So basically unlike the normal fretting technique where fingers point upwards, in this the fingers point downwards so the hand is like upside down. So the pinky plays the low notes and the index can play the high notes. I saw it on the "Through the Fire and Flames" youtube video.

Can anyone explain to me why this method would be used and how to use it?
It's purely a showboating thing; someone may wish to correct me but I'm pretty certain there's no actual practical benefit. I could list a load of disadvantages, though, if you want? Michael Angelo Batio claims he invented it and calls it the over-under technique, but in my experience he is somewhat full of shit. It's as good a name as any, though; there's not really a "proper" name for it because it's just a thing shredders do as a show of dexterity and doesn't generally function as a legitimate playing technique.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
It's purely a showboating thing; someone may wish to correct me but I'm pretty certain there's no actual practical benefit. I could list a load of disadvantages, though, if you want? Michael Angelo Batio claims he invented it and calls it the over-under technique, but in my experience he is somewhat full of shit. It's as good a name as any, though; there's not really a "proper" name for it because it's just a thing shredders do as a show of dexterity and doesn't generally function as a legitimate playing technique.

unless your Stanley Jordon...
play well

wolf
yeah i think it's pretty much just showboating
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Michael Angelo Batio claims he invented it and calls it the over-under technique...

That's actually an entirely different technique than what the OP is talking about.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
That's actually an entirely different technique than what the OP is talking about.

i'm pretty sure it's not, except that MAB switches back and forth a lot between "proper" technique and overhand
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

actually that one part towards the beginning of the vid is done because the normal way doesn't give you the same spread as doing it that way. yeah it does look like showboating but give it a try both ways and i think you'll find that the over method makes it easier.

now of course much of the on top playing is just for show. i used to do that when i was doing the band thing and was actually pretty good at it. this included doing bends and vibrato.
I hadn't watched the video that closely and I think I skipped to the solo when I watched because that's where I expected to see it.

The bit at the start, I can sort of see what you mean but if I'm honest, even trying it on my soft-V-necked Telecaster with my complete lack of chops the stretches aren't an issue at all; I still think it would be at least as manageable using normal technique. Honestly, even looking at live videos I can't see any point at which it looks at all necessary, or like any advantages would outweigh the loss of left-hand stability playing like that. Still, we've established I'm far from competent, much less at metal, so if you say it's advantageous I'm inclined to believe you've a better chance of being right than I do.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I hadn't watched the video that closely and I think I skipped to the solo when I watched because that's where I expected to see it.

The bit at the start, I can sort of see what you mean but if I'm honest, even trying it on my soft-V-necked Telecaster with my complete lack of chops the stretches aren't an issue at all; I still think it would be at least as manageable using normal technique. Honestly, even looking at live videos I can't see any point at which it looks at all necessary, or like any advantages would outweigh the loss of left-hand stability playing like that. Still, we've established I'm far from competent, much less at metal, so if you say it's advantageous I'm inclined to believe you've a better chance of being right than I do.

manageable perhaps depending on finger length. for me (short fingers) i can see where that might work a little better (aside from looking cool). i haven't watched the vid in ages but knew exactly what he OP was talking about when mentioned. i also seem to remember it being metnioned when Guitar world had a transcript of the song. not saying it couldn't be done the normal waty just that it "seemed" like it made that stretch easier to play fast.
Quote by Hail
i'm pretty sure it's not, except that MAB switches back and forth a lot between "proper" technique and overhand

No, it is different.

His technique is a rapid, alternating overhand and underhand fretting of notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhO-AtMJoA
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
No, it is different.

His technique is a rapid, alternating overhand and underhand fretting of notes

Well yeah, but it's a take on the same concept.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22