I'm planning on buying a Engl Powerball 2 and I found at guitar center a used Engl 4x12 ss cab for around $499. The condition said "FAIR" and I'm assuming it's so cheap because someone spraypainted on the back of it. Is this a good deal? I heard they are slightly mid scooped but will that really matter in the long run? I want tight, clear, heavy low end for extended range guitars and I know engl is good at that. If I use the mid boost on the Powerball2 will that counteract it a bit? The pro cabs I hear are pretty similar.
What speakers are in the cab? Usually the engl cabs have v30s and they arent mid scooped. Its some of their heads that many consider to be mid-scooped, but it depends how you eq and use them. If its v30s, i would get it
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

which cab is it? there are different engl cabs with different speakers. the v30 (dearer) one shouldn't be scooped, as watterboy said. but there's a cheaper model with v60s which might be more scooped. I'm guessing it's the cheaper one but i could be wrong.

(there's also one with greenbacks but I'm guessing it's rarer.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by King Elijah
I'm planning on buying a Engl Powerball 2 and I found at guitar center a used Engl 4x12 ss cab for around $499. The condition said "FAIR" and I'm assuming it's so cheap because someone spraypainted on the back of it. Is this a good deal?

4x12s are pretty much identical in spec (unless you find some that have MDF as part of the material). It's the speakers that matter, and you should expect to pay $200-300 for a very good 4x12 with V30's onboard in the SoCal area.

You will pay more for that logo on the front, but understand THAT'S what you're buying, nothing sonic. Wot is an "ss" cab?
^ "Standard Slanted", I think. If so, it has the V60 speakers. $499 sounds expensive for the non-pro (i.e. non-V30 version). I dare say there are better USA-made cabs available for less money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ "Standard Slanted", I think. If so, it has the V60 speakers. $499 sounds expensive for the non-pro (i.e. non-V30 version). I dare say there are better USA-made cabs available for less money.

Yea thats Engl for ya. I love their products but the prices are rough. The standard slant with v60s sells brand new for like $1000; so all things considered, $400 is a good deal for THAT cab. However, as Dave suggested, there are much more affordable options that are better suited for metal, if you can deal with not having ENGL on your cab.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Too expensive for what you get. A used Mesa, Marshall MF280 and Orange PPC412 are typically available for <$450 (maybe not the orange so much). Or you can go the custom route with www.avatarspeakers.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah it's the standard slanted. I have actually been looking at aftershock cabinets as well, but I don't know enough about speakers atm for their customization options
^ yeah speakers are a bit like pickups, it's very hard to get to try anything outside the couple of really common ones, in the end unless you get really lucky you often just have to bite the bullet and buy something and see if it works for you (after doing some research to check that it should be suitable for the tones you want).

I haven't tried the powerball 2 but v30s normally work pretty well with Engls. Or maybe V30s combined with Classic Leads for a bit less midrange. (G12K100s might work too combined with V30s but I haven't tried them.)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
One thing to be said about Engl cabs is that they're HEAVY. Compared to your typical Marshall 1960A that's listed as weighing 36 kg, the Engl one typically weighs 50 kg for the standard ones and 63 kg for the extra sturdy one. Worth thinking of if you carry your own gear...

This is why they're so expensive, by the way. They're built like tanks, so you get what you pay for.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Aug 26, 2015,