Hello again.
Right, I finally got down the first steps for the fretless process. The frets are out, but I'm not sure whether to put wood filler in first then sand down, or sand first, do wood filler, and sand again, until the fingerboard is flat. This is the step that I don't know much about, but I'd like to know how to do it, because I have no experience with sanding. It looked like different videos had different orders for the sanding process. Also, I'm not sure which grits to use for this process.
PS: I know I'm thinking about a glass board, but I was thinking of leaving that for later, as it looks like a bit of a job to accomplish.
Quote by jzRTCAQ!PY13575
Hello again.
Right, I finally got down the first steps for the fretless process. The frets are out, but I'm not sure whether to put wood filler in first then sand down, or sand first, do wood filler, and sand again, until the fingerboard is flat. This is the step that I don't know much about, but I'd like to know how to do it, because I have no experience with sanding. It looked like different videos had different orders for the sanding process. Also, I'm not sure which grits to use for this process.
PS: I know I'm thinking about a glass board, but I was thinking of leaving that for later, as it looks like a bit of a job to accomplish.

-what kind of guitar is this? fretboard material, year, make/model, radius, bindiing?

-i do new fretboard radii with radius blocks in a sanding fixture. you can get blocks from lmii or stew mac.

-how bad did you butch up the fretboard pulling out the frets? did you heat them with an iron or just go at it with tools?.

-don't use wood filler to fill in the slots. this is best done with biding strip. you can get maple or rosewood. "wood filler" will shrink, get dirty, crumble, and look like shit. the color never seems to match anything unless you add dye to it.

-you'll need to clean out the slots well. they make tools for this.

-after you get your inserts in you'll need to adjust your truss rod so that the neck is dead flat before your final leveling. use a precision straight edge

-sand paper. i finish at 400p. where you start is up to you depending upon how much needs to come off. just work down through the grits from where your start. if you pulled the frets out cleanly, then you should have very little at all and all you really need to do is to use a scraper to bring the inserts level (after they are glued in) and then a light general clean up of the whole board is all that is needed.

-if you have pulled chips out of the fretboard with the fret barbs you'll need to do some spot filling. if you have the chips use them. ca glue and fine sawdust from the donor material is best for filling in these areas. fill, level, repeat.

-if you have no experience sanding you should practice on something else first.
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 25, 2015,