hey all.
here's some metal

always wanted to start up a metal band, but was always the folky/jam band/hipster guy, so i decided to do it myself. kind of a demo, gonna use it to possibly start a metal group i hope. its a little rough, drums are boring programed stuff on account of me not playing drums, and first time really doing metal vocals. anyways, just looking for some thoughts. thanks
Sounds really cool dude....not really feeling feeling the vocals though. I just felt like they didn't go good with the music but if you had actual drums it would sound ****ing badass. Keep it up...
The synth and drums creat a dark mood and it sounds great. The vocals sound like what every idiot does when they do a metal vocalist impression. The music is amazing, keep up the good work but the vocal style isn't working. For someone who has just started making metal it it surprisingly good, if I heard this without reading about you I would assume that you have been signed and have toured loads. Good luck and rock on.
Thanks guys. Yea, i know the vocals are not great, was going for guttural, but have a history of choking (usually figuratively, but in this case literally too ) When hastily recording vocals. Question is, what vocals do you think would be good for this type of music? I like the sound in my head of the guttural vocals in this music, so does anyone have any tips on doing them better? I'm pushing air the best i can, but its not where I'd like it to be
Quote by FranktheRabbit1
The synth and drums creat a dark mood and it sounds great. The vocals sound like what every idiot does when they do a metal vocalist impression. The music is amazing, keep up the good work but the vocal style isn't working. For someone who has just started making metal it it surprisingly good, if I heard this without reading about you I would assume that you have been signed and have toured loads. Good luck and rock on.
thanks a lot man, this is really nice to hear. The general response to the tinge by people that i know and could actually start something with has been overwhelming silence, so the kind words are appreciated. Ive been listening to metal all my life and have been playing music for ten years, so i had a pretty good idea of what i was going for. Just the vocals have been a constant foil for me.
Hello there.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my track - sorry it has taken soo long for me to return the favour, I have been without internet for a little while.

I like the feel of the track - it has a cool brooding, dark vibe to it. The lead guitar parts sorta reminded me of Type o Negative (not such a bad thing for me). The guitars sound really good. The drums are a little simple and could do with some tweaking for my taste - the kick doesnt really punch through and the snare is a bit boxy for me.

As for the vocals - well they arent awful, but they could be better. My advice to everyone trying this sort of thing is to try recording your vocals with a less forced sound (just bit raspy) and then bus it to a separate track when mixing, and add some distortion. Mix together with the dry vocal to taste. It usually creates a passable sound. I think it would help to lose some of the reverb off the vocal too - it's a bit overpowering.

Anyway, cool idea and quite enjoyable to listen to.

Cheers
I like the slow buildup of energy throughout the song, the vocals feel detached from the core of the song. some higher screams would be great to hear in this track, the vibe of the instrumental makes me think of a bloody asylum or something along those lines, which is awesome for metal. i'd love to hear the drums progress a bit more throughout the song, have the bass drum fill in a bit more towards the end, maybe have some really low power chords come up after the energy reaches a good point. honestly, i wouldn't mind hearing some clean vocals in this song, may actually come across heavier. have a few really low guttural growls scattered throughout.

check out my song if you want, it's acoustic so it's not really in the same realm but what the heck

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1685927