I'm having trouble with the Gotoh Mini 510 tuners on my newly build strat.

At first I wanted to put 12-54 strings on it and tune it to C standard. The tuners didn't like the gauge. At least that's what I thought until I ordered some 10-46 strings and go for E standard, but that doesn't seem to work either.

The thing is, these stupid tuners have a top part (see picture, the part sticking out of the top) that you can screw on and off. When you screw it on, the hole for the string closes. But when the hole is big enough for the string to go through, the mechanics don't seem to grasp that top part so the string won't be tightened.

What is going on and how do these bloody tuners work? '
I know for sure I'm never going to use them again.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Sounds like a massive case of user error to me.

You do realise these are locking tuners right? Not only that but the string hole sizes across all 6 are not the same.

3 of the tuners holes are specific to accept unwound strings (G, B and high E).

I bet you didn't read the installation instructions and just mounted them randomly into the head stock and you have mounted tuners sized for unwound strings into the positions for the low E, A and D heavy wound strings.

Go back and scoure through the instructions to the letter and do it again.....and properly. Then determine if you we're too hasty in your assessment of them being total crap.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Aug 29, 2015,
Of course I did read the instructions and of course I mounted the tuners correctly, I'm not a complete idiot

I figured out how to use the tuners now, they work different than the ones I normally use and will use in the future.

But thanks for your input
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Phoenix V
so whats the problem with them?

It's not with them.
It's with the fact that he didn't RTFM before he wrote the panicked TS message.
Quote by dspellman
It's not with them.
It's with the fact that he didn't RTFM before he wrote the panicked TS message.

this

I'm a man, I don't read manuals.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Cool. Its better you to finally admit it instead of publicly rubbishing the tuners. Gotoh tuners are decent quality and have a good reputation.

User error. Case closed
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100