I've recently been trying to work on my tapping speed to play the tapping lick from One. I've made some decent progress but I seem to have hit something of a wall in terms of actual speed. I can play it fast, but not quite as fast as on the record.

I heard that pick tapping is way faster than using the fingers of the right hand. I've also heard that Kirk uses his pick in One so I assume that this is how he achieved that crazy speed. But I can't seem to get it sounding like actual tapping, the first note just won't ring out.

All of the videos I watched sucked so I'm asking you guys. Do any of you have experience with this? Pictures or in-depth explanations would be much appreciated. Also, I almost exclusively use Jazz III picks if that matters at all.
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Aug 23, 2015,
using a pick instead of finger won't yield the same sound don't think you cn make it sound like a fingertap. keep in mind that kirk may have used a delay in tht section of the song to get repeats of the taps making it sound faster.
Pick tapping isn't necessarily faster but it will give a different sound. Joe Satriani uses this very frequently, in songs like Surfing, Crystal Planet and Satch Boogie.

As you are using the sharp edge of a pick rather than a soft finger it will sound slightly more percussive although the difference is only slight.

For the part in One he is tapping one note and pulling off two on his left hand. Because it is 3 notes not 2 you can't just tap really really fast and expect the notes to sound right, you need to synchronise both hands otherwise, like you say, it won't sound like actual tapping.

I actually wasn't aware that Kirk used a pick when tapping on One.
Last edited by Random3 at Aug 23, 2015,
Quote by Random3
Pick tapping isn't necessarily faster but it will give a different sound. Joe Satriani uses this very frequently, in songs like Surfing, Crystal Planet and Satch Boogie.

As you are using the sharp edge of a pick rather than a soft finger it will sound slightly more percussive although the difference is only slight.

For the part in One he is tapping one note and pulling off two on his left hand. Because it is 3 notes not 2 you can't just tap really really fast and expect the notes to sound right, you need to synchronise both hands otherwise, like you say, it won't sound like actual tapping.

pretty sure he didn't. cheese has mistaken the pull offs for pick.
Quote by Random3

I thought tapping always involved hammering with the right hand then pulling off and hammering or pulling of with your left hand? And can you show an example of what you meant by pulling off 2 notes? Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought it was played like this: t19p15p12 Never actually listened to any Sarriani might give Surfing With The Alien a listen though.

Quote by monwobobbo
pretty sure he didn't. cheese has mistaken the pull offs for pick.

I meant hammer on with the pick as opposed to a finger on the right hand
Quote by Cheeseshark
I thought tapping always involved hammering with the right hand then pulling off and hammering or pulling of with your left hand? And can you show an example of what you meant by pulling off 2 notes? Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought it was played like this: t19p15p12

Sorry I may have phrased it poorly.

If you are playing something like in Surfing with the Alien you are fretting 21 with your left hand and tapping 22 with your pick. In this case you are rapidly alternating between two notes, therefore you can pretty much just go wild with your tapping hand and it will produce the right effect.

If you are playing the tapping in One you are fretting both 12 and 15 with your left hand and tapping 19 with your pick. In this case you tap 19, then release which will play 15, then release 15 which will play 12. When played very fast you get a triplet. What you can't do here is just go wild with your right hand, you need to be controlled and make sure that all 3 notes play, otherwise you will basically end up with a random mush of frets 12,15 and 19 which won't sound right.

Quote by Cheeseshark
Never actually listened to any Sarriani might give Surfing With The Alien a listen though.

Highly recommended, check out Surfing and also Crystal Planet as the two best albums IMO.
i'm not sure if pick tapping is faster- it might be if you only use one right hand finger to tap, but if you use multiple right hand fingers, probably not.

i though one was pick tapping but i could well be wrong. i thought i read in a guitar mag once that it was (and it sure sounds like pick tapping), but obviously the mag could be wrong. in the vid in the second bit of the tapping he's using his finger, but then again that doesn't mean that's what he did when recording it (and the first really fast bit could be pick tapping, but the second slower tapping bit could be regular finger tapping, of course).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Random3
Sorry I may have phrased it poorly.

If you are playing something like in Surfing with the Alien you are fretting 21 with your left hand and tapping 22 with your pick. In this case you are rapidly alternating between two notes, therefore you can pretty much just go wild with your tapping hand and it will produce the right effect.

If you are playing the tapping in One you are fretting both 12 and 15 with your left hand and tapping 19 with your pick. In this case you tap 19, then release which will play 15, then release 15 which will play 12. When played very fast you get a triplet. What you can't do here is just go wild with your right hand, you need to be controlled and make sure that all 3 notes play, otherwise you will basically end up with a random mush of frets 12,15 and 19 which won't sound right.

Highly recommended, check out Surfing and also Crystal Planet as the two best albums IMO.

That is pretty much what I usually do except I usually use the middle finger of my right hand instead of the pick. My issue was trying to convert to using the pick cleanly because I read somewhere that it was faster, though I now think they were referring to the Satriani style tapping more than the tapping from One.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure if pick tapping is faster- it might be if you only use one right hand finger to tap, but if you use multiple right hand fingers, probably not.

i though one was pick tapping but i could well be wrong. i thought i read in a guitar mag once that it was (and it sure sounds like pick tapping), but obviously the mag could be wrong. in the vid in the second bit of the tapping he's using his finger, but then again that doesn't mean that's what he did when recording it (and the first really fast bit could be pick tapping, but the second slower tapping bit could be regular finger tapping, of course).

I've never seen anyone use multiple right hand fingers when tapping? Can you give any examples of this? Sounds cool.
Also, sorry for the week late response.
Quote by Cheeseshark
That is pretty much what I usually do except I usually use the middle finger of my right hand instead of the pick. My issue was trying to convert to using the pick cleanly because I read somewhere that it was faster, though I now think they were referring to the Satriani style tapping more than the tapping from One.

I've never seen anyone use multiple right hand fingers when tapping? Can you give any examples of this? Sounds cool.
Also, sorry for the week late response.

jeff watson from Night Ranger does that. check a few of their vids
Vai does it sometimes, too.

I'm guessing a lot of people do it, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?