Well finally i am going to get a new acoustic... i have two electrics (Epiphone Les Paul and Ibanez), a crappy acoustic and a crappy classical. I am playing guitar for about 5 or 6 years now. Anyway i need help lol My 18-th birthday is in december and i am going to get a new acoustic, i have been looking online for days now and i just cant decide. The maximum price should be 500 dollars, nothing above. Do you guys have some suggestions ? I was looking to buy a SIGMA DR-28 but i never had any experiences with sigma guitars, did anyone play this guitar or something, is it worth it ? I was also thinking about a Fender acoustic since i have around 10% discount on them but looking through the internet nobody really likes them. I just dont know what to buy... cant take this anymore lol.
You should totally post this in the acoustic thread considering the Pit is off topic and you won't get straight answers.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Go play a few, trust your hands and your ears.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Hey man, I bought a Sigma DR-28H a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I tried a more expensive Sigma and did not like it at all. Also, they had one that was about 100 euro cheaper and I also did not like that one.

I personally recommend buying one in a shop, after you've tried a specific one.

Greetings from Holland
Quote by Cajundaddy
Go play a few, trust your hands and your ears.

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal

You have to love it the first time you play/hear it
Buy a RainSong. You're welcome
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
How much should we factor your impending descent into insanity into your purchase? Will you still be able to play? Will you be suicidal? (I'm thinking a guitar might not be the best choice in that case...)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Hey dude.

For my 18th birthday I went to a guitar shop and played around with a few different acoustics. I knew beforehand what my budget was and that I preferred a dreadnought cutaway.

Guitars are a lot like drugs in that some are generally liked by most people but you can just not be feeling the real vibe with it.

You've got to go out there and play them for yourself and see what feels and sounds best to you.

You could probably find a list of 10 or whatever best guitars for your budget but I did that and found that when I went to the shop they didn't have any of them.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by ehbacon
Got my Yamaha Fgx 730 sc which is acoustic electric for around $500, beautiful guitar. I would definitely recommend it

I bought a fgx ,the ones that go for 300 new, I bought it used in brand-new condition for 180. I didn't like the feel of it I wasn't sure of the electronics when I tried it out but I trusted the Yamaha name and thought I could make it work for me.
There is no way to make it play good it's got 25 1/2 inch scale. The electronics were incredibly bad. In a sentence it played and sounded like crap. I sold it for $100 to get it out of my sight. I wasn't expecting it to sound like a $8000 Martin , I was expecting a reasonably okay acoustic guitar sound .
I bought an Ibanez classical it sounded really good but the string balance volume level in the electronics was way off. I sent it back got another, same thing. I bought a Washburn classical from Sweetwater and had their technician set it up and specified I want to string balance to be good. When I got it it was doing the same thing.
I gave up on trying to get a good acoustic guitar cheap.
I bought a Washburn from a pawnshop for $60 with a plywood top. The neck is great it plays incredibly easy and don't sound bad. I've tried putting two different types of pizos in it both sounded horrible. I put a Dimarzio acoustic guitar pickup in it and it sounds bad.
I'm not saying all this to be a bitch it's all true. I've had nothing but bad luck with trying to get a good acoustic guitar cheap.
Last edited by yope at Aug 27, 2015,
Quote by yope at #33570451
I bought a fgx ,the ones that go for 300 new, I bought it used in brand-new condition for 180. I didn't like the feel of it I wasn't sure of the electronics when I tried it out but I trusted the Yamaha name and thought I could make it work for me.
There is no way to make it play good it's got 25 1/2 inch scale. The electronics were incredibly bad. In a sentence it played and sounded like crap. I sold it for $100 to get it out of my sight. I wasn't expecting it to sound like a $8000 Martin , I was expecting a reasonably okay acoustic guitar sound .
I bought an Ibanez classical it sounded really good but the string balance volume level in the electronics was way off. I sent it back got another, same thing. I bought a Washburn classical from Sweetwater and had their technician set it up and specified I want to string balance to be good. When I got it it was doing the same thing.
I gave up on trying to get a good acoustic guitar cheap.
I bought a Washburn from a pawnshop for $60 with a plywood top. The neck is great it plays incredibly easy and don't sound bad. I've tried putting two different types of pizos in it both sounded horrible. I put a Dimarzio acoustic guitar pickup in it and it sounds bad.
I'm not saying all this to be a bitch it's all true. I've had nothing but bad luck with trying to get a good acoustic guitar cheap.

well you got one $320 cheaper than mine :P Not saying that price equals quality, but that's like comparing a LP and a LP jr.
@ OP: Can't go wrong with the Seagull Entourage Rustic either. Under $400, great guitar for the money (the dreadnaught, not the parlor guitar).
I'm not really a steel-string acoustic guy, but I really like the sound and feel of Taylors, even the cheaper ones. A Taylor around $500 will probably sound really good.

I really don't like Fender acoustics. I like strats and teles but I just find their acoustics really bland.

If you're like me and find acoustic dreadnoughts bland, boring and ugly, I like the Godin archtop 5th avenues.

http://www.amazon.com/Godin-5th-Archtop-Jazz-Style-Acoustic/dp/B001J6CWAK/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1440905738&sr=1-4&keywords=godin+5th+avenue&pebp=1440905799387&perid=1ZDPRQM7A0FJBCCS47EF

Wow, that Godin IS pretty. How does it sound? Are arch tops more difficult to string/maintain than regular guitars? Godin owns Seagull (bought one last week, really like it), which everybody has heard of, but they also own Simon and Patrick which I hear are also quite good.

@Madcap: I don't like Fender acoustics either. You should go play the BigBaby at a store, it's quite a sweetheart axe. I'm quite serious when I say it's the best under $500 acoustic in the world.