generally aren't very reliable. So for brands like Ibanez, LTD, Jackson I'd only consider the hardtail models, like the Ibby RG421, S521, Jackson JS32T models and so on. They're all dual humbucker which isn't so versatile, but they do have 24 frets. Whether you like these might depend on whether you like wide, flat 'shredder' type fretboards and thin neck profiles.
For the versatility I would recommend a PRS SE 24. The coil tapping adds quite a bit of versatility.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Quote by eoj02
For the versatility I would recommend a PRS SE 24. The coil tapping adds quite a bit of versatility.

Always a good choice - but in AUS they run quite a way over TS's budget.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
Thanks for that, it is indeed more helpful. I can understand the desire to upgrade if your current guitar is in that sort of state! The wiring is something that can be fixed with a soldering iron, a multimeter and a bit of patience, but a bent neck is a more serious problem. Since you're mainly playing through a range of school amps that ought to head off the people who'll suggest "What you need is a new amp".

I'll echo the comment - why no strats? In many ways, something Strat-derived will probably be the best option for versatility, even if it won't meet your desire for 24 frets.

For pickups I'd recommend a combination of HSS or HSH pickups for versatility, since that will allow you the widest range of tones.

Honestly the first thing that comes to mind as a versatile guitar within your sort of budget is one that's commonly recommended around here - the Yamaha Pacifica 112v - which seems to sell down under for about 500AUD. It is very much strat-derived though, so I'm not sure how you think about that. Generally they're well regarded for being a lot of guitar for the money, generally nicely playable and well constructed, and a versatile HSS pickup configuration. There's also the Pacifica 212 if you fancy a maple top, but that's a bit more expensive.

If your current Squier has put you off the brand and the strat style in general, they've got some pretty decent models these days. The 'Classic Vibe' series strats and teles are around the top end of your budget, and they've got a great reputation around the net. I've not tried any, but I've heard a fair number of people say that they're a similar quality to Fender's Mexican standard models, but quite a bit cheaper. They're worth considering, even if they are stuck with the irritating 21 frets.

In the more Gibson-style mould, I think the Epiphone G-400 SG is in your price range. That one has a decent reputation, though with any Epi you'll be getting dual-humbuckers and missing out on single coil tones. I wouldn't consider any of their Les Pauls cheaper than the Standard, which runs a bit over your budget.

Some of the more 'metal' brands have models in that price point, but generally you'd want to avoid anything in that price range that has a double-locking Floyd Rose style tremolo, not least because you don't particularly want one but also because the cheap Floyds generally aren't very reliable. So for brands like Ibanez, LTD, Jackson I'd only consider the hardtail models, like the Ibby RG421, S521, Jackson JS32T models and so on. They're all dual humbucker which isn't so versatile, but they do have 24 frets. Whether you like these might depend on whether you like wide, flat 'shredder' type fretboards and thin neck profiles.

I say no Strats because I know at least a couple of people that have a decent strat and so my thought process is to widen the options and I don't want to be stuck with having the choice of this really good strat or my old crappy squire, which I would think if I had the strat I just wouldn't use my squire whereas if I was to get a different guitar I may still use it as I've written an original on it and know that's how I like it to sound, basically just trying to use what I have to the fullest I can. Though I will certainly take into account a good Strat.

I'm very new to the technical side of guitars and I'm not sure how it works, would one choose a specific guitar because it has certain pickups or can pickups be swapped out easily?
Quote by eoj02

PRS's are very costly in Aus, I've checked
I just looked at some of the guitars I'd normally recommend in under $600 and how they're priced in Australia.

Did find these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GODIN-REDLINE-GUITAR-HB-STRING-THRU-DESIGN-NICE-GODIN-BAG-MARBLE-GRAY-FINISH-/291382432157?hash=item43d7bf119d

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BURNY-LSD-55N-EGA-Electric-guitar-FERNANDES-/111749325894?hash=item1a04c76446

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BURNY-LSD-70SDZ-BLK-BY-FERNANDES-Electric-Guitar-LP-type-Black-/121726853136?hash=item1c577c6010

But it might help us non-ozzies if you told us what brands & models are in your price range down there, and we can help you sort the good from the bad.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 23, 2015,
In light of the fact that OP doesn't seem to want Fenders/Squier I am surprised nobody has mentioned Epiphone. I've heard nothing but praise for the mid-level Epiphone Les Pauls. A friend of mine picked a new Epi Les Paul Custom for $399 and loves it. There are a lot of guys doing videos on youtube comparing them, somewhat favorably, to Gibson Les Pauls.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I just looked at some of the guitars I'd normally recommend in under $600 and how they're priced in Australia.

Did find these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GODIN-REDLINE-GUITAR-HB-STRING-THRU-DESIGN-NICE-GODIN-BAG-MARBLE-GRAY-FINISH-/291382432157?hash=item43d7bf119d

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BURNY-LSD-55N-EGA-Electric-guitar-FERNANDES-/111749325894?hash=item1a04c76446

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BURNY-LSD-70SDZ-BLK-BY-FERNANDES-Electric-Guitar-LP-type-Black-/121726853136?hash=item1c577c6010

But it might help us non-ozzies if you told us what brands & models are in your price range down there, and we can help you sort the good from the bad.

Thanks for the ebay links

The thing is I don't know what brands and models go for what down here. From what I can tell most brands would have something that would be in my price range, the pricing scale, at least for my range, seems to be around $100-$200 more than the American pricing.
Re: those links

Godin's entire setup is still in Canada, AFAIK, and QC is job #1. So, if nothing else, that Godin should be well made.

The Burnys are made by the same parent company as Fernandes, another company whose stuff I like. Were I looking, Burny would be on my radar.

As for the rest- all I'm looking for is an insight as to what is available to you in your price range. Once I- and others- see what is affordable where you are, we can tell you what of the affordable axes are actually worth considering for purchase.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 23, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Re: those links

Godin's entire setup is still in Canada, AFAIK, and QC is job #1. So, if nothing else, that Godin should be well made.

The Burnys are made by the same parent company as Fernandes, another company whose stuff I like. Were I looking, Burny would be on my radar.

As for the rest- all I'm looking for is an insight as to what is available to you in your price range. Once I- and others- see what is affordable where you are, we can tell you what of the affordable axes are actually worth considering for purchase.

Well that's the thing there's only one place that isn't an hour drive away from me and the guy who owns it says he can get pretty much any guitar in if requested but he doesn't have a lot in store because it's a fairly new shop and still setting up. So I can't really specify, though I've started a list of all guitars suggested so far and will check them out and pricing. I guess what could shorten the range is anything under $1000 that suits my previously stated preferences and such and is still a decent guitar.

I'm really sorry I can't specify anymore but that is all I can say.
If that's the way things are, that's the way things are- don't apologize for things out of your control.

Perhaps an Epiphone dot or es 339 with coil tap would suit the op's musical tastes. Both are very versatile and may fit into the specified price range. Or perhaps an ibanez art core semi hollow body?