What are your thoughts on playing very popular songs, crowd Pleasers if you will, if everyone, or mostly everyone in the band hates playing them?
Might want to move this to the bandleading sub, you'll get better feedback there.

My two cents, for the record: play music because you enjoy playing it. Find crowd pleasers that are also band pleasers, it'll be worth the hours of arguing and researching and more arguing and trial and error and still more arguing once you have that perfect setlist.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Might want to move this to the bandleading sub, you'll get better feedback there.

My two cents, for the record: play music because you enjoy playing it. Find crowd pleasers that are also band pleasers, it'll be worth the hours of arguing and researching and more arguing and trial and error and still more arguing once you have that perfect setlist.

I'm with you man.

The backstory to my inquiry is my band recently decided to make up a little poll for ourselves to rate the songs we play so we can get rid of some of the songs we all collectively hate, or don't care to play. So some of the songs that got low ratings, singer and other guitarist think crowd pleasing should come into factor to decide if we ultimately axe them. Drummer I'm sure agrees with me, not sure about bassist, but we're practicing tonight and be discussing.

We've been a band since 2008, and have played many gigs and have a quite large fan base for being a small cover band in the Canadian prairies. We've travelled 3 hours to play gigs even so it's not like we need to be drawing people in by playing hits that has gone gold or platinum if you know what I mean.

/rant over lol
^Basically what the first guy said. Playing songs the audience will like is fine, but playing stuff you won't enjoy playing is not worth your time.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by esky15
What are your thoughts on playing very popular songs, crowd Pleasers if you will, if everyone, or mostly everyone in the band hates playing them?

I'd take the money for the gig then play whatever I wanted. If they confronted me I'd kill everybody in the area and establish an alibi. First step....finding a dimwitted stooge to take the fall.

Where is a good place to find drummers? Do they gather outside Lowes like illegal aliens?
Quote by esky15

Depends on what kind of band you want to be. The most successful bands know how to take an old tired standard and turn it into something pretty hot. Joe Cocker, Def Leppard, and John Mayer all do this pretty well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The discussion ended up going a lot different than I expected. It ended up with us dropping some of the crowd Pleasers that we played when we were early in the band because we felt a lot were just stepping stones and set fillers.
In my band we don't officially "drop" any songs we replace them with others of a similar nature then don't play the one we replaced unless asked. If you have a classic crowd pleaser that you are just tired of doing, replace it with a similar one (same band or genre). Down the road when you get a request for a song you haven't done in awhile you'll be surprised how much you actually enjoy pulling it out of the closet once in awhile. Don't reduce your available song list, just add more songs and play those that you are tired of playing less often. If you've played them that much you'll still know how to play them a year from now.

Just last week we had a short rehearsal to specifically pull out half a dozen older songs that we haven't played in a few years. It was a short practice because we just played them to make sure we all remembered the arrangement (we did). Since we move around from club to club most of our current audience has never heard us play them and the ones that have followed us for a long time enjoy hearing them again. It's a win/win situation.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 25, 2015,
Well I guess with the final tally, we only dropped one, and pulled about 7 or so out of regular rotation to either to keep in the back pocket or to refine it.
That sounds good. I know how it feels. Certain songs that were OK when you first played them can become a boring pain in the ass when you have to play them over and over for a few years. Hopefully you can just stop playing those seven songs for awhile. Somewhere down the road you can just reintroduce them and it seems like your band just added seven new songs overnight (almost a sets worth of material).
Quote by Rickholly74
That sounds good. I know how it feels. Certain songs that were OK when you first played them can become a boring pain in the ass when you have to play them over and over for a few years. Hopefully you can just stop playing those seven songs for awhile. Somewhere down the road you can just reintroduce them and it seems like your band just added seven new songs overnight (almost a sets worth of material).

Nah, our sets are usually 16-18 songs each. Haha
Wow 16 to 18 songs a set. Do play long sets or short songs? I'm use to the 45 minutes on 15 minutes off for four sets.
I agree with sid - pick crowd pleasers that the band also want to play. We have the same issue in the band I'm in. We want to play up-to-date material (ie, only 10-15 years old) but are struggling to find enough that fit both categories (crowd pleaser and band want to play). I then get a hard time for suggesting more stuff from the 80s. Would be keen to hear anyone's suggestions. Here are some we play:

Post yr 2000; candy (Paolo nutini), use somebody, sex on fire and temple (kings of lyon), smile liek you mean it, when you were young and mr bightside (killers), dakota (stereophonics), chasing cars (Snow patrol), learning to fly (foo fighters), locked out of heaven (bruno mars), rolling in the deep (adele), firework (Katy perry), happy (farell williams), starlight (muse), counting stars (one republic), fix you & clocks (clod play), many of horror (biffy clyro), ship to wreck (florence & the machine), only girl in the world (Rhianna) and we are thinking of doing something by royal blood (maybe little monster).

Really keen to hear your suggestions for post 2000 back.

Cheers

John
Quote by Rickholly74
Wow 16 to 18 songs a set. Do play long sets or short songs? I'm use to the 45 minutes on 15 minutes off for four sets.

3 one hour long sets roughly with a 30 minute break ish. Varies with start time a bit, but the third set gets dragged out a bit and is usually the longest.

John. We only have a handful or so of post 2000 songs. Cold hard bitch - jet. All hell for a basement - big sugar. Lit up - buck cherry(I think that's actually 1999). Raise your glass and so what - pink. A hard rock of royals - lorde. Joker and the thief - wolf mother. Born free - kid rock. A couple of Airbourne tunes.

The rest, aside from a few 90s tunes is all classic rock from Boston to CCR to Joan Jett to AC/DC to Mellencamp etc etc.
Last edited by esky15 at Sep 1, 2015,
My band is like Esky. Not much post 2000 stuff and a lot of 70's-80's classic rock. We play for an older audience primarily more 40's and 50's age group so most stuff post 2000 doesn't work for us or the people who come to see us.

My band use to do the three one hour set thing but as I've gotten older my attention span has gotten shorter so it's now 40 minutes on 20 minutes break. It can vary depending on the crowd and we won't stop just because the clock reaches a certain time but generally it's 40/20.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 1, 2015,
Everyone loves the classic rock hits so it's a win win no matter who we play for, that's the beauty of it.
Classic rock hits are our stock in trade. We have about 200 songs in the catalog with about 60 well rehearsed and on deck. If a few get tired we rotate them out and rotate in some others. Our set also varies depending on the crowd and venue. Some gigs need all danceable songs while others like car shows and Harley rallies not so much. Variety keeps things interesting.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Classic rock hits are our stock in trade. We have about 200 songs in the catalog with about 60 well rehearsed and on deck. If a few get tired we rotate them out and rotate in some others. Our set also varies depending on the crowd and venue. Some gigs need all danceable songs while others like car shows and Harley rallies not so much. Variety keeps things interesting.

Most of the time the crowd we have to alter sets for is how many old people are there, so most CCR type stuff will be early, because they don't stay too late for weddings and stuff, or a crowd of young who like it all.

We've only played one biker rally when we started out but we still have those heavy tunes in the back pocket.