Hey UG,

I've been saving up some money since I'm moving in a few weeks and I'd like to have an electric guitar at my new place as well. I've saved up for about 400 euros for now and at the moment I've got my eye on a Epiphone Les Paul standard. I'd love to hear your experiences with it (for the owners of people who've played one before), and also if you have any similar suggestions for in that price range. Also considering buying a used guitar, but since I've never done it before I'd like to get some advice on what to look (out) for.

Regards,
Tim
The black Epi LP Standards are gorgeous. I've heard they are really good players as well.
Well I can tell you that the Epi Les Paul Standard is a pretty solid guitar - I've played a couple and enjoyed them and I tend to think Epiphones at that price range are good for the money; if you can go used I'd say look for a higher-end Epi model (I know the Tribute Plus is probably their best-regarded Les Paul but I'm not sure about prices).

I'm sure there are various other brands that produce good stuff for that kind of money, but I can't really think of any other Les Paul copies at that price point (anyone know how much Burnys sell for used?), so hopefully someone can add their recommendations.

Also, if you could say what country you're in and what kind of music you want to play, that'd help.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 24, 2015,
Thanks for the quick replies! I agree with TobusRex completely, I especially adore the look of more sunburst like epi's.

I'm looking at marktplaats (e-bay, but then for the Netherlands) and I can find some decently priced LP Standard's but the Tribute you suggest is hardly purchasable anywhere here (besides new for around 700 euros which is too much for me).
The LP Standard is a solid choice. Really good value. The stock Epiphone pickups are a bit lacking, but realistically you're not going to get fantastic pickups in a guitar that's 400 euros. For what it is, it's still a great guitar.

If you choose to go used, you'll have a lot more options. What can you find used at that price?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 24, 2015,
Epi LP standard is a good choice as others have said.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The LP Standard is a solid choice. Really good value. The stock Epiphone pickups are a bit lacking, but realistically you're not going to get fantastic pickups in a guitar that's 400 euros. For what it is, it's still a great guitar.

If you choose to go used, you'll have a lot more options. What can you find used at that price?

I've found this pearlescent epiphone LP standard for 550 euros
http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/NzI2WDU0NQ==/z/mv4AAOSwjVVViuWr/$_85.JPG

I think it looks AMAZING, but how come it is about 200 euros more than the "regular ones"?

This one for 400 euros
http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/MTAyNFg1NzY=/z/QkoAAOSwP***02X6/$_85.JPG

For 360 with gigbag (which I honestly dont really care for):
http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/MTAyNFg2ODI=/z/9VAAAOSwT6pV1iml/$_85.JPG

And last but not least for 590:
http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/MTAyNFg2ODI=/z/8eEAAOSwMmBV1ikI/$_85.JPG
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Im willing to replace them if it makes a noticeable difference, are there any humbug pickups in the range of 100-200 euros that you think are better than the default ones?
I've had my Epi LP standard since 2002.

It did need rewired about 6-7 years ago, and I swapped out the pickups 3 or 4 years ago, for (I think) a set of Iron Gear Hot Slags(they're like £25 each). Happy enough with them that I'm considering swapping out the Burstbuckers on my 60's Tribute LP for... well, maybe not the hot slags, but I'd certainly look at Iron Gear again to replace them.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by timwing at #33565521
I've found this pearlescent epiphone LP standard for 550 euros
http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/NzI2WDU0NQ==/z/mv4AAOSwjVVViuWr/$_85.JPG

I think it looks AMAZING, but how come it is about 200 euros more than the "regular ones"?

An Epiphone LP Studio (it looks a lot more like a Studio than a Standard) for 550 Euros is crazy expensive.

It could be because it's one of the older Korean Epiphones (although I might be wrong). A lot of owners think the Korean-made Epiphones are better than the newer Chinese ones because the connotation that Korean-made guitars generally have these days. And so they demand an extortionate amount more money.

But I completely disagree. The newer Chinese-made Epiphones are far more consistently made than the older Korean ones ever were. They might also be demanding a larger amount of money on the grounds that the guitar comes in a limited edition finish. Which doesn't mean that the guitar is any better. It just means the guitar comes in a finish that's less common.

Another possibility is that the guitar could also be modded, and hence the seller is demanding a higher price. But doing mods to any guitar never increases its value. Doing irreversible modifications actually devalues it. But it's impossible to know for sure from just a picture.

Are these other guitars all Epiphones? Because their asking prices are absurd. No used Epiphone SG is worth nearly 600 euros. Unless it's a Japanese-made Elitist.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 24, 2015,
Look out for an Epi Plustop Pro. I have both a Standard and Plustop and really like the sound of its ProBuckers versus the Alnico Classics in the Standard. And you get a nice flame top too.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by timwing
Thanks for the quick replies! I agree with TobusRex completely, I especially adore the look of more sunburst like epi's.

I'm looking at marktplaats (e-bay, but then for the Netherlands) and I can find some decently priced LP Standard's but the Tribute you suggest is hardly purchasable anywhere here (besides new for around 700 euros which is too much for me).

There are (like new) ones out for just 100€ (the price of a hardcase) more,
Gibson Pickups, long neck tenon, real hard maple cap and better electronics included
AFAIK this shop ships to the Netherlands

http://www.musicworldbrilon.de/catalogsearch/result/?q=Epiphone+Les+Paul+Tribute+Plus+RETOURE&queryFromSuggest=true&userInput=Epiphone+Tribute

They sell on eBay, too

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-RETOURE-Vintage-Sunburst-/311395884712?hash=item4880a41ea8
I have a 2013 Pelham Blue Epi LP Standard and it's still one of my very favorite guitars. I swapped out the stock pickups for Duncan SD-1's in both the neck and bridge and added coil splitting with push-pull pots. Feels great to play and I think the color is gorgeous. Oddly, the same model in Pelham Blue was $300 while black or red was $400. If you like the feel and sound, these are definitely solid guitars.
Godin is a Canadian company that makes a good axe, and they have made several LP clones over the years. But their availability overseas is mixed.

The Radiators, Empires, Cores, xtSA, LGXT, Icons, etc. are newer exemplars, and except for the Radiators & Empires, you're unlikely to find a used one or a real deal.

The LG (HH or 2xP90), SD (HSS) and Triumph (SSS), OTOH, are all discontinued, and can often be found online for under $400 in the USA. If any made it across the sea, they're worth a look.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 28, 2015,
A lot of the sellers on Marktplaats are actually stores selling the items new, which could mean why the prices are so high.

You should be able to buy a used Epiphone Les Paul for 250-300 euro's, which would depend on the finish and wether or not any extra's are included.

I'm sure there are groups on Facebook for selling gear as well where you could find a nice deal. I don't know any specifically for The Netherlands, but I'm sure there are some.

As for buying used: bring someone who knows their stuff along for the ride. A genuine seller won't have a problem with you bringing someone along anyway.
Epi LPs are so boring though, they are like THE standard of "average guitar." There's nothing really that stands out about them, they are the most average guitar at an average price that sound and play average and look equally average. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a boring piece of kit.

Try looking around at other companies that offer their own versions of an LP for a better guitar with more kit for as much or less money. Cort Z-44, Agile AL3000, Godin LG, etc. There are tons of choices out there and many of them are better equipped than a standard Epi LP for less money.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠ at #33571945

Try looking around at other companies that offer their own versions of an LP for a better guitar with more kit for as much or less money. Cort Z-44, Agile AL3000, Godin LG, etc. There are tons of choices out there and many of them are better equipped than a standard Epi LP for less money.

TS is European. Agile is not a viable option.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee