Do you have any experience with the mid/higher end S. Korea Schecter guitars?

I have been looking for a 7 string guitar with a sustainer, a passive pickup in the bridge, and a floyd rose for quite a while and it seems Schecter is the only company building anything like this....up until recently, I was looking at the C7 FR-S, but it comes with an EMG pickup and I do not want the active pickup...so I would basically have to buy a new pickup right after purchasing the $1200 guitar.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/vault/listing/a-7-fr-s-detail

I saw this one online and it is apparently a one store only model. It is a 7 string, has a floyd, sustainer, and passive pickups. The color is a little strange, but whatever. They cost about $1100 and don't come with a case....this is basically the same price as a USA Fender (fewer options on the Fender) and the Fenders come with an SKB hard shell case.

This looks like an Avenger model, so I'm assuming it is largely the same as the Avenged Sevenfold model and anything else from this line....are these pretty good? Also, it has a 1000 series floyd and the internet saws that the S. Korea floyd model is not as good. Is this true?
Well I can tell you the 1000 series floyds for 6 strings are fantastic. I use one on my Jackson RRMG and it holds tuning just fine. (It has a problem with the G-String right now but I assume it's nothing major.)
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
The 1000 Floyds are fine.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
North Korean ones are better value, higher quality and made by happier workers.

Oh, wait.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by bigblockelectra
Also, it has a 1000 series floyd and the internet saws that the S. Korea floyd model is not as good. Is this true?

Yes. It's decent/usable, but it's noticeably not quite as nice as the Schaller-made version (or a Gotoh etc.).

http://dellus.net/updates/original-floyd-rose-german-vs-korean/

EDIT: That colour's pretty nice, it's more or less one of those aquaburst type finishes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 24, 2015,
Ok, what about the guitar? Seem a little on the high side for price for foreign made...USA Schecters are quite a bit more than this too. I understand it has a $300 for the sustainer and probably another $80-$100 for the nazgul, basically adding those to the cost of the instrument. I like the ebony fretboard etc. Never played a compound radius, but I can adapt. I like the ultra access neck joint as well....that seems to be a missing feature from many guitars.
I have never played one of those. I always thought they look kind-of like mockingbirds.

Anyway; I have an omen 6 and it was my main player for a couple years. She's seen better days, but I really can't complain. The only thing though is that those star straplocks cut my hands and tore my bed sheets so bad, plus they're a pain to put a strap on.
Another thing is that the tuners suck, but that is a cheaper S. Korea model at that.
Last note is that the screws are slightly stripped. Not that bad, but I blame myself for forcing divebombs with my lack of Floyd Rose at the time.
Now for the Floyd 1000, I have it on my mockingbird and it holds tune real well. It doesn't suck much tone, but I'd suggest a brass block. It doesn't cut my hand either.
Beautiful guitar, though. With the features, the seventh string, unique body shape, and the beautiful finish, it'd sure stand out on stage. \\m//
I own three Korean Schecters, including one with a Floyd 1000. They are as top quality as you can expect from any company making instruments is Asia. Which is actually really good, despite what some elitists might say.

As for that particular model, the only thing it has in common with the Sysyster Gates model is the shape. And the sustainer, I suppose. And that shape actually isn't originally an Avenged Sevenfold thing. They first introduced it in the 90s, and that dude from White Zombie used one for a while.

But anyway, that model is about as high end as it gets from Schecter, without going USA made. It is pretty expensive for an import, but a lot of that cost is in the extras. The floyd and the sustainer. And the fact that it's a limited edition. Seriously though, that thing is sweet. If they haven't sold all of those by the next time I have a thousand bucks sittin around, I might have to get one. But I just bought one of their other limited editions. Which is sweet. If you're not 100% certain about the wild shape and color, they have some other, less gaudy 7 string options with Floyds and sustainers. And other ones wouldn't be store exclusive models, so you could shop around and probably get a better price on one. this one is freaking awesome, but is probably the only diamond series Schecter model even more expensive than that Avenger, due to also being neck-thru, along with the sustainer, and a Floyd 1500, which is actually a higher end model than the 1000.

I dunno. I really love my Schecters, and I think the brand gets a lot of undeserved bad rep. I'd say go for it if you like the look and style of that guitar. They've got a great return policy and warranty in case it's not what you wanted, or there's something wrong with it. Or, shop around and see if you can find anything you can try before buying. Usually the best policy.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by bigblockelectra
Ok, what about the guitar? Seem a little on the high side for price for foreign made...USA Schecters are quite a bit more than this too. I understand it has a $300 for the sustainer and probably another $80-$100 for the nazgul, basically adding those to the cost of the instrument. I like the ebony fretboard etc. Never played a compound radius, but I can adapt. I like the ultra access neck joint as well....that seems to be a missing feature from many guitars.

You won't have to "adapt" to the compound radius fretboard. In fact, you'll probably forget it's there. In practice, it feels like a slightly more comfortable 12" radius with a bit easier bending in the upper frets.

You're going to see a lot more Korean (and Chinese) guitars moving up the price scale over the next few years; those countries are moving out of the "cheap low end goods supplier" status and moving upscale.

Most folks' first reaction is that the sustainer is a gadget. I've got several on my guitars now, and it's become an integral part of some songs. Take the time to see what it can do.
I'm a bit surprised that it's on that guitar; I really haven't seen a seven-string version of the Sustainiac driver yet. I wonder if they're just using the six-string width version...
Quote by VanhalenVai

Now for the Floyd 1000, I have it on my mockingbird and it holds tune real well. It doesn't suck much tone, but I'd suggest a brass block.

it should already have a brass block, no? granted, those aftermarket ones are normally a bit bigger.

Quote by the_bi99man
and a Floyd 1500, which is actually a higher end model than the 1000.

what's the floyd 1500? i haven't come across them yet and they're not on the floyd site.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by the_bi99man
they have some other, less gaudy 7 string options with Floyds and sustainers. And other ones wouldn't be store exclusive models, so you could shop around and probably get a better price on one. this one is freaking awesome, but is probably the only diamond series Schecter model even more expensive than that Avenger, due to also being neck-thru, along with the sustainer, and a Floyd 1500, which is actually a higher end model than the 1000.

The only other 7 string, passive pickup, FR and sustainer that I saw was that banshee elite and the fact that they offer no color choices means I don't really like it. They also have the C7, but those come with EMG pickups and I want passive.

I am aware of no other companies building to this spec.
I have a 99' C7+ and a Revenger 7. They work fine. The Revenger is well, a used cheapie but it has it's own tone and serves as a back up for the C7+.

My C7+ is pretty solid and I've giged with it never had any trouble other then when I broke off the pu selector knob. Schecter sent me a new one fast and free ( I knew somebody who worked there). The fret board inlay seems to have epoxy that oozes out very slowly so once a year I scrap it off.

The Revenger 7 is basically an Avenger 7. All black it looks like something to take to a viking pillage run. It works well, no complaints. Bolt on neck and weights a ton. It's currently waiting to be my homebuilt pickup test mule. Still have the sticker on it that says "set up to play in the usa"
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 25, 2015,
Quote by bigblockelectra
The only other 7 string, passive pickup, FR and sustainer that I saw was that banshee elite and the fact that they offer no color choices means I don't really like it. They also have the C7, but those come with EMG pickups and I want passive.

Nothing remarkable about the spec other than the addition of the Sustainer, which can be added to almost any guitar. Everything else is pretty baseline.

One of the reasons that I elect to add sustainers after the fact is that the standard Sustainer installation doesn't suit.

One, the location of the pair of Sustainer switches, while adequate on this guitar, is determined by the location and size of the control cavity. Mine are relocated behind the Floyd. This required an additional rout, and I much prefer their location.

Two, I like having a bit more control of the Sustainer. There are three adjustment pots on the circuit board of the Sustainer I use. One of them, Sustainer Intensity, gets run out to an external control pot (looks like any of the others on guitar that are mounted in the control cavity). I can control Intensity on the fly.

Three, on the guitar illustrated, the Sustainer driver is also the neck pickup when the Sustainer is not being used (Sustainers operate off the bridge pickup only when in use). In my installation, the single-coil size sustainer driver is used and shares a pickup ring with a single-coil-size humbucker. In my guitar, this is an 18K+ diMarzio Fast Track II that's a LOT louder than my bridge pickup, and that offers a lot more clarity to the bottom end than a standard width humbucker does. More importantly, this kind of installation allows me the use of whatever single-coil-size humbucker I like.

I can't see the back of the guitar -- is there a box for the 9V for the Sustainer back there? <Edit -- just looked at the link. There is.> A Sustainer runs through batteries at a pretty good clip, so having the ability to switch quickly can be important. My guitars already have a battery in the control cavity for an active,sweepable mids boost that really doesn't chew through batteries, and there's little room in there for a second. So there's a rout on the back for the Sustainer battery.

There's also this -- installation of a Sustainer on an existing guitar allows me a LOT more leeway in guitar choice, including construction (neck-through?), scale, body shape, woods, etc.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 25, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's the floyd 1500? i haven't come across them yet and they're not on the floyd site.

The FR1500 is exclusive to Schecter. It's stainless steel from what I understand, and the trem bar is push-in rather than screw in. They're still pretty new, and not on all the models yet, so not many have been reviewed.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
Quote by dspellman
Nothing remarkable about the spec other than the addition of the Sustainer, which can be added to almost any guitar. Everything else is pretty baseline.

That's right, but in terms of as-is guitars, there is this model above, and the banshee elite 7 FR-S. I have seen nothing else.

What model sustainer do you have?

Ideally, I would have a 7 string strat-type guitar with a FR and a sustainer. If you have a single coil sized sustainer, can it sit next to a single coil pickup and function properly?

I wouldn't mind having an HSH style guitar but put a single coil pickup and a single coil sized sustain driver in the neck humbucker trim ring, if they both fit.
Quote by bigblockelectra
That's right, but in terms of as-is guitars, there is this model above, and the banshee elite 7 FR-S. I have seen nothing else.

What model sustainer do you have?

Ideally, I would have a 7 string strat-type guitar with a FR and a sustainer. If you have a single coil sized sustainer, can it sit next to a single coil pickup and function properly?

I wouldn't mind having an HSH style guitar but put a single coil pickup and a single coil sized sustain driver in the neck humbucker trim ring, if they both fit.

This is the Fernandes single-coil driver (the Sustainiac can also be used) occupying the neck pickup ring with the Fast Track II. Installation requires some finesse to keep it from being a squealing mess, but there's a tech who does this in his sleep.

My sustainer is the Fernandes, which is functionally very close to the Sustainiac version. It has a solid PCB with the pair of switches mounted in place. The Sustainiac's board is flexible with remote switches, and more designed to be used in an existing control cavity.

On this particular guitar, the switches are mounted behind the Floyd. The Master Volume is directly below the bridge/bridge pickup, the master tone to the left of that, and the black button to the left of that is a Buckethead-style kill switch. Between (and below) the MV and MT, is the active sweepable mids boost (16 dB) on a push-pull, and to the left of that is the Sustainer Intensity pot.

The FR in the photo has been replaced with a Schaller unit since this photo was taken.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
North Korean ones are better value, higher quality and made by happier workers.

Oh, wait.

I heard the inlays are made from unicorn horn hunted by Dear Leader.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
I own one of these guitars. Snagged it from reverb for $500 or somewhere thereabouts. (It was gnarly b-stock.) I owned the six string version of this one too. I sold it to pay for the 7 string version. Both guitars, the 6 and 7, are great guitars. This particular guitar we're talking about is my favorite guitar I currently own. The sustainer is slick, but it doubles as a nice pickup too. The floyd works wonders, as I've only ever had to tune it, stretch the strings, clamp it down and forget about it. The fact that it has glow in the dark side dots is a nice touch too.

I feel with the quality of the two I've owned that it justifies the price tag.
I have a couple Schaller made OFRs and a couple of the Korean Floyd 1000s, I've never really put them side by side to visually scrutinize the difference but performance and stability wise I have not really detected a noticeable difference, I'm sure the build quality is higher on the Schaller models but the MIK perform just fine. The only difference I've really noticed is with the OFR that I upgraded with stainless screws, titanium saddle blocks, and brass spring claw an big block but if smokes all of my trems even the stock German one

The Floyd 1000 series is definitely better than 90% of the licensed copies out there not including the high end Ibanez Edge models.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Aug 25, 2015,
Quote by bigblockelectra

Yeah, you should definitely just get whatever 7 string with a trem that you like, and get the sustainer installed after the fact.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Do you dislike the shape of the Avenger? What about the color? As a non-fan of A7X I really like the avenger, especially in this color.

Qualitywise, it's a damn fine guitar as I said. It's really a matter if you like/dislike the color/shape, and if you think it's worth having a sustainer installed into another guitar, which can be pretty expensive.
Quote by bigblockelectra
I'm assuming you are not sure what the tech did to keep the electrical problems at bay then?

No, I know exactly what was done.
Quote by ThePIGI_King
The FR1500 is exclusive to Schecter. It's stainless steel from what I understand, and the trem bar is push-in rather than screw in. They're still pretty new, and not on all the models yet, so not many have been reviewed.

thanks

Quote by Evilnine

The Floyd 1000 series is definitely better than 90% of the licensed copies out there not including the high end Ibanez Edge models.

Yeah- given the free choice, I'd rather have a Schaller-made OFR, Schaller (or Schaller Lockmeister), Gotoh or one of the Gotoh-made trems for other companies (e.g some of the Ibanez trems like the original Edge), especially on a dearer guitar where cost-cutting shouldn't really be going on and you really shouldn't have to budget for a possible trem swap down the line, but the FRT-x000 is a lot better than what used to pass for licensed trems on cheaper guitars. It's definitely usable, it's just not quite as nice as the really high-end ones. It's also (supposedly, I haven't tried the swap myself) a direct swap for a Schaller-made OFR as well (which is another advantage it has over a lot of the older, cheaper licensed copies which weren't always a direct swap).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 26, 2015,
I have an Avenger FR-S, the six-string version of that guitar.

It is the shit. You won't be sorry.
Quote by Dave_Mc
It's also (supposedly, I haven't tried the swap myself) a direct swap for a Schaller-made OFR as well (which is another advantage it has over a lot of the older, cheaper licensed copies which weren't always a direct swap).

It is. The Floyd 1000 is the exact same dimensions and design as the OFR, just made with cheaper material and not in Germany.
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
I've got a Synyster Special FR (Signature w/o pinstripes and name on frets) & I love it. I put some ZW sig EMGs in it. No complaints about the FR 1000 and gives me no problems at all. Concerning Korean made guitars, I think they're awesome. That being said, sadly I've never played a USA or MIJ guitar, so Korean is best I've ever had the luxury of playing. Have nothing bad to say about them none the less.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
If they're made in either Cor-Tek factory (Indonesia or Korea) they generally tend to be CNC bodies and leave PLEK'd, which is really cool.

They've since fixed their management issues that was staining their image after pressure from guitar company CEOs.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by the_bi99man
It is. The Floyd 1000 is the exact same dimensions and design as the OFR, just made with cheaper material and not in Germany.

Thanks. I emailed floyd rose a good while back and they told me it was a direct swap, but I always want to point out I haven't tried it myself. I've been told too many times that something was a direct swap, only to find out later that it wasn't, that I'm wary of what people say.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?