Hi everyone.
I bought an Epiphone Les Paul a few months ago and have been playing it a hell of a lot since. I've noticed scratches on the Rosewood fretboard and am concerned as to whether my playing style is too aggressive or something. If this is normal I will happily ignore it but if not it's definitely going to bug me. Is there anyway to remove them? I've attached some pictures.

Thanks,
Jack.
I don't see anything there that doesn't look like a normal rosewood fretboard. They often have tiny grooves, it's part of the grain of the wood.

I had a friend in Louisiana who brought me a Strat to work on, he had played it for years, it had developed fingernail divots in it you wouldn't believe. These were 1/8 inch deep troughs in between most of the frets near the nut under several strings. I don't have pictures any more, but it also had some of the worst fret grooves I've ever seen. Didn't hurt the guitar or neck any, just made it feel a little weird to play it.

Photobucket apparently doesn't list the links to post shots here any more, I'll see how this works. This is a shot of the fret grooves. Doesn't show the fretboard divots though...wish I still had those shots...

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/paleopete/fret_wear.jpg

By the way, you can see the same grain in the fretboard there, just not as close up.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Aug 23, 2015,
Quote by Paleo Pete
I don't see anything there that doesn't look like a normal rosewood fretboard. They often have tiny grooves, it's part of the grain of the wood.

I had a friend in Louisiana who brought me a Strat to work on, he had played it for years, it had developed fingernail divots in it you wouldn't believe. These were 1/8 inch deep troughs in between most of the frets near the nut under several strings. I don't have pictures any more, but it also had some of the worst fret grooves I've ever seen. Didn't hurt the guitar or neck any, just made it feel a little weird to play it.

Photobucket apparently doesn't list the links to post shots here any more, I'll see how this works. This is a shot of the fret grooves. Doesn't show the fretboard divots though...wish I still had those shots...

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/paleopete/fret_wear.jpg

By the way, you can see the same grain in the fretboard there, just not as close up.

Damn that'd drive me crazy. Hate seeing a good guitar get hurt like that. Glad to hear there's nothing wrong with mine though! Thanks for the help.
Quote by javis0317 at #33563493
Damn that'd drive me crazy. Hate seeing a good guitar get hurt like that. Glad to hear there's nothing wrong with mine though! Thanks for the help.

It's not getting hurt. It's getting loved by getting a lot of use.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by TobusRex
What model is that? Epi Custom?

@Paleo : cool story!

Tribute plus in midnight sapphire. Amazing guitar. Would recommend to anyone.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Ahahaha definitely the way I'm going to try look at it from now on.

I like that comment.

And true too, the guy loved that guitar. I don't know how long he had played it, can't remember, but it was broken too, the piece of wood the neck butts against was broken, I had to glue it back together. I think it got dropped. His fingernails had created the divots between frets, years of playing it created some of the worst fret grooves I've ever had to fix. It got glued, filed, crowned, cleaned, restrung, tuned, intonated and he was a happy camper.

I guess I need to do something about pictures, I can't get photobucket to load the rest of my shots...I have some shots of the guitar while it was being repaired, they won't load...and I'm pretty sure they were on photobucket...I'm not happy with their new format anyway.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

When I see that stuff I'm reminded of hearing Stevie Ray Vaughan having new slots cut into one of his necks because he had had it refretted it so many times.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.