When I listen to other guitarists play they seem to be able to change chords without there begin a gap between them. How do you do this? When I play I can't seem to fill in those gaps especially when changing strings. This is also noticeable in my playing when I'm playing melodies. Do the same methods apply to those or do you need to use some other techniques for them?
if you practise enough you can do it quickly enough that you can't hear the change

also sometimes you can start to change chord while still strumming and the ear kind of doesn't notice the change. it's a lot less noticeable than leaving a big gap, at least.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As a fingerpicker I will often change chords progressively, with the fingers individually landing in place as the note is about to be played, rather than a big jump with all fingers grabbing the chord at once.
Have you tried the open string method? If say you were strumming, you can play an open fretboard during the change without altering your strum pattern.
Try this:
C = C chord
G = G chord
O = open strings
< down strum
> up strum

CCCCOGGGGOCCCC
< < < < > < < < > < < < <

NicK

It lost its spacing but you kind of get the idea. Its what Dave was saying.
Last edited by Nick1Piper at Aug 25, 2015,
Economy of motion is an important factor for smooth changes. Learning to base your chords off the 4th string will expand chord voicing knowledge and allow for smoother changes overall.

I'd suggest start with 4th string as the root of the chord and then using it for inversions, 3rd, 7th etc.

There is also a voicing where the 3rd of the chord is based on the 5th string. Some call this a Jimi chord or voicing.

5th string roots are fun and easy for turning a major triad to a maj7 chord with lifting one finger.

So many more options too.
Just practice it takes time i been learning guitar for almost a year and my chord changes are still slow there geting better go to Justinguitar.com and start off with his beginners course.
There are exceries there that can help u