hello all,
really exited, just wanted to share.
It all started when I saw this cool spalted maple jazz bass body from rockaudio on evilbay. $85! So I told myself... I'll just replace my p bass body with this cool jazz bass body.
well, I got it and was blown away with how it looks:

EDIT: above = before and after shots of true oil.

my old p bass neck just wouldn't do. So then I bought a warmoth ebony fretboard with flamed maple jazz neck.
got a set of quarter pounders from craigslist, built a musicman preamp, a 6 way rotary switch on the way... should be interesting.

so... I've decided a jazz bass just isn't the same w/o a pickgaurd... my dilemma: black/cream/black, wood, or smoked transparent?

surely I can't go back to my old p bass body now right? so at some point I'll have to get a new p bass body but that can wait for now. so my point: in the end that $85 body tricked me!
Last edited by mistermikev at Aug 30, 2015,
LOL, yeah you need to watch that doesn't happen

Looks very nice. Are you meaning to leave it natural or paint it? (Hard to think about which pickguard to go for if I don't know )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for the response dave. I think I'm going to go with true oil, then poly over that for a thick gloss. the true oil adds a tiny bit of amber and accentuates the grain.
I'm torn because I hate to cover up the beauty, but a pickgaurd just really makes a jazz bass. a black one would look nice with the ebony neck, but a grey transparent would show the grain.
good problem to have though!
I'd say a solid black pickguard. Transparent pickguards look the durdles.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Just my two cents, but wouldn't a telecaster cover plate fit over that control hole? You can get a blank one on the internet (black, chrome and gold) and make your own. If it fits, you don't really need a pickguard. Don't know if it looks proper, though.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
chemist... kind of agree. I've see a brown transparent that looked ok, but yeah, not sure I like them.

icanhasgodmode... had actually considered that, and the possibility of the jazz control plate w/o the pickgaurd, but to me - a jazz bass doesn't look right w/o the pickgaurd.
In that case I would go with 1ply matte black.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
yeah black normally looks good with natural finishes... though sometimes white can, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah black normally looks good with natural finishes... though sometimes white can, too.

Yeah, but a little off white IMHO, so it won't be too light. So parchment or mint or something similar.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Yeah I was wondering about that when I typed that. Off-white may well work a little better for the reasons you said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what about black / cream / black? then repaint some jazz knobs w cream. the binding is cream. the fret markers are cream? fretboard is ebony... kind of tie it all together?
Quote by mistermikev
thanks for the response dave. I think I'm going to go with true oil, then poly over that for a thick gloss. the true oil adds a tiny bit of amber and accentuates the grain.

I'd use something other than true oil...

Here's a different take on a spalt cap, that still shows the grain:

ok, absolutely stunning. I see carvin pickups? what can you tell me about the finish?
looks like amber dye then a spray on burst? don't keep me hangin!

here is what true oil can do anyway
Last edited by mistermikev at Aug 25, 2015,
Quote by mistermikev
what about black / cream / black? then repaint some jazz knobs w cream. the binding is cream. the fret markers are cream? fretboard is ebony... kind of tie it all together?

No need to repaint: Cream Knob Set for Jazz Bass

Black/cream/black sounds good with all the other features you mention. And a pickguard is easily replaceable.

That finish dspellman posted is really nice, I would prefer that over true oil.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
icanhasgodmode: nice link. I was actually thinking black knobs but repaint the white markers to cream. cream knobs could work though!

i agree, that finish is stunning... not sure I am capable of that. it's world class.
Quote by mistermikev
icanhasgodmode: nice link. I was actually thinking black knobs but repaint the white markers to cream. cream knobs could work though!

i agree, that finish is stunning... not sure I am capable of that. it's world class.

Shouldn't be too difficult if you look up videos on YouTube. And don't do it hasty, it's not a woman

Besides that, you got all of us to back you up when you have questions. As long as you give us pictures of the end result.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Last edited by icanhasgodmode at Aug 27, 2015,
Quote by mistermikev
ok, absolutely stunning. I see carvin pickups? what can you tell me about the finish?
looks like amber dye then a spray on burst? don't keep me hangin!

The finish is a deep amber followed by sunsetburst edges. There *may* be some dark brown dye worked into the grain and then sanded back before the deep amber went on. If so, then it was a "deep sunset burst" finish. There's an example of it about four down here:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitargallery/ct6

Carvin follows with a clear, and the whole mess is UV-catalyzed polyester, I believe.

Tru-Oil (boiled linseed oil) is a finish I've used on walnut gun stocks over the years, and I'm really familiar with it. My issue with it is that it does NOT belong on a guitar body, especially one that you might be gigging with. It's far too soft (dings very easily), doesn't do well with either moisture or dirt. I shouldn't complain too loudly; those gunstocks, which left my hands looking gorgeous, would come back from a bad-weather hunt and need an almost complete re-do. It's why the Alaskan guides always left the blued, walnut-stocked guns behind and went hunting with a plastic-stocked stainless steel gun.

I have a couple of Tru-oiled (actually tung-oiled) guitars, one of which received some heavy use, and it looks like crap. Tru-Oil is a great produce and an appropriate finish if the guitar is going to be lightly used and left mostly at home.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 27, 2015,
hello, thanks for the info dspellman.
I wasn't aware that by itself it's not much of a hard finish.
carvin really does some nice work (except for my carvin but that has nothing to do with finish and is a whole other story).
as I understand, true oil is more than linseed... but I'm sure it's debate-able how much more.

I'm the best guitarist on my couch so ultimately a soft finish probably wouldn't matter for me anyway, but I was planning on using it just for grain enhancement then doing grain fill / poly.
I could do amber then sand it back then dillute then more amber... but I'd really like to stay closer to natural... but still enhance the grain so that's why it appeals to me.
I've done a hand rubbed burst before...

but this is a lam top and as such it's a one-shot. Not sure I wanna go that route.