I'm beginner to electric guitar, played acoustic for quite a while. I'm looking to get a new electric and I'm debating whether I should get the Ibanez GRG120BDX (not in the Ibanez catalogue, Guitar Center exclusive). Or the Les Paul Special II. Pictures and stats below. I'm looking to play a bit of everything, but not much jazz or country. More rock, alt.rock that kinda stuff, nothing heavy though. No heavy metal or stoner rock, nothing like that. I've tried them both out btw, still cant decide.

(Invalid img)

Resonant basswood body
Slim & comfortable 1pc maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard with white shark teeth inlay
Ibanez designed humbucker pickups: Powersound-1 neck, Powersound-2 bridge
Volume, Tone and 3-way selector controls
Low profile Ibanez FAT-6 tremolo bridge
Black Hardware

(Invalid img)

Mahogany body
Bolt-on mahogany neck
1960's SlimTaper D neck profile
22-fret rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays
24-3/4" scale
1-5/8" nut width
Epiphone 700T/650R open-coil humbuckers
Nickel hardware
LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece
Tone, volume, and 3-way pickup switch
Covered 14:1 ratio tuners

Please debate and argue all that you can, I need it
Last edited by eragon1452 at Aug 25, 2015,
Is that the limit of your budget? What are you getting for an amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Are those the only two options you have ? Like Dave_mc said, it would help if you told us your budget and whether you're ordering online or not.
GEEYUR :

X) Schecter Tempest Custom f/w SD SH-6

X) Ibanez RG321MH f/w SD SH-11

X) AMT Pangea CP-100 ( AWWW YIS )

X) Line 6 POD HD 500X

When you licky-bum-bum so hard you get sticky num-nums.
Last edited by the_weirdoman at Aug 25, 2015,
If you're looking at the Les Paul Special II have you considered going for the SG special? In my opinion it looks and sounds much better and it has a killpot which the LP doesn't have.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Is that the limit of your budget? What are you getting for an amp?

sorry dave should've mentioned that, my budget is up to about $200 and I'm probably going to get a mustang 20w amp
They're almost polar opposites - Les Pauls are known for being heavy and generally bulky (thick neck and body), Ibanez is known for probably the thinnest necks in existence and fairly light weight.

Although while I'm far, far closer to the Ibanez camp, the Floyd (?) is a significant turn-off in my opinion, the cheaper versions are sort of notorious for having tuning issues, and can be an utter nightmare for a beginner, especially for changing tunings (which you will probably want to do if you're just starting on electric, the joys of drop D :P ). A fixed bridge will be much simpler and more reliable (is it even possible to screw up a TOM bridge?).
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Quote by TheLiberation
They're almost polar opposites - Les Pauls are known for being heavy and generally bulky (thick neck and body), Ibanez is known for probably the thinnest necks in existence and fairly light weight.

Although while I'm far, far closer to the Ibanez camp, the Floyd (?) is a significant turn-off in my opinion, the cheaper versions are sort of notorious for having tuning issues, and can be an utter nightmare for a beginner, especially for changing tunings (which you will probably want to do if you're just starting on electric, the joys of drop D :P ). A fixed bridge will be much simpler and more reliable (is it even possible to screw up a TOM bridge?).

Yeah Liberation I heard that would happen, can I somehow remove the tremolo and get rid of the tuning problems. I mean I'm not a beginner, but I still hate having to tune a guitar every time I pick it up(which is quite frequently). And as you mentioned they are polar opposites but somehow I'm stuck in the middle
Quote by Explosiontaster
If you're looking at the Les Paul Special II have you considered going for the SG special? In my opinion it looks and sounds much better and it has a killpot which the LP doesn't have.

Hey Explosiontaster, thanks for the solution, and i was considering the sg but when i watched/read some reviews they said it wasn't for beginners. Now I'm not a beginner to guitar, but electric guitar I am. So would you say the sg is okay for an intermediate-ish guitarist??
Quote by the_weirdoman
Are those the only two options you have ? Like Dave_mc said, it would help if you told us your budget and whether you're ordering online or not.

Hey, sorry as I said to Dave:

sorry dave should've mentioned that, my budget is up to about $200 and I'm probably going to get a mustang 20w amp
And if anyone also wants to suggest any other guitars, that'd be great my budget is up to around $200 USD, I'm thinking of getting a Fender Mustang 20W amp as well.
Honestly, these are both not very good guitars. I actually have a old LP Special II that is way better than what is currently being produced. I did a set up for a friends new Special II and it was possibly the most unplayable guitar I have ever come across. The Ibanez trem is not a full floating, it's a vintage style trem. I have zero experience with that style on Ibanez guitars but the gio's have a pretty bad reputation. For your money, you should be looking at used guitars. You will get a lot more guitar for your money.
thanks for the info. how much can you get a yamaha pacifica 112v for where you are? it might be a little more, but as J_W says, the LP special II and Gio Ibanezes are generally considered to be not that great, and best avoided basically (I don't really have any experience with them, I'm just going by hearsay from the regulars on here). the pacifica 112 is normally the "safe" cheapish choice for beginner guitar- in certain countries you may well be able to do better for the money (say with local brands which aren't available elsewhere), but you can normally do a lot worse as well and you shouldn't go too far wrong with a pacifica 112.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 25, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
thanks for the info. how much can you get a yamaha pacifica 112v for where you are? it might be a little more, but as J_W says, the LP special II and Gio Ibanezes are generally considered to be not that great, and best avoided basically (I don't really have any experience with them, I'm just going by hearsay from the regulars on here). the pacifica 112 is normally the "safe" cheapish choice for beginner guitar- in certain countries you may well be able to do better for the money (say with local brands which aren't available elsewhere), but you can normally do a lot worse as well and you shouldn't go too far wrong with a pacifica 112.

The Pacifica(where I am) is $300 which is kind of over my budget, but are both guitars really that bad? I only say this because I was checking out some "best beginner guitar" type videos and articles and the Special II as in many of them. The Ibanez, however, as not. That was just a personal preference from when I was at Guitar Center auditioning different guitars. I just liked the thinner, faster neck, it seemed easy to play
Quote by J_W
Honestly, these are both not very good guitars. I actually have a old LP Special II that is way better than what is currently being produced. I did a set up for a friends new Special II and it was possibly the most unplayable guitar I have ever come across. The Ibanez trem is not a full floating, it's a vintage style trem. I have zero experience with that style on Ibanez guitars but the gio's have a pretty bad reputation. For your money, you should be looking at used guitars. You will get a lot more guitar for your money.

So the LP is really that bad? I was looking at some best beginner guitar type things and it was mentioned in quite a few of them. And what used ones or other guitars do you recommend other than the ones I mentioned?
I was also looking at the Slash AFD Les Paul II, its supposedly better than the normal Special II
I haven't tried them but the general consensus among the regulars around here is normally spot-on. If they say they're crap, they probably are.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried them but the general consensus among the regulars around here is normally spot-on. If they say they're crap, they probably are.

So any other recommendations??
i'm not really aware of anything at your budget new (though I'm not that familiar with the beginner level stuff and with USA pricing). The pacifica 112 I mentioned is normally a safe bet if you can stretch or are willing to go used (but if you don't play already you'd need to take a guitar playing friend you trust with you if buying used to check out the guitar to make sure it's ok).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by eragon1452
So the LP is really that bad? I was looking at some best beginner guitar type things and it was mentioned in quite a few of them. And what used ones or other guitars do you recommend other than the ones I mentioned?

I have one that is over 10 years old and it actually plays well still to this day, the newer one I worked on was really bad. They may not all be that bad, that's the only newer once I've had any experience with. If you do decide to go with the LP, don't order one, play it first.
Quote by eragon1452 at #33567777
I was also looking at the Slash AFD Les Paul II, its supposedly better than the normal Special II

It isn't. It's just a typical LP Special II with a veneer. Not worth your time. The Special II's are generally boat anchors. The GIO's are not much better either. The trems they come with are horrible.

I'd just get a Yamaha Pacifica. It's better made than anything else you're going to buy in the price range and it covers a lot of ground in its pickup configuration.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
200 bux ain't much. of those two the ibanez would be the best imo. the price tag gets you that ibanez neck (and not their best one either) and a platform to dump upgrade money into.

or in gc's used fleet you have:
used shit at gc

hmm...
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 27, 2015,
Quote by ad_works
200 bux ain't much. of those two the ibanez would be the best imo. the price tag gets you that ibanez neck (and not their best one either) and a platform to dump upgrade money into.

or in gc's used fleet you have:
used shit at gc

hmm...

Hey, you put up a link, really helped, my thanks goes out to you
and also you're one of the people not to suggest that these are bad beginner guitars, so any opinions on that? Bad or good??
Les paul or a real super strat

Ibanez is a copy guitar company. Thats how they started.

Id honestly get a schecter....o wait i did lol.

Ibanez feel and sound like crap. Unless all u want to do is shred which is why anyone gets those guitars.
Old thread. Make a new one if you want to start a discussion about how crap you think Ibanez guitars are. But just know that such a sweeping overgeneralization will not do you any favors.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.