Hi I'm Peter and new to this, I have a problem and hope someone can help me.
I have an Epiphone SG goth which i play through an Hotone Nano Purple Wind and an Orange PPC 108,no issue there as they sound really good, then i decided to add pedals : NUX hg-6, Behringer CS400, Behringer UW300 and that's when the trouble started, the distortion pedal is not really loud, i need to crank up the amp but it does make a lot of noise, and the behringers are average, any advice on how i can fix my sound?
Quote by petermasuri
Hi I'm Peter and new to this, I have a problem and hope someone can help me.
I have an Epiphone SG goth which i play through an Hotone Nano Purple Wind and an Orange PPC 108,no issue there as they sound really good, then i decided to add pedals : NUX hg-6, Behringer CS400, Behringer UW300 and that's when the trouble started, the distortion pedal is not really loud, i need to crank up the amp but it does make a lot of noise, and the behringers are average, any advice on how i can fix my sound?

One of the pedals, maybe the behringers, need to have the level turned up, or the mix turned down.

Some mixes/effects will reduce volume because they blend it with the effect. Tends to happen with digital pedals.

Remove the pedal 1 by one then move the knobs to see which effect is sucking tone.

As for the noise, what pedal power are you using?
Last edited by sfx at Aug 25, 2015,
i use a generic 9volt power supply with a 3way daisy chain but i have ordered a Caline CP-05
I have several compressor pedals including the Behringer CS400. I like it and have no noise issues or problems. I use it for subtle compression but if you have it set high looking for lots of sustain or the threshold and attack set wrong it will drop your volume some (the nature of any compressor set to extreme levels). That's just a thought. Try using the compressor by itself not going through anything else and see if that alone causes your volume drop. It also depends where in the chain you have the pedals arranged.

It might just be your power supply after all. I had a really noisy generic power supply. A One Spot solved that issue. Now I use an isolated power supply but the One Spot is a great alternative.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
I have several compressor pedals including the Behringer CS400. I like it and have no noise issues or problems. I use it for subtle compression but if you have it set high looking for lots of sustain or the threshold and attack set wrong it will drop your volume some (the nature of any compressor set to extreme levels). That's just a thought. Try using the compressor by itself not going through anything else and see if that alone causes your volume drop. It also depends where in the chain you have the pedals arranged.

It might just be your power supply after all. I had a really noisy generic power supply. A One Spot solved that issue. Now I use an isolated power supply but the One Spot is a great alternative.

That's a good point.

If it's the compressor it would probably be that the threshold's too low and/or sustain/release too long.
On a related note: How do you like that Purple Wind? I was thinking about grabbing one of the Hotones (or more than one) for some fooling around and maybe a different sound or two.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Thanks that helps, yes i think i had it too high, still not too happy with the distortion pedal though, now it sounds muddy
I will give it a try, but i got the feeling that the power supply is the culprit, it sounds better on battery mode
Quote by ryanbwags
On a related note: How do you like that Purple Wind? I was thinking about grabbing one of the Hotones (or more than one) for some fooling around and maybe a different sound or two.

The Purple Wind is awesome, through my Orange cab sounds just like a Plexi, it has a great sound for a tiny amp
Quote by petermasuri
The Purple Wind is awesome, through my Orange cab sounds just like a Plexi, it has a great sound for a tiny amp

I have one too, with a Kustom defender 12 cabinet. Sounds awesome when all knobs are up.
Compressors can be your best friend or your worst enemy. They are probably the most misunderstood pedal and the most difficult to understand. Things like attack, threshold, release, ratio and all the other controls interact with each other and can really mess up you signal if you don't get them set correctly. The industry as a whole are not helpful as the terminology varies and names are interchangeable. Behringer is not alone at all in this. A knob labeled "Sustain" on one pedal may be labeled as "Release" on another. This is so companies can market their pedal as a "sustain" pedal when in reality sustain is just a by product of heavy compression.

I have used compressors a lot in recording so I understand a good deal of it but it's something you always have to think about when setting the controls for each project and specific instrument or vocal. I think the old MXR with just a volume knob and a sensitivity knob is still the best compressor pedal for guitarists who want to add some sustain without having to deal with the other issues of attack, release, ratio etc. It only does one thing but it does it well.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 26, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
Compressors can be your best friend or your worst enemy. They are probably the most misunderstood pedal and the most difficult to understand. Things like attack, threshold, release, ratio and all the other controls interact with each other and can really mess up you signal if you don't get them set correctly. The industry as a whole are not helpful as the terminology varies and names are interchangeable. Behringer is not alone at all in this. A knob labeled "Sustain" on one pedal may be labeled as "Release" on another. This is so companies can market their pedal as a "sustain" pedal when in reality sustain is just a by product of heavy compression.

I have used compressors a lot in recording so I understand a good deal of it but it's something you always have to think about when setting the controls for each project and specific instrument or vocal. I think the old MXR with just a volume knob and a sensitivity knob is still the best compressor pedal for guitarists who want to add some sustain without having to deal with the other issues of attack, release, ratio etc. It only does one thing but it does it well.

I am just realizing how complicate the set up is, after an hour of moving dials, relocating pedals and so on i managed to make my sound almost acceptable but i do like to have the sustain
Quote by petermasuri

Quote by sfx
I have one too, with a Kustom defender 12 cabinet. Sounds awesome when all knobs are up.

Sweet. I really want to get the Bass one so I can stop carting my amp to gigs. Line out, baby! Also, the Heart Attack for High Gain stuff.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
Sweet. I really want to get the Bass one so I can stop carting my amp to gigs. Line out, baby! Also, the Heart Attack for High Gain stuff.

I bought mine when they were still cheap and unknown and wish i got the set cos they are awesome little amps, and they can drive a 4x12" cab, which is impressive. I had this and a Marshall MG 15, and the Marshall was nowhere near as good
Quote by Leather Sleeves
I find that compression is often unnecessary for guitar, especially if you were using a tube amp. But there are plenty of guitarists at all levels who use it.

Because of lack or room I relied on a multi effect processor and I always found them very syntetic I wanted the raw sound of analogue pedals, I love metal but I have problems figuring out which pedals I need
Quote by petermasuri
Because of lack or room I relied on a multi effect processor and I always found them very syntetic I wanted the raw sound of analogue pedals, I love metal but I have problems figuring out which pedals I need

Pedals are definitely the way to go, unless you can shell out enough cash for a multi-effects, like a Fractal. In the end, you're better off with pedals.

For metal it depends a lot on what specific sub-genre you play. I go for a vintage thrash tone and use a very basic tube head and an overdrive, and that's about it. Sometimes I'll use a stereo delay for gigs, as well as reverb for solos. What I do for volume boosting is change the amp's channel. I'll have the settings the same, but the volume louder.

If you're more into effects than me, you might want to look into a chorus, and a whammy, but the most important thing for metal is the tone of the distortion. The best (IMO) metal tone comes from an overdrive into a tube amp.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Pedals are definitely the way to go, unless you can shell out enough cash for a multi-effects, like a Fractal. In the end, you're better off with pedals.

For metal it depends a lot on what specific sub-genre you play. I go for a vintage thrash tone and use a very basic tube head and an overdrive, and that's about it. Sometimes I'll use a stereo delay for gigs, as well as reverb for solos. What I do for volume boosting is change the amp's channel. I'll have the settings the same, but the volume louder.

If you're more into effects than me, you might want to look into a chorus, and a whammy, but the most important thing for metal is the tone of the distortion. The best (IMO) metal tone comes from an overdrive into a tube amp.

I got a basic valve sound through my Hotone Nano amp, ok i know it is not a real valve amp but my budget doesn't stretch that far, i am planning to get the Blackstar 1 watt tube head when i got some cash and my other guitar can provide the whammy ( Cort k5 evl with EMGs amd Floyd Rose), so hopefully all i would need is the reverb
Thanks
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Also, the only guitar application for which I would use compression is for solos. But, opinions vary, and there's nothing inherently wrong with using compression on guitars.

Well that's the reason why i forked out for wretched thing, although my solos still suck big time, I guess I should relegate myself to the rhythm guitar