Hi, I have two seperate amp heads going to two compleatly seperate cabs. One is a bogner alchemist 20/40 watt head and the other is a marshal dsl100h 100watt head. I am plugging straight into the from of both amps for troubleshooting purposes. I am not getting any sound from the amp heads to the cabs. Both amps are experiencing the same issue. I've replaced all cables and tried multiple different guitars. All tubes are lit up and all lights work on the front of both amps as well as Chanel switching. Just no sound gets to the cabs. Does anyone know what this issue could be or where I could start troubleshooting?
Are you trying to have both producing sound at the same time with some sort of splitter? Or each amp/cab individually do not work?

Check your speaker cables. Also I hope you had the right impedance matching from the amp to cab or you could have blown both amps/cabs. Also make sure the amps are off standby, that's always a silly thing.
Im basically troubleshooting two seperate amps havin the same problems. Both amps have had there seperate cabs tested with other amplifiers and are working. The impedance is correct for both cabs matching both amps. I am using quarter inch guitar cables from the heads to the cabs. These are not connected together in any way. Two seperate half stacks with the same issue.
I also checked the standby switchs and they are both off of standby. Also tried different power sources
Quote by slateyoung
Im basically troubleshooting two seperate amps havin the same problems. Both amps have had there seperate cabs tested with other amplifiers and are working. The impedance is correct for both cabs matching both amps. I am using quarter inch guitar cables from the heads to the cabs. These are not connected together in any way. Two seperate half stacks with the same issue.

Instead of a condensending smiley face explain what you mean. The only input on the back of either cab is a quarter inch jack as well as the amp heads themselves. I use two foot shielded monster cables. Why is this a issue?
Quote by slateyoung
Instead of a condensending smiley face explain what you mean. The only input on the back of either cab is a quarter inch jack as well as the amp heads themselves. I use two foot shielded monster cables. Why is this a issue?

Guitar/Instrument cables are not rated the same impedance as SPEAKER cables.

It cannot handle that much wattage/amps.

If your amp heads are only few watts, you may get away with it but anything more than 5 watts is a risk that could fry the cables or the tube amp's output transformer.
Using an instrument cable on a tube amp head, especially a high wattage one, is as good as not plugging an amp into the cabinet at all... and that's bad... for tube amps.

This could be why you're not getting any sound......

You can read my post recently on this issue and why I made my own tube amp head to cabinet cable.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1683444
Last edited by sfx at Aug 26, 2015,
The monster cables are rated for all high end speaker use? They also work with my 60 watt Hartkey half stack am that a higher wattage than the bogner. Is there a way to test just my output transformer to see if that's what's gone bad on both amps?
Quote by slateyoung
The monster cables are rated for all high end speaker use? They also work with my 60 watt Hartkey half stack am that a higher wattage than the bogner. Is there a way to test just my output transformer to see if that's what's gone bad on both amps?

You said it yourself, you're using a 'guitar cable'. Those are very likely NOT the same as speaker/wire cables.

Doesn't matter what brand you use. If it's not meant for speakers (with amplified signals) then you risk damaging your equipment.

Using an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable from your tube guitar amplifier to your cabinet/speakers is like trying to pee with a full bladder while having a rubberband tied to your penis.
Last edited by sfx at Aug 26, 2015,
I looked online and the monster cables im using are rated for 600+ watts. Is there a way to test my output transformer?
Chances are you fried the guitar cables. You need speaker cables. Different animals.

I made same mistake setting up at a gig (after drinking beer and stuff) a few years back and the cables set on fire. That was with a 50w JCM800. Use the proper cables.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by slateyoung
I looked online and the monster cables im using are rated for 600+ watts. Is there a way to test my output transformer?

Can you be more specific about the particular monster cable? The brand/series/name would be helpful.. Wanna see the specs you quoted.

For the OT, I think if there's a sound then it should work when you connect to the cab.

Also check the cable that goes from your guitar to the amp, maybe that one is borked so that's why you don't hear sound.
They are Monster brand cables from there pro link series. Two foot long cables
^ Do you have a link to them? I checked the monster site but they have a bunch of pro links, and I didn't see any 2ft ones (they had 3ft ones, maybe that's what you meant).

But yeah odds are what everyone is saying is right, use speaker cables. EDIT: you could always try emailing monster to see what they say.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 26, 2015,