As you can see in the title, I am looking for a new guitar
I did originally think of getting a floyd rose bridge, however I don't believe in this price range there will be something worth having!
The main factors I want really are:
- 6 string though are there significant benefits of say a 7 string?
- 24 fret
- Good for changing tunings (eg drop D, drop C - nothing much lower than that)
- And it needs to look good!

I'm thinking maybe down the ibanez route, because I play rock and metal, however I want it to be versatile so I can play blues and jazz occasionally. Oh and I'd love to have humbuckers, because I already have a strat and want something a bit different.

Feel free to suggest guitars and links to where I can I buy it would be preferable but not essential (I live in the UK)

Thanks
Last edited by EpicGuitarGuy13 at Aug 23, 2015,
well for that price range you are likely to get guitars with licensed floyd rose systems. ibanez guitars generally have thinner necks which are suitable for rock, metal etc. if you are someone who frequently tries different tuning's then don't go for floyd rose trem guitars.

i can think of ibanez RG470 or S770. try looking at ESP's as well. it should give you options.
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Yeah thanks, that's kinda why I don't want Floyd Rose because I hear how much of a pain they are to tune, so even going to drop D will be hard! But yeah the RG470 was what I was kind of looking at, the S770 also looks good, however its a little out of my price range. Although it shouldn't really be a deciding factor, I also want it to look good. So I'd rather have either a plain oiled top or something like flame maple esc design - basically not just matt black or a solid colour!

Obviously not this guitar as it's a bit out of my price range, but something like this really in terms of design:

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/ibanez-premium-rg721rw-cnf-electric-guitar-charcoal-brown-flat
Last edited by EpicGuitarGuy13 at Aug 23, 2015,
yeah at that price range (unless you go used) you're going to struggle to get something with a good floyd rose, and also if you want to change tunings a lot floyds (at least, floating floyds) are a bit of a pain to change tunings with- not impossible, but a lot of extra work where you have to balance the trem etc.

versatility is going to be very much decided by the pickups- both the type and the specific models you go for. I like HSH (though a lot don't), that gives you a very wide range of tones. And if you're ok with swapping pickups down the line that means you're pretty much in charge of your own destiny when it comes to how versatile the thing is- just put versatile pickups in there.

Of course, if you go in thinking you're going to change pickups from the get-go, it might make sense to just save up and get that premium you linked to if that's the one you really want (I haven't tried the premiums).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://www.chapmanguitars.co.uk/guitars/ml-3-modern/

I'd check out something from Chapman guitars if you want a bit of an outside the box option
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
The looks and/or design is a very very personal thing. Something that looks really good to you is not something many other people gonna like. So you are gonna have to decide that yourself.

The ibanez that you have mentioned is a tad expensive but really looks good. I am a bit surprised as to why it's so expensive there in the UK. Here in India it's about £380+. Check out the link.

http://www.bajaao.com/collections/electric-guitars/products/ibanez-rg721rw-electric-guitar-charcoal-brown-flat
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
Last edited by AiC at Aug 24, 2015,
Yeah I completely agree, it looks nice but its very expensive in the UK for some reason. Also I will have a look at Chapman and maybe I would be up for swapping out pickups down the line, because I'm somewhat experienced , although not with what sounds the best! Furthermore , I understand that others may find guitars to look better than others, but like that link just natural looking guitars really take my fancy!

I have some possible guitars:
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13120714014558
- RG421 as recommended before, but this looks really nice

Also: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11012510214628
- Schecter Omen-7 this is a 7 string, would you say there are many benefits of a 7 string?

Also: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10112914135348
- Schecter Omen - I hadn't actually heard of this brand before researching into guitars, any good?

Edit: I also did look at Chapman guitars and the ML-1 looks really nice, although they seem to be a little expensive!
Last edited by EpicGuitarGuy13 at Aug 24, 2015,
I have played a 7 string exactly once in my life, it was an ESP. It was not bad at all, but for me personally did not seem necessary especially for the kinda music I play. Have never played Schecter guitars, none of my friends have one either, so can't say whether they are good or not, although the Omen extreme does look good.

But between the 3 the Ibanez looks the sweetest. My only concern is since it is only a £239 guitar, I am not too sure how good the pickups are. You may need to upgrade them later.
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
Yeah that is a good point about the pickups, that Ibanez is well known though so its bound to do the job quite well! And I guess being that kind of price then changing pickups later on will not be such an issue for pricing.
A mate of mine had an Ibby with those stock pups years ago. He used to wonder if the designers were trying to make them sound bland.

spoiler: he was playing it through a 'bedroom br00tz' eq'd marshall valvestate, so they might sound a lot better through a better/better set up amp.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Well then maybe a better question would be, what pickups would people recommend for that guitar. (Something around the £80-90 mark). Then maybe I could get that guitar because not going to lie it looks nice! But I could replace the pickups for something better
Well i'm pretty sure the ibanez comes with passive pickups, so you are gonna need an improved version of the those pickups.

For passive I can think of Seymour Duncan SH-4 or dimarzio activator DP220 and DP219 for bridge and neck. But i don't know if it will be within £90.
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
Last edited by AiC at Aug 24, 2015,
I just did a quick google search and it's more like £100-£120 but if the standard pickups really are that dull it's got to be worth it!
Yeah it will be. Try the guitar, buy it if you like it and then a couple of months down the line if you feel it needs an upgrade get the upgraded pickups. I think it should all still come within your planned budget.
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
I just did a quick google search and it's more like £100-£120 but if the standard pickups really are that dull it's got to be worth it!

They aren't. Pickups are the last, last, last thing you need to worry about in the signal chain, after you've gotten everything else working the way you need it to.

That's not to say that they don't make a difference because they certainly do, but it's usually a small change as opposed to a radical one. (as with all things, there are exceptions of course.)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I guess the amp / pedals creates the majority of the tone. But yh maybe several months down the line I will look for an upgrade .
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
I guess the amp / pedals creates the majority of the tone. But yh maybe several months down the line I will look for an upgrade .

Like I say, his amp was pretty crappy, and none of use had a better one to play it through at the time.

That may or may not have been during his Metal Zone phase, I can't quite recall.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Check out Thomann.de rather than guitar guitar.

You won't be able to try the guitars in person (unless you trek out to Germany) but you'll get a bit more guitar for your squids. Free delivery in that price range too
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by The Judist
Roll up the sleeves on your pastel suit jacket and get this http://www.gak.co.uk/en/steinberger-spirit-gt-pro-deluxe-white/53652

I've heard and read good things about Steinbergers, at least the more spendy ones, but I just can't bring myself to play something so god-awful fugly!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by GABarrie at #33565369
Check out Thomann.de rather than guitar guitar.

You won't be able to try the guitars in person (unless you trek out to Germany) but you'll get a bit more guitar for your squids. Free delivery in that price range too

Yeah, I'd recommend Thomann. I tried Baxshop for some gear, but I'll report back on that when I have them. As they're slightly cheaper and claim to be quicker in delivery.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Arby911
They aren't. Pickups are the last, last, last thing you need to worry about in the signal chain, after you've gotten everything else working the way you need it to.

That's not to say that they don't make a difference because they certainly do, but it's usually a small change as opposed to a radical one. (as with all things, there are exceptions of course.)

stock ibanez pickups might be the exception

but personally i don't think i'd get duncans or dimarzios in europe as retrofits, they're pretty dear. there are handwinder which are often cheaper, or things like irongear, entwistle and tonerider (which I haven't tried) which are a fair bit cheaper.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah Thomann does seem to be ever so slightly cheap give or take £20 , but all useful advice. Thanks
just bear in mind, depending on your credit card, that you might get charged a foreign currency fee. it can vary but it's often around 3%. So bear that in mind when seeing how much cheaper thomann is (and also independently check the exchange rate just in case thomann hasn't updated its conversions in a while).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911
I've heard and read good things about Steinbergers, at least the more spendy ones, but I just can't bring myself to play something so god-awful fugly!
Philistine!
I've never tried the newer wooden ones but the original carbon fibre ones were awesome machines.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification