Title says everything.

The general tone I'm looking for would sound something like this:
https://youtu.be/bT6RLNXeGgI?t=56s
and somewhat like this:
https://youtu.be/7U4ug2LWnqM?t=9s

What I'm looking for in the tone (shown in the vids) are the strong attack (mostly comes from articulation than tone but whatever) and fuzziness.

Just before finding this guy I was really into Hughes and Kettner amps but then I realized the attack is incredibly weak and there's way to much fuzz.

So one thing is for sure, I'm probably getting a 412B Blackstar cab cause it's decently cheap, and the guy in the vids has it set up pretty well but that's not even the concern.

A VHT 3GP is super freaking expensive, and a 2/50/2 is basically discontinued and the newer ones are faulty from what I hear.

What do?

I've been looking at the Orange CR120H Crush Head Amp and I think this might be heading into the right direction.

Thoughts? Current idea is the get a CR12H Crush H-Amp and a Blackstar 412B cab.
Nah don't get the Crush. Maybe the Peavey 6505 combo + TS9 and maybe a compressor. Actually, you can get a VHT combo for the same price as the Crush head. I don't know much about VHT but if you're looking for that tone, their combos are in your budget, and you won't have to get the cab as well. The 6505 is just an often suggested high gain amp. Up to you. The TS9 + Compressor will help you get that sustain and attack no matter what amp you get, though.

And I'm not sure what 412B Blackstar cab you were looking at, but 412s are expensive nevertheless.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 26, 2015,
I just want it for live sound and not practice, when it comes to practice I usually use my pedal's on-board sound to my ATH-M50x's and it sounds surprisingly good. I don't know how loud combos can get.
The 6505 combo is 60W. Plenty power to keep up w/ a drummer. If you're looking to do gigs unmiced, then yeah you might want to invest in a 412. Either way, I wouldn't suggest getting that Orange. You'll be much more satisfied with a tube amp I would think.
Quote by Konohana
I just want it for live sound and not practice, when it comes to practice I usually use my pedal's on-board sound to my ATH-M50x's and it sounds surprisingly good. I don't know how loud combos can get.

combos can get loud, just as loud as head/cab setups. there is no real difference other than a combo just puts the amp and speaker together. i will add that open back cabinets can certainly be louder (especially if you set them up in the room right), and most combos are open back while most standalone cabinets tend to be closed back.

can't really go wrong with a 6505 really, they are a standard for modern metal/heavy rock. i'd still just recommend going to a store to try stuff out.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
combos can get loud, just as loud as head/cab setups. there is no real difference other than a combo just puts the amp and speaker together. i will add that open back cabinets can certainly be louder (especially if you set them up in the room right), and most combos are open back while most standalone cabinets tend to be closed back.

can't really go wrong with a 6505 really, they are a standard for modern metal/heavy rock. i'd still just recommend going to a store to try stuff out.

Problem is I want something decent so I can settle with it for a long time (3+ years). I might get a 6505 head amp or something instead of the combo, and get a cab too, also playing with other people comes to mind and idk if a combo can do it without sounding like crap at high volumes.
Mesa.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Konohana
Problem is I want something decent so I can settle with it for a long time (3+ years). I might get a 6505 head amp or something instead of the combo, and get a cab too, also playing with other people comes to mind and idk if a combo can do it without sounding like crap at high volumes.

I have to admit I like the sound of a bigger cab better than a 1 X 12, but volume has nothing to do with it. Generally, the bigger the cab, the "deeper" and fuller it sounds at a given volume. That said, the 6505+ 112 will dish out some serious volume and thump regardless of being a 112 cab. The cab section of the combo is still fairly large in volume compared to most 1 X 12 combos or cabs. I made mine into a head and run a 4 X 12 cab now, but occasionally I stick it on the old 112 cab and am always surprised by how it can get just about as loud without really turning up the volume much. It actually has a tighter response than it does through the 412 too, if that's your thing. Also, FWIW, 60 TUBE watts is more than enough for a gig. Driving my 4 X 12, running my volume at "3" is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure most drummers would ask me to turn it down at that point...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Konohana
I might get a 6505 head amp or something instead of the combo, and get a cab too…

I’d recommend it if you have the money and think you’ll want more heads in the future. And this way you never have to deal with the burning hatred that comes from a tube rattling with certain notes.
Still I don't know if 6505 is 100% what I want to settle with for a long time. I'll have to give it a shot, any other recommendations? I looked up mesa boogie and I'm not made of gold, so that's not an option.
I like my 6505+ but if you ever need cleans, it's not ideal to say the least
I'm starting to second the guy that said to look up VHT's own amplifiers. They sound pretty good.
Quote by Konohana
Which? Cabbed or a combo set up?

It doesn't matter all that much. Any Mesa from 1990 forward will kill on those guitar tones. Combo or head/cab is primarily a fashion choice.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I didn't see what your budget is. If you have the money, check out the Kemper Profiling Amp. I just bought one and it's absolutely amazing.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I didn't see what your budget is. If you have the money, check out the Kemper Profiling Amp. I just bought one and it's absolutely amazing.

I'm a huge fan of the Kemper Profiling Amp, I've been following it for a long time (certain artists like those in G5 Project have done collabs/work with kemper profiling amps) They're super sick.

I unfortunately don't have that much money to throw around though.

Budget would be $1000-1400
The head amp itself is already like 2 grand or so.
I agree with Cajun here. I hear these sounds coming out of my Mesa more than my 5150 (same as 6505 - no plus).

I scored my Mesa Roadster 212 used for $1100 but I see them go for the top end of your budget as well.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
I agree with Cajun here. I hear these sounds coming out of my Mesa more than my 5150 (same as 6505 - no plus).

I scored my Mesa Roadster 212 used for $1100 but I see them go for the top end of your budget as well.

Where would you buy these? I've seen some decent stuff at pawn shops but my neighbourhood is not exactly the richest, so 50-50 chance I'm the one getting ripped off if it I take one of those amps.
splawn would be worth a look. after that rec or 5150
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Look at a Randall RD100.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Konohana
Where would you buy these? I've seen some decent stuff at pawn shops but my neighbourhood is not exactly the richest, so 50-50 chance I'm the one getting ripped off if it I take one of those amps.

I got mine off of Craigslist. Guitar Center Used Gear is also a great place. At least if you're in the USA. You didn't list your location though.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by metalmingee
I got mine off of Craigslist. Guitar Center Used Gear is also a great place. At least if you're in the USA. You didn't list your location though.

Canada. I'm super super digging VHT/Fryette. Shame they disappeared for a bit.

Edit: Just noticed Fryette is soon about to release some good shit. The price range is still pretty absurd.
Last edited by Konohana at Aug 27, 2015,