OK, I have a Pod xt live and I'm looking to get an amp head to run it through. I've played it through my Bugera and I love the sounds I get from it. I've played it through a solid state crate and had trouble dialing in an acceptable tone (I'm guessing it could have been the speakers).
So, I'm looking to spend around $500 on a head. I only really need a good clean chanel. Everything g will be running through the pod. Loud enough to play with a band. Live in Indiana. Don't mind used. I play mostly drop C# metal but my versatility will come from the pod. So I'm really looking for a good full loud clean sound.
Was looking at a 6505 but again, I don't care about the amps distortion so I don't know if there is anything else that would fit the bill. I would buy another Bugera but I tried one and had to return it due to some squealing problem.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
If you are looking at spending $500 on a tube amp for metal then you do not want to be running the clean channel through a multifx. The 6505 is an absolute beast, you do not need to run it through a Pod to get the distortion you want.

Also as you didn't mention this, if you are getting a head you also need to get a cab.

My advice is sell the multifx and get a 6505 or similar, depending on specifically what kind of tone you want, and a suitable cab.

EDIT: Unless of course you want to keep it for effects.
Last edited by Random3 at Aug 23, 2015,
I say get a 6505 1x12 combo used, they run $350. You can also get a Peavey 5150/6505 2x12 for $500
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by eoj02
OK, I have a Pod xt live and I'm looking to get an amp head to run it through. I've played it through my Bugera and I love the sounds I get from it. I've played it through a solid state crate and had trouble dialing in an acceptable tone (I'm guessing it could have been the speakers).
So, I'm looking to spend around $500 on a head.

Several options, here, and you'll want to think a bit outside the "guitar" box.

One. If you can find a good used Atomic Reactor 112-50 or a 212-50, you'll have found a 6L6 50W tube power amp inside an oversize 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet. These were specifically designed for modelers, and you should be able to find a pristine example in the neighborhood of $300-350.

Note that you can also drop the "bean" pods into a bay on these things and use the FBV Shortboard as your foot pedal.

The 2x12 is oversize and ported (it's about 2/3rds the size of a 4x12 at 20" x 30") with a pair of Eminence 200W speakers specially designed for this application. Much more bottom end than you'll get with an open back 2x12, much more than with a 4x12 as well. If you're downtuning, you will actually hear some of what you're downtuning for. I have one of these and a pair of the 1x12s (great for hauling to a practice session).

Option two. A Carvin PM15A.

This looks like a powered PA-style speaker (because it is). 400W RMS power amp built in, 1x15" LF driver, 1" tweeter. $339 (!). It weighs just 38 pounds. It will produce more bottom end than any 4x12. You can toss it on the floor as a wedge monitor, put it on an amp stand (as in the photo) or even put it up on a speaker stand like a PA style speaker. The Pod plugs into the back (there's actually a sort of mini-mixer back there) and you're done. You'll want to re-adjust and tweak your Pod settings because this cabinet will reproduce well beyond what a guitar cabinet will.
if a clean channel is what you need, get a vox or blackstar. also, your clean channel is largely determined by your pickups, so make sure you have a good set of those. also, if you insist on using the pod for distortion, i cant recommend it. the blackstar ht 20 sounds like a good choice for you. they sound killer, and the combos go for about 300$ used. you will wind up needing to change the speaker in it though, because the one that comes stock in it (a celestion rocket 50) is very crappy. the amp can be played into a separate head, or you can just buy the amp head.
Thanks for the responses. The 6505 does sound like a great option.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Dspellman failed to mention that he also uses a Two Note Torpedo cab simulator when he uses that PA speaker.
A 6505+ combo with a better speaker, say a V30, costs about the same as the cab simulator alone. If you don't want the preamp then just plug the Pod straight into the FX return.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification