I'll probably be getting the Ibanez S7721PB-NTF anytime soon and am already planing which pickups to get. So far I've been a fan of DiMarzios, so I'm quite set there. The thing is that most guitarists seem to prefer pickups with lots of mids for their Ibanez S-series'. So that really got me wondering. My current guitar (Ibanez S570DXQM) has Evos, which have quite the mid-boost. I love the overall sound they deliver and I believe the mid-boost actually suits the instrument very well, since it's quite trebbly by nature and the pickups basically round it up.

When thinking about getting new pickups I'd rather refuse getting the same pus twice. I believe the Ibanez S7721 will have quite the similar basic tone like my current S570, seing as they both have a mahogany body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. The last thing I want is that guitar to sound just like the one I already have. That would be just a waste of money. The only difference would be the 7th string, a fixed bridge and no singlecoil in the midle-position (I want as much versatility from as few instruments as possible). So I've been thinking about getting the popular Crunch Lab / Liquifire combo, which so far has been my favourite next to the Evos since having it heard on a couple of other Ibanez'. Now the Blaze combo does have quite the opposite tone: Instead of delivering a lot of mids they actually cut them. So I'm wondering whether they are simply a poor choice for an Ibanez S? I don't know anyone with an S and the Blaze combo, so that's why I'm asking. I'm basically afraid of the guitar having too few mids and simply not being able to cut through in a standard metal band.

Any opinions and/or thoughts?
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Aug 25, 2015,
a lot can be done to compensate the tone on a guitar before the pickups as you mentioned not enough mids, there is this mod called the torres mid scoop / boost. It's passive and pretty easy to do. If the pickups have too much muddiness or treble I use a fender mod believe it or not. Usually guys frown but then they try one of my guitars and it makes sense. It adds clarity. Both mods are a few specific capacitors , resistors and one has an audio transformer. If you never use the classic tone knob what do you have to lose right?

the only thing strange about the torres mid scoop/boost is when you're perfectly at 10 or 0 it has no signal so it's similar to a kill switch but the idea is to keep the tone knob in the middle.

As for pickups try the guitar and see what is wrong with it first. Everything and anything can alter the sound of the guitar. Picks , string material (not brand) and all. Parallel wiring helps too to get a hum cancelling single coil sound or a few other mods come to mind. There is a seymour duncan diagram that is complete overkill but it does 12 tones. 4 different sounds per pickup. Any 4 wire pickup can do this.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Aug 25, 2015,
Sounds like an interesting mod to me. As I said, I can pretty much immagine how the general tone of the 7-string will be since I own a 6-string with similar specs. Using the tone know it actually a must for me. I usually have it somewhere in the middle and tweek it around in one or the other direction when I notice my sound lacks some lows or highs or when I want to cut/bust some freqs for a particular song without needing to change anythin on my amp. The tone knob is very responsive there.

I don't know why I havent thought about it much, but I'd probably be using different strings (Elixir Nano Web) on the seven string becaus the Optima Golds are not available for 7-strings. I already noticed that the Optimas sound a lot brighter than the Elixirs. My basic idea is to have two guitars that don't copy, but complement each others sounds, so I figured having one with a mid-boost and one with cut mids would be a good idea.

Thaks for your idea, sounds really cool
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.