Page 1 of 3
If this thread already exists, screw it. I am no slave to the searchbar.

What mods have you done to your guitar(s) and why have you done them? What do they add to the guitar that was missing before?

I have other guitars, I'm just listing the ones I've currently modded.

Epiphone Futura Prophecy EX:

. 18v mod on the EMG's. Generally makes them sound a lot more kickass. Reduces their compression. Gives them a bit more output and low end.

. New TUSQ nut. The slots on the old nut had worn too deep, causing buzzing on the A and D strings.

. Fret level & dress. I simply wore the frets out.

. New Switchcraft switch and jack. The stock ones crapped out.

. Dunlop Straplocks.

Gibson Flying V '68

. New TUSQ nut. I accidentally hit the guitar in the nut area on a table, and took a corner of the nut out.

. Dunlop Straplocks.

Jackson DK2M (MIJ)

. New Schaller OFR. Replaced the Jackson LFR. I bought the guitar used and the previous owner wrecked the knife edges from tightening the studs under string tension. Idiot. New Floyd works beautifully though.

. Brass Big Block. I bought this because I ****ed up. I forgot to specify the length of the block when I ordered the Schaller bridge. and the new bridge's block was too long and stuck out of the back of the guitar. I bought a replacement and figured that I may as well get a big brass one while I'm at it.

. Trem Stopper. Makes downtuning and restringing less tedious.

. Allen wrench holder. Because every guitar with a Floyd should have them.

. 5-way switch. Took advantage of the 4 conductor wire of the Duncans. The guitar is now coil splittable. I don't use the 2nd and 4th positions very often at all, but it's nice that the option's there.

. Dunlop Straplocks.

Your turn.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 24, 2015,
I've done pickup swaps in a couple of guitars...mainly because I got defective pickups in those guitars the first time. Perfect time to upgrade.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Oh man, there's a character limit on posts so I couldn't really list all mine.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster at #33565519
Oh man, there's a character limit on posts so I couldn't really list all mine.

It's not like doubleposting gets you banned here anymore.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 24, 2015,
Tusq nut on each of my Epi Les Paul's and my Squier Strat. Helps tuning stability immensely.

Ebony LP got a new bridge to fix a D string that wouldn't quite intonate, and a new tailpiece to boot.

New CTS pots, Switchcraft jacks and switches and better quality caps for all three guits. 50s style wiring on the LPs. Probably doesn't make a difference in tone, but made the tone controls range more usable.

Cosmetic mods:

Gold reflector knobs on the Honeyburst, black reflectors on the Ebony. Those stock amber knobs just didn't cut it. Keystone tuner buttons on both as well. Removed the pickguard from the Honeyburst and filled in the screw holes with melted crayon to closely match the color as best I could.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Last edited by Stillhouse at Aug 24, 2015,
I'll try but I have a lot of mods LOL

Gladiator GG-258 LP:

New bridge and TP (lightweight ABR-1 with conversion posts replacing the zinc MIC crap)
Stew Mac Parson Stree HB (Magnet swapped to AIII neck + UOA5 bridge)
Refin (cherry burst to lemon)
Tuners (Wilkinson Tulips to Kluson Double Ring Tuners)
Knobs (MIC cheap amber tophats to Gold Reflectors)
Black plastics for the back
Historic Height PUP rings
Pointer washers added
50s wiring
new caps: (.022uF PIO bridge and .015uF PIO neck [Russian NOS] )

Epiphone Elitist 61 SG:

New pots + caps (.022uF PIO russian NOS)
New nut

1981 Dean Z Standard Flame:

New caps
new bridge (From 80s Harmonica bridge to period correct Nashville)
new tuners (from grovers to period correct mini Schallers)
new knobs (Black to gold speed knobs)

Dean Michael Schenker Retro:

New neck pickup (Epiphone Frankenpup)
New pots

Edwards (ESP) E-LP-98LTC: [Randy Rhoads Tribute]

Gold Poker Chip
Pointer Washers
Engraved Pickguard (Randy Rhoads)
Gold Speed Knobs

Squier Affinity Telecaster:

50s style tele wiring

Fender Partocaster:

Tex-Mex pickups
Kluson 6-in-line Vintage style tuners
Gold Reflectors

Kramer Pacer Special:

Replaced Banana headstock with SX leo Vintage style neck
New pot
Grover Tuners

Jackson RRXMG:

EMG 18v mod

2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard ('58 Reissue VOS) [Beano Tribute]

- New nut (Nylon)

- New pots + caps (CTS 500 + .022uf PIO NOS russian bridge CTS 550 +.015uF PIO NOS russian neck)

- New amber tophat knobs

- 50s wiring

- New tuners (Kluson double line)

- Removed cover on bridge Burstbucker (double black)

- Replaced neck Burstbucker with Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF (double cream).

- New plastics (rings + pickguard)

I think the only guitar I haven't modded yet is my acoustic
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Aug 24, 2015,
The 3 guitars I have now I'v only modded 2 of them.

Schecter Damien Special FR:

Replaced the EMG Hz's (H4/H4A) with a set of white GFS VEH's. I wanted some pups that were lower output (PAF like) with AV magnets. They are great for all the Classic Rock & Classic Metal tones I love.

Replaced the original control knobs (v/t) for some pearl top knobs to match the pups.

I plan on removing the tone pot and installing a momentary kill switch in its place. I already have the switch.

The pots (Alpha 500k a/b), jack and switch (both Switchcraft) were already great so no need in upgrading them.

The licensed Floyd still works flawlessly after a good 6 years of abuse. If it ever fails in the future, I will drop in an OFR and possibly a FR big block. The guitar already has great sustain, so just a regular OFR upgrade should push it over the top.

Cort Performer ('86):

After over 20 years of owning it I decided to do some mods to it, just for the hell of it. I replaced the pups with a set of chrome covered GFS Crunchy Pat's.

Replaced the pots with some 500k a/b Alpha's with a .01 cap, replaced the jack & 3 way with Switchcraft's.

Removed one of the volume pots (was v/v/t, now v/t) and installed a momentary kill switch in it's place.

Added a mini toggle for splitting the coils on both pups at the same time. So now it can be h/h or s/s. The guitar is really nice and bright so with the pups split it makes for some really nice chimey single coil tones.

Gary Kramer Custom:

The guitar doesn't really need any mods. All the hardware & electronics are top notch and are perfect for my needs. But I do plan on installing a D-Tuna for quick tuning from E standard to drop D. And I may install a FR brass big block. The guitar already has killer sustain and body, so I may not even bother with it.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Aug 24, 2015,
Ibanez S1520 Prestige

-Dimarzio PAF Pro in Neck and Fred in Bridge, a huge boost in tone over stock pickups

Ibanez RG620X

-Rio Grande Punchbox/Crunchbox pickup replacement for same reason as above with same results

Always looking for new mods besides pup replacements
Fender Stratocaster build.

Basics: 1990 Fender maple US EC neck, Schecter US '80s ash body and Schecter brass old style Fender bridge + brass block. Got the guitar in 1995 with homemade pickups.

1'st upgrade done back around 1997.

Since I traded the guitar in I wanted to clean up the look and some other pickups. I got a new 5 way switch as the old one was faulty and changed the pickguard to white also tone, vloume controls and pickup switch tip. The backcover was white. The pickups became: SS1 in the bridge, Duckbucker mid and Duckbucker in the neck all new Duncans. I got a chrome vibratro arm that was longer than stock early on and it fitted. The guitar did not have one. The string guide got changed to a black graphic one.

2 upgrade done around 1999:

The Duncans were exchanged for new Fender CS69 pickups as Hendrix was the main influence for the ownership of this guitar and more in the sounds I was looking for though it sounded nice enough. The saddles were none Fender and chrome so changed to gold Fender to up the quality and match the brass bridge.

3rd upgrade done in 2014 and it was a big one.

It was taken totally a apart and shielded with copper tape and 4 layers of conductive paint. New Fender pickguard (old one faded) and backcover(old was broken. New Fender tone, volume and pickup switch to stick with a brand and quality. Not sure what went on back around 2 upgrade. The controls where 500K and had been in since I got the guitar so due to highs being a bit difficult sometimes I changed back to Fender CTS 250K vintage style to match the setup with CS69 pickups.

The guitar had a push pull option installed which I did not use often so I decided to ditch that and try something else. I got a no load control on Tone 1 control and I can turn down on the bridge pickup. I also got a treble bleed installed so I can roll down the volume and still keep the highs, ad lows not just muffled sounds which is normal.

To top it of gold hardware replacing the chrome all over including screws. All Fender parts which fitted the Schecter body right on.

So that is the evolution of Blackie as the guitar is called.

That is the only guitar I have ever changed for the sake of it.
Except for pickup swaps in just about everything?
-I put a Fender Greasebucket on my P-bass copy. The tonal response seems a lot better. The lows seem lower and the highs seem higher.
-Hipshot detuner on the same bass
-Straplocks on my LTD Explorer.
-Neck swap on my Dean Z-bass (I hate the inverted V headstock)
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I usually just put Sperzel locking tuners on.

Strap locks if the stock aren't good.

Swapped the knobs to wood knobs on my spalted maple guitar.

Done a pickup swap in a cheaper guitar with shitty pickups.

Nothing major.
Oh, a single humbucker with a single volume and a coil split on my strat copy.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
There's a long list of mods for my Sumer, some of which are yet to be done as it's currently lacking electronics. But by the time it's finished:

TUSQ Nut
Stainless Steel Frets
Gotoh Locking Tuners
Blade Runner Bridge
DiMarzio Dominion (Bridge)
DiMarzio Air Norton S (Neck)
New Electronics
New Pickguard

She's underling quite a transformation!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Stillhouse
Tusq nut on each of my Epi Les Paul's and my Squier Strat. Helps tuning stability immensely.

Ebony LP got a new bridge to fix a D string that wouldn't quite intonate, and a new tailpiece to boot.

New CTS pots, Switchcraft jacks and switches and better quality caps for all three guits. 50s style wiring on the LPs. Probably doesn't make a difference in tone, but made the tone controls range more usable.

Cosmetic mods:

Gold reflector knobs on the Honeyburst, black reflectors on the Ebony. Those stock amber knobs just didn't cut it. Keystone tuner buttons on both as well. Removed the pickguard from the Honeyburst and filled in the screw holes with melted crayon to closely match the color as best I could.

I feel like I can hear the difference in how muddy the volume rolloff gets between CTS and generic brands. I really, really endorse CTS.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Fender American Standard Stratocaster (2008)

JB Jr. pickups (neck and bridge positions)
Schaller Straplocks

My other 14 electrics are stock... But I plan on doing the same mods on my 2014 American Standard Strat as on my number one above.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
^^^^ Low volume mud can be fixed with a treble bleed system (I just use a small cap) across the hot and wiper on the volume control.

I can't remember all the mods I've done, but they cover acoustics and electrics, and electronics (eg pickup swapping), cosmetics (paint), hardware (bridges, tuners) and structural (pickup cavities and pickguards). Mostly it has been about changing the tone of the instrument, and simple curiosity about different kinds of pickups. I've also done a flattop-to-reso conversion, and made lap steels and soundhole pickups.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 24, 2015,
rewiring, changing capacitors, adding a push pull knob for in/out of phase

general tonal improvements and greater flexibility. the cap brand is probably placebo effect however the value is VERY important. makes the tone knob WAY different throughout its sweep. i think its usable through out the whole spectrum and does not get low or muddy at all. moreso just rolls off some of highs when all the way down. a little towards the cocked wah type thing.

in / out of phase - trebly, bitey, differeny harmonics, also great with my tone knob cap change to get the cocked wah sound right from my guitar, TONS of classic tones have come from our of phase. its a classic "that sound" trait.

i may consider pickups to try and get better aggressive tones and different harmonics.

aside from that, my carvin is literally a perfect guitar. aside from changing the build (which i wouldnt do) theres not much to change.

if i ordered another from scratch, i may consider jumbo stainless frets instead of med-jumbo stainless. very nit picky. and i aint refretting my guitar. and its stainless....so they will last forever. so...im living with that one. i still like em though.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Out of my current three electrics, none of them are stock.

'08 Epi LP Standard:

- Changed to a Duncan JB/Jazz combo years ago.
- Ended up having to get a new pickup selector and knobs due to it falling off a double stand years ago and braking both of the replacements.
- Ended up adding in shielding and treble bleed mod on both pickups
- I was planing on maybe changing the stock tuners.

Kramer Focus 3000:

- Warmoth HSS pickguard with DiMarzio pickups, master volume/tone, and treble bleed plus shielding.
- Added in a Tremol-no to block the Floyd off when restringing.

Kramer Pacer FT-202s:

- DiMarzio Air Zone/Air Norton combo which I was going to take out and probably use for a second LP standard (which will take the place of my alternate-tuned guitar). Either way, I wanted to pilfer the pickups out and save them for another guitar.
Skip the username, call me Billy
96' Squier Strat

H/H Pickguard with Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge.
Bone nut.
Roller String Trees.

The strat started with the pickguard and pickups because I just couldn't get along with the single coils and the nut and string trees help with keeping it in tune.

Schecter Omen 7

Seymour Duncan Nazgul.
Fitted Kerly Sinister Strings 8 String Set 10-64. Not happy with the sound going to stick Ernie Ball Power Slinky's, also in two minds whether to change the Nazgul for an SD Retribution.
Gear

B.C Rich Wave Signature
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Schecter BlackJack ATX FR
Schecter Omen 7

Bugera 6262 212
Blackstar ID15 TVP
I modded a Schaller made Floyd OFR (not a Schaller branded) and put it on my MIJ 1993 Jackson King V. On the front I put stainless saddle screws, titanium saddle blocks, and stainless saddle locking screws, on the back all brass gear, brass spring claw and screws and a monster 42mm L shaped brass big block that is so big it sticks out of the back of the guitar! On yeah and some heavy duty noiseless springs and brass trem stopper (for quicker string changes) its a beast for sure!

I swap pickups on most of my guitars and 18V mod my EMGs if you want to count that I also put a TUSQ nut on my DKMGT!

I've built a few Frankenstein guitars in my day as well! putting different necks and bodies together custom wiring the electronics some were bombs some were beasts, the best was a Fender American Strat body with a donated JB Player neck (with a lawsuit Jackson copy headstock) it was black with a green HSH pickgaurd I found somewhere for cheap, I loaded a pink DiMarzio in the bridge and used some black metal speaker grill to back fill the other pickup holes, and behind the neck pickup hole I also put a laminated picture of Boris Karloff as Frankenstein one volume and one tone because luckily the plate only had two holes for pots it looked awesome and played great I wish I'd never sold it.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 3, 2017,
only have 1 modded guitar at the moment (although i've modded many over the years) and i bought it with the mods already done (saved me a fortune as i bought the guitar for standard used price)

1995 FENDER STRATOCASTER (MIM)

* Sperzel Locking Tuners

* Graphtec Saddles

* LSR Roller Nut

* new pups but i've never taken off the pickguard so not sure what they are thinking texas specials though. eventually Lace Sensors are going in.

* Steel block (again not sure which one)
i am sitting on ~23 electrics, and have owned over 60, so i don't remember much.

but, here are a two honorable mentions:

Gibson LP: i flipped the magnet in the neck pickup. it took just a few minutes and was awesome for a truly free mod. for aesthetics and rotated the pickup 180* in the neck. 500t swapped in the bridge, stock 490r still in neck.

Gibson SG: i gutted the electronics and added two EMG 81's with just one on/off switch for each pickups. i also removed the sheen on the pickgurd and drew and woodburned the body with artwork inspired by Down. i call it my "bastard SG" its a true beast.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i bought a squier affinity, olympic white with white pickguard for $40 a few years ago. Trainwreck of an instrument. Since then, i have:

--sanded the back of the neck so it's slick as a mofuka
--scalloped frets 10-22 (this took about 8 hours of work alone)
--did a full fret job included leveling and fret polish
--copper shielded the pickup cavity
--replaced the tuners with grover 18:1, helped a lot
--installed a tusq nut, helped even more
--bought a square foot of 3-ply blue tortoise shell pickguard, traced and laser-cut the pickguard and holes
--replaced shitty stock pots with 500k pots and o-drop cap
--installed Kent Armstrong Power Blade pickup in the bridge (the thing rips and screams like a possessed bitch)
--installed random Fender custom shop pickup in the middle
--installed Fender Texas Special in the neck (the thing grits out the gnarliest blues strat tones, just dirty as a thai hooker)
--wired the 5-way completely backwards so the bridge and neck positions were reversed (and honestly, i like it more like that it feels more natural to me now than a normal 5-way)
--forgot to wire a 2nd tone pot, instead wired all pickups to one tone knob (how god intended)
--relic'd a few places on the body to round out the aesthetics
--installed a MIM bridge

Total $ spent including the original guitar: $173
Being the only person alive that can play it like i can: priceless
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Aug 25, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am sitting on ~23 electrics, and have owned over 60, so i don't remember much.

but, here are a two honorable mentions:

Gibson LP: i flipped the magnet in the neck pickup. it took just a few minutes and was awesome for a truly free mod. for aesthetics and rotated the pickup 180* in the neck. 500t swapped in the bridge, stock 490r still in neck.

Gibson SG: i gutted the electronics and added two EMG 81's with just one on/off switch for each pickups. i also removed the sheen on the pickgurd and drew and woodburned the body with artwork inspired by Down. i call it my "bastard SG" its a true beast.

That's something I forgot! Both my bursty style LPs are magnet flipped as well.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That's something I forgot! Both my bursty style LPs are magnet flipped as well.

Hell yea. Free and easy to do, thats why I mentioned it. I really like the middle position better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I have a lot of cheap guitars lying around which I have done a bunch of random crap to just to see what would happen, too much stuff to list there.

Here are some of the things I have done to my more "serviceable" guitars. I should warn you in advance - these are boring and mundane things done mostly for practical reasons or to repair something. I'm not trying to give my tone a unique and individual characteristic that other people will have a hard time replicating, I'm just trying to make stuff work as well as it can for me.

1973 Gibson SG:
-Replaced the original schaller harmonica bridge which was worn to the point where it was causing all sorts of problems which were holding back the tone and playability of an otherwise excellent guitar. For the time being I got a babicz FCH bridge there - partly because I was fascinated by the way it was engineered, and partly because it was the only thing I could find which would drop in without having to replace the stock bushings. I intend on getting a replacement harmonica bridge at some point - just because that's what the guitar was meant to have.
-Witch hat knobs, because the knobs are positioned quite close together and there's a gibson brand bigsby style tailpiece on there too. the shape of the stock speed knobs made the controls feel a bit cramped, so I got witch hat knobs because of their narrower tops. I think they look better, too, tbh.
-At some point I intend to correct the ass-backwards pickup wiring which was like that when I got the guitar.

Fender Jazzmaster:
-Tried a lot of different things with the bridge and tailpiece, before settling on staytrem upgrades. These fixed all of the associated issues with this type of bridge and tailpiece.
-I also plan on cleaning the excess finish out of the neck pocket to make the neck sit in there a bit better - it's currently raised up a little on one end, like it's shimmed. Also, I'm going to replace the pickups and electronics. the pots have a crap taper and the pickups are just strat pickups with big covers on them, which is not how jazzmaster pickups should be.

Fender Stratocaster(s):
-I always, always, always rewire strats so that the middle and the neck pickup share one tone knob and the bridge pickup has the other one all to itself.. I can't work with strats with the stock wiring - it gives the bridge pickup a painfully shrill high end which doesn't balance well with the other two pickups. And taming it by turning the treble down on the amp is not the solution to this problem.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Most of the stuff I've done has been to my Les Paul, so I'll just list them:

Epi Les Paul-
Bone nut, scalloped.
Pickups selector ring off. Hate the big thing. Looks sleeker without it.
Pickguard signed by Gus G
Silver top hat reflectors
Schaller Straplocks
Flipped neck pup upside down
Currently top wrapping. I hadn't realised until writing this that the guitar is really my favoured volunteer for mods and experiments. I'd like to try some more things on it yet, 50's wiring, some new pups and sanding the neck back if I ever feel that brave.
Last edited by dragonzrmetal at Aug 27, 2015,
SCHECTER OMEN 6 (2002):

1. Planet Waves Gold Plated Input Jack
2. Reset neck angle, about a degree more.
3. Fender volume pot
4. Seymour Duncan Invader pickup (bridge)
5. Seymour Duncan '59 pickup (neck)
6. Seymour Duncan Treble Bleed mod on volume pot (by far the cheapest and coolest mod I've done. Less than 1.50 dollars to by the capacitor and resistor at any electronics store, and less than 10 minutes to install)
7. Straplocks
8. Swapped capacitor on tone pot, still playing with different ones.
9. Used Scotch-Brite to remove the finish on the neck. hands move quicker now.
Last edited by juliojusti at Aug 31, 2015,
This goes against the rules a bit, but I feel this thread has enough potential to warrant bumping.

It's been 2 years since this thread was bumped and lots of people have done mods to guitars and amp since then I'm sure. I know I have.

Since this thread was made, I've massively modded my 6505+112.

. On the lead channel, I've replaced components in the preamp, input and tone stack circuit to replicate that of a Soldano SLO.
. I've changed the bias resistors to make the power tubes run hotter.
. I've improved the transparency of the effects loop by adding a simple capacitor to the loop buffer
. I've replaced a load of pots to different values so the EQ controls of he amp operate in ranges that lend themselves better to the tonal differences of the other mods.
. I've extensively modded the amp's clean channel to give it more headroom and a ton more warmth by modding in a way reminiscent of a Fender Bassman.
. I've replaced V1 and V5 with 5751's to increase low end clarity and give the clean channel additional headroom. This slightly lowers the gain of the lead channel too, but on an amp like a 6505+, that isn't any loss. I still have more gain than I need. All the other tubes are 12AX7's and 6L6GC's. All of them are JJ's.

I've also done a full head conversion with a homemade plywood head case and tolex. I've made use of the LED logo to backlight the power tubes with purple LED's.

However, since I got my 5153, that amp has been gathering dust.

As for guitars, I've calmed down a bit. I've added some CTS push-pull pots to my FGN so the pickups can be individually coil split, but that's about it.

I also built a modded muff fuzz from a kit, but I'm not sure if that really counts since the pedal was required to be built to begin with.

Your turn.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I mod gear at the same rate I buy amps...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

T00DEEPBLUE 

Since we're talkng about amps....

My amp mods haven't been anywhere near as ambitious as yours, but I did finally put a new speaker, a Jensen C8R, in my already-highly-modded Epi VJ. It doesn't sound anywhere near as warm and cuddly as it did, which is what I wanted to achieve. I also took my H&K around to my amp tech mate Terry for a lesson in biasing. This model has external bias probe points and trim pots, and he showed me the "no-hum" method. He was also kind enough to give me a good set of El84s, and it sounds great now.

This might interest some of you:

The steel height screws were acting as a pickup poles and making the 2nd and 3rd string too loud, so I pulled the 2nd and 3rd string pole screws and replaced them with some little plastic caps. It works fine now. The guitar is my Oz$60 Peavey Raptor Plus Exp. It started out very good, but I couldn't resist doing a whole series of mods on it. - headstock shape, new pickguard, pickups, controls. I got the tone and volume pots the wrong way around, I blame that on senility.
It's interesting to go back to an old thread like this:

I did correct that ass-backwards wiring on my Gibson SG - shortly after posting in this thread. If I remember correctly, the reason I was going to do it was because I'd played a gig with no pedals, so I was using the volume and tone knobs a lot... and I got in a bit of a muddle with it, because the pickups were wired to the wrong volume pots, and the switch was upside down. It functions like it's supposed to now.

The Jazzmaster has been left the way it was when I made my last post, however - Turns out, as it is, it sounds perfect for a band I had joined a few months before then, and has been my #1 for that band ever since. I also decided against doing anything about the neck pocket - if it ain't broke, don't fix it - besides, a professional producer advised me not to adjust anything because he said the intonation was more accurate than any other guitar he'd ever heard and I think there's a possibility that altering the neck angle could change the way different notes relate to each other - it's all so clean and immaculate, like a perfectly tuned piano.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Mods:

Squier Bullet: GFS Crunchy PAT in bridge
Washburn RX-10: Crunch PAT in bridge, Neck/Middle from GFS single coil set 

Those were basically, "eh, what the hell" and have worked. I do need the check my wiring on the RX10 just because it is really noisy, and I'm assuming user error. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I've only dabbled a bit in mods, but I do have a few. I have a Schecter C-7 that the previous owner had put Dimarzio D-Activators in, and I replaced those with Duncan Black Winters for a little different flavor. Also replaced the stock pickups in an Epi G-400 with Duncan Antiquities. 

Have a parts Tele with a Squier neck that had no-name pickups in, I replaced those with a Dimarzio Twang King bridge and a Creamery Tele-90 neck. Currently need to do more surgery on that one; the previous owner had made a real rat's nest of the wiring, it gave me fits trying to get it functional when I did the pickup swap, and I started to try my hand at a from-scratch rewire but mucked it up somewhere and it's been sidelined while I've been busy. 

I changed hardware on another guitar for aesthetic reasons and I've done speaker swaps on my Vox and an extension cab I bought for it, but I don't count those because it's literally just loosening screws and then tightening them again.

Never changed a nut or anything like that, although I'd like to learn how; might have to pick up a $30 pawn-shop special to practice more substantial repairs/mods on, rather than risk screwing up one of my mains. (And look I know you have to screw up a nut installation pretty badly to cause irreversible damage but I have anxiety and I'm naturally clumsy so I will definitely feel better having practiced.)
Quote by dannyalcatraz

I had to really think about this. Upon further review, I have modded something since this thread was created: I put a trio of Bareknuckle Stockholm P90s in my Fret-King Esprit III last October.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

so do i. but I also have 21 amps.....
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Here are my mods.

Gibson v
Replaced nut with a tusq xl
Stock pickups changed for Emg Het set
Tuners replaced with locking sperzels
Bridge replaced with graphtech bridge
Schaller straplocks

E-II Horizon
Just swapped the bridge pickup to a Duncan custom shop pickup.

Esp eclipse II
Bridge pick up swapped for a SD black winter
Straplocks

Esp M-II deluxe
Stock esp pickups swapped for Emg 81/sa
Gotoh locking tuners
Potentially switching Emg pups for blackouts
Dunlop straplocks
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
I put new pickups and a longer Bigsby spring on my '62RI Tele

To be fair, I also put straplocks on that and flooded both those and the bridge with Loctite. That counts right?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I tend to mod every guitar (or build it from parts). I refuse to conform to what is given to me. I can usually spot one that would be a great candidate for modding: good balance, light weight, ergonomic design. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Page 1 of 3