I was browsing Craigs list for my nephew. He wants to upgrade from a bottom end LTD. I found him a Jackson DK2 for 250. It has real duncans. Not the design ones. Good shape. It sounded like a good buy so. I nabbed it. I actually hope he doesn't want it so I can keep it.

But while on my search, I found a Schecter XXX for 275. My wife bought me one of these a few years ago and it was stolen from my car. So I kind of have to grab that.

We will both have NGD'S coming soon.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
I don't like the Jackson DK2's because of the licensed Floyds.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
I have heard a lot on this debate. What exactly is the difference in licensed and original? Do they operate the same? I know the materials may be different but what problems does that cause?
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Quote by GraceByDeath at #33567562
I don't like the Jackson DK2's because of the licensed Floyds.

The old MIJ Jackson Pros are stellar guitars, sans the Licensed Floyd. A lot of owners say the Licensed Jackson Floyd are OK though. It's no Original, but it certainly isn't 'bad' either.
Quote by eoj02 at #33567619
I have heard a lot on this debate. What exactly is the difference in licensed and original? Do they operate the same? I know the materials may be different but what problems does that cause?

There's no one licensed Floyd and no one Original Floyd. Different companies make varying qualities of the same bridge. Sometimes the same company makes many different models that differ in design and overall quality. Some are as good as the Original Floyd Rose, yet they're still technically Licensed. Or at least they were back when they were made. The patent for Floyd Rose licensing went out a long time ago.

As a very big generalisation (with a bunch of exceptions), Licensed Floyds generally aren't as good as the original counterpart. In most cases, Licenced Floyds are fitted to guitars as a cost-cutting measure. Design-wise they are generally very similar to original Floyds, if not identical. But the materials they're constructed from aren't as skookum. And it can cause problems such as premature knife edge wear that negatively affects the bridge's tuning stability. Cheaper bridges typically have pot metal blocks which aren't too conducive towards sustain, and the saddles are made of zinc, as opposed to hardened steel on the Original Floyd. Zinc saddles aren't the end of the world though. And the Original Floyd is a pretty expensive and high-end piece of hardware.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 25, 2015,
My thought is if I can drop $250 + $199 on a used Jackson Dinky and an OFR to install later, but I could spend $450 and get something used with a 1000 series or OFR I'd do that. That being said. Jackson DK2s are pretty tight guitars. Just the specs aren't quite what I aim for. DK2M's however might be worth it for me to replace the floyd.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by GraceByDeath at #33567662
My thought is if I can drop $250 + $199 on a used Jackson Dinky and an OFR to install later, but I could spend $450 and get something used with a 1000 series or OFR I'd do that. That being said. Jackson DK2s are pretty tight guitars. Just the specs aren't quite what I aim for. DK2M's however might be worth it for me to replace the floyd.

I'd go for the Jackson option, but I am biased because I myself have gone down that route and I couldn't be happier with the result.

Even if you do spend 450 on a guitar with a 1000, it isn't going to be as good as the quality of a German-made OFR, which is what you would be getting if you mod the Jackson.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 25, 2015,