I'm saving up for a full sized amp and am looking into getting the Dual reticifier 100/50w. I know the mini would be more suitable for bedroom playing but for the money im willing to spend, I want the real deal. Would I be able to get bedroom volume with the 50 watts? Need some advice.
Volume & wattage are not directly related. Even low-wattage amps can be quite loud, and very powerful amps can always be turned down with volume/master volume knobs.

But for REAL info, there is this very well done thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571081
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If my Single Rec is anything to go by, Rectifiers sound fine at low volumes. Mine is 50 watts and I play at bedroom levels a lot.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Bedroom volume works out to be about 1/10th of a watt for most of us. This is what the math looks like:
1/10w=90db
1/2w = 97db
1w = 100db
10w = 110db
20w = 113db
50w = 117db
100w=120db

For reference, A live Journey concert is about 115db, a Pantera concert is about 120db.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 23, 2015,
Yeah. There's no guarantee (I haven't tried it) the mini rectifier is any better for bedroom playing, in other words.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Go for it. Read the link Danny gave. With Death in your user name I'm guessing you will want to play metal with it. You'll find yourself on 100W and Diodes for those tones at ANY volume.

Use the Master and Output volumes.

Watts do not equal volume for these high gain amps. Watts equal headroom and tightness.

You may also want a tubescreamer pedal setup as a boost at low volumes.

I also highly suggest an amp stand (or boxes, milk crates, tables, etc) and put the speakers on the same plane as your ears. Much better all around and especially at low volumes.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah. There's no guarantee (I haven't tried it) the mini rectifier is any better for bedroom playing, in other words.

It won't be better but it won't be any worse either. At bedroom levels a 1w amp will sound every bit as powerful as a 100 w. You just never get into that 100w dynamic headroom range if you never exceed 100db. Turning down the master just reduces power amp wattage output. With metal it is all happening in the preamp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 23, 2015,
Absolutely, the room in which you play matters.

To put a different context on it, when my mom got a grand piano, she bought a 5'6" baby sized one. It sounded wonderful, but small in the music store's showroom.

In the contest of our (not small) house, it sounds YUGE! When she plays a piece demanding a bit of vigor and energy, there is not a place in the house you can't hear it. In fact, we found out that people could hear it across the street.

All, of course, with just its natural, un-amplified acoustics.

Ditto my last cello teacher's instrument, a beautiful 400+ year old cello. I own an entry-level pro cello, but when he played an open C with force, he could cause knick-knacks in the room to rattle...

A guitar amp- even small one- can do that and more...in the right room.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
my tremoverb (dual rec) works great at low volumes. i play it at night all of the time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks guys for the helpful advice. I will most likely be getting a Dual Reticifier soon
Make sure you do a NAD! We love gawking at gear
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Bedroom volume works out to be about 1/10th of a watt for most of us. This is what the math looks like:
1/10w=90db
1/2w = 97db
1w = 100db
10w = 110db
20w = 113db
50w = 117db
100w=120db

For reference, A live Journey concert is about 115db, a Pantera concert is about 120db.

To add to this, 10 × power = a 10 dB increase. 10db is roughly × square root of 10 louder if I remember correctly, which is a bit over 3. That's a general guideline for volume, though there are of course a ton of factors.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^ I thought 10x power was double volume? is that 6dB? I always get confused what double volume is

Quote by Cajundaddy
It won't be better but it won't be any worse either. At bedroom levels a 1w amp will sound every bit as powerful as a 100 w. You just never get into that 100w dynamic headroom range if you never exceed 100db. Turning down the master just reduces power amp wattage output. With metal it is all happening in the preamp.

in my experience higher wattage amps often sound better turned way down- but that's normally compared to single-enders. that might not apply to push-pulls.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I thought 10x power was double volume? is that 6dB? I always get confused what double volume is

Yes.

No.

10x power is double volume, 10db is double volume. Unfortunately that's where the relationship ends. If twice the power were 2db (and 3 and 4 and 5 etc.) that would be really convenient, but 2x power is 3db...

Which is why many people get confused, because when you initially see the 10x power = 10db thing, you assume a linear relationship.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Thanks. Yeah I think I knew 3dB was twice the power. And yeah I knew it was logarithmic (it is, right?) which is why I got confused, just I got confused in the "right" way (that's my story and I'm sticking to it ).

I tried looking it up on wikipedia one day (ages ago) and couldn't find the info.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 24, 2015,
When we do rehearsals the gain channel on my mini Recifier is only on 3.
I mainly went with the mini one cause it's easy to move around etc. sounds great thought.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻