I was quite impressed with the little bit I heard when I play tested it. The issue was that the internal fuse was blown, which is kind of common for these amps from what I read. I replaced it and then turned it on and tried it out. I think the presets the chap had that I used were modeling a Dual Rec "Rec" and a Fender Twin "Twin". Really great sounds imo from a solid state modeler. Although I didn't really get to dig into it. Of course with the fuses blowing in amps I'd say their build quality isn't too great so I guess that was a compromise...?

I did think it was kind of quiet, although again I didn't get a chance to mess with it much. But I tried bumping the master up, wasn't 75W loud I don't think. Fuse work wouldn't mess with volume would it?

I could see why the Tube 60 is often suggested in GG&A for lower-budget metal amps. Who here is using the earlier model Vypyrs often? I can see myself getting the Tube 60 for home use. How do the new VIP amps compare to the older models?
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 24, 2015,
I have an older Vypyr 30 head (maybe it's the only one they ever made, I don't know). It is a great practice amp, and could do a gig in a pinch. I have a 1 X 12 cab I made from my 6505+ 112 after converting it to a head, and have also run it through my 412 cab loaded with Eminences. Obviously, the sound is quite a bit better with the big cab.

Anyway, I've played a handful of the VIP series Vypyrs and didn't notice a huge difference in sound. Again, playing it through my 412 makes it sound better than most little combos. Regrettably, I haven't tried the Vypyr Tube 60; I think it is probably the best in the series.

Ultimately, I don't use mine all that often. As a primarily high-gain player, it doesn't compare to my real 6505+. At no volume level does it sound better than the real thing, contrary to what a lot of people say about them. With the Vypyr, I feel that the 6505, Rec, and Diezel models are the best for high-gain. But there's a certain point in volume where you just can't get any more "oomph" or "thump" and it turning the volume up further just increases treble and upper mids. With my real 6505+, it's just getting warmed up at that level and the thump and ferocity just keep increasing from there. The overall tone is richer throughout the volume range as well.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Sounds to me like the power transistors are failing in it, man. Loss of volume and blowing fuses is a symptom of that - just like it is with power tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Sounds to me like the power transistors are failing in it, man. Loss of volume and blowing fuses is a symptom of that - just like it is with power tubes.
Hmm, neat. I also pondered in this thread from a while back. http://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22515 I told the chap to call me if he had any issues and I haven't heard anything, so either he hasn't picked it up or he's happy. c:
Power transistors do wear out. There's no such thing as an infallible component in anything. Check that regulator, it may be what caused the power trannies to fail.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the new VIP series has a couple of new models but is essentially the same as the older series. the one feature it does have is the ability to work with bass and acoustic guitars as well.