Hi everyone!

I'm going to be moving to London for university (UCL) for the next 6 years, and I'm wondering where you'd go to get your guitar stuff/set your guitar up in that city (like actually make purchases, not look see try then scoot).

I've heard about Denmark Street, but opinions about that place are kinda mixed. It seems to me that that place is more for discovering guitar history than actually making purchases and stuff (due to pricing/quality). Other than that, I can't quite find any other shops on the web with people who can vouch for them.

There's also Anderton's down in Guildford, but that's pretty far away...

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Rob
I've bought from Denmark street before. It's definitely worth visiting for the sheer amount of guitar gear there. I can understand that some of the stuff there is expensive but some of the shops sell more affordable gear than others, and some price match with other shops.

Other than Denmark street your best bet is probably just scouting out your local guitar shop(s). There are far too many across the breadth of London to pick a best.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Denmark Street is great but yeah half those shops are more museums than anything. That said, several of them do sell normal-people guitars (Wunjo has fancy stuff on the walls but floors basically full of the guitars you'd find anywhere else, and there's Westside pretty much next to it which doesn't have all that much variety but has a lot of Martins, Schecters and Mesas).

Only other store I've done business with in London is Vintage Guitar Boutique on Bethnal Green Road - in spite of the name a large proportion of their stuff is normal guitars; good guys and while I don't think they're cheap I think the prices are alright by London standards.

Honestly, there'll probably be good places closer to where you end up, so ask around.

Congrats on UCL, by the way
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 24, 2015,
I've had dealings with Wunjo's and had no problems with them. Friend of mine has bought several guitars from them and they seem to have good aftercare if anything goes wrong. My advice would be for a guitar, try them out in Denmark street, buy on-line to get best price then have it professionally set-up by a luthier. You might also try Wembley Music Centre, but I have no experience with them.
Yeah, that's probably the best advice, since London is just an absurdly expensive place and that's reflected in the guitar prices.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Hmmm... I'm actually considering shipping one of my guitars (Jackson SL2H) over, but I'm afraid that it'll need quite some major work once I get to London. I live in a tropical country smack on the equator, and I've dropped this guitar before (it has cracks all over the finish, but seems structurally sound), and the hardware hasn't been changed for 13 years old (the screws in the back attaching the springs to the body are rusted so bad that it's getting into the body of the guitar) so yeah... need to find a place that can do a good guitar set up without needing me to sell my kidneys or smth... and I don't think any place on Denmark street quite fulfils both criteria haha.

Help me out here please? :P

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Congrats on UCL, by the way

Thanks! Really excited about it haha.
Sorry about the late reply. I had my guitar set-up by LA guitars in Barnet N. London. I wouldn't say they are cheap (nothing in London is!) but they are good. www.laguitars.com. Unless you're seriously attached to your guitar I'd buy new over here Thomann's mail order are meant to be excellent and their prices pretty much unbeatable.
Quote by robboster

There's also Anderton's down in Guildford, but that's pretty far away...

This was all I had to offer you. Lotta people have "world travel plans" and going there is my only "Travel" goal. Good luck!
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.