As you can see in my signal chain below, I use a DS-1 as my main distortion pedal.

I realised, however, that when activated, my DS-1 always has a lower level than when unactivated. My tone is currently set to 6/10, dist 3/10, and level maximum, but it's still less than expected. Is this normal for DS-1s or is there something wrong with my pedal?

In addition, it has copious amounts of noise. Could this be due to the power supply?
Epiphone Les Paul Special II -> Cry Baby Wylde Wah -> DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 -> Boss DS-1 -> Boss ME-50 -> Marshall MG15CF

SCANDAL / Foo Fighters / The Beatles
Did you buy the pedal used or got it new?

DS-1 is a heavily modded platform, so if you bought it used, previous owner could've botched a mod job.
I got it new haha. Unfortunately I got it a few months ago and that was when I first started guitar so I can't really comment on how it was that time back.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II -> Cry Baby Wylde Wah -> DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 -> Boss DS-1 -> Boss ME-50 -> Marshall MG15CF

How does it behave using a battery?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
How does it behave using a battery?

Using a battery, it has much less noise but also has much less volume and distortion.

Is the battery fresh?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
no shock that it's making a lot of noise. you are running it as a boost which with your amp is a wasted effort. if you run the pedal at unity (somewhere around 5/10 so volume is roughly the same with or without the pedal on) then it should be far less noisey. so readjust the volume and turn the distortion up to taste and see how that goes. i assume you are running the amp clean. if not then that could be part of the problem as well.
Quote by Cathbard
Is the battery fresh?

Yep, it is, but now I'm only using a power supply.

Quote by monwobobbo
no shock that it's making a lot of noise. you are running it as a boost which with your amp is a wasted effort. if you run the pedal at unity (somewhere around 5/10 so volume is roughly the same with or without the pedal on) then it should be far less noisey. so readjust the volume and turn the distortion up to taste and see how that goes. i assume you are running the amp clean. if not then that could be part of the problem as well.

Actually, I'm not running it at unity because the volume when activated is lower than when unactivated even with level set to maximum. Is it possible the distortion circuit is damaged, causing it to have lower output and requiring me to set the levels higher?

Quote by gt.ch
Yep, it is, but now I'm only using a power supply.

Actually, I'm not running it at unity because the volume when activated is lower than when unactivated even with level set to maximum. Is it possible the distortion circuit is damaged, causing it to have lower output and requiring me to set the levels higher?

yeah seems like you have a defective pedal.
Yep.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah seems like you have a defective pedal.

Quote by Cathbard
Yep.

That's terrible.

Thanks for your help, everyone!