Page 1 of 2
So why no love for them?
I am going to buy one soon and am wondering which ones folks feel are the best.
I am looking for a combo of about 40 watts.
Any suggestions?
They get no love because they are piles of crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 1966 SG
So why no love for them?
I am going to buy one soon and am wondering which ones folks feel are the best.
I am looking for a combo of about 40 watts.
Any suggestions?

Run Forrest run!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cathbard
They get no love because they are piles of crap.

This sums it up pretty good
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Got a Marshall MG100HCFX 100W head with a MG412ACF 120W cab.

I use this with a PRS, 3 other guitars, and a Digitech RP500, sometimes a MT-2 Metal Zone.

No regrets, actually got complimented on my tone when I first got it, and now it has improved even more.

I don't use presets though, always manual mode and dampìng always on.
Wow!
I get the fact that they are not tube amps but,I don't think the sound that bad.
Surely not everyone here thinks they are crap.
Quote by 1966 SG
Wow!
I get the fact that they are not tube amps but,I don't think the sound that bad.

I don't think that they're crap. That's really not a strong enough word for them.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by 1966 SG
Wow!

Most people here do
there was the old Mosfet 100 which was decent, but the MG series isn't very good when you look at what else is available at that price range.

The Valvestates have a cult following in the death metal genre.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It depends what SS Marshall. There are a couple "okay" ones, but most are lousy.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Most people here do
there was the old Mosfet 100 which was decent, but the MG series isn't very good when you look at what else is available at that price range.

The Valvestates have a cult following in the death metal genre.

Was gonna post this.
The MG series are generally garbage.
The old MOSFET Lead 100 was a nice amp. I gigged with one for several years back in the 80's.
Yeah, but let's be honest, huh? You only played it because you couldn't afford a 2203 at the time. didn't you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 1966 SG
Wow!

I've had an MG30CFX three years. A passable first amp. Sounds like ass. Nowhere near the standard of other stuff for the money.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, but let's be honest, huh? You only played it because you couldn't afford a 2203 at the time. didn't you?

I even had to buy the MOSFET on layaway (or layby? for you aussies).
Took me about 6 months.
They get hated on not mainly because they're solid state.

Even as a modeling amp owner/lover I hated them.

Why ?

Simply because their price is stupid. They cost way more than modeling amps and other solid state amps because of the Marshall brand.

If Marshall wants to exploit it's own brand name, they need to come out with top quality stuff to justify their ridiculous prices.

As it is any modeling amp can do the marshall sound better than marshall's own solid state MG series, for way less.
What do you want to play?
If metal get yourself a Randall RG1503H. No SS Marshall will be better than it tone wise.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
What do you want to play?
If metal get yourself a Randall RG1503H. No SS Marshall will be better than it tone wise.

yeah, but the Randall isn't exactly that great either
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
yeah, but the Randall isn't exactly that great either

Why's that? Its a great friging thing. The best ss amp being made now.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Why's that? Its a great friging thing. The best ss amp being made now.

versatility is not its strong point. It does nail that buzzsaw type tone Dime used for so long great. Far from the best SS amp being made, far from it.

you want a great SS amp, look at http://pritchardamps.com/ hands down the best SS amps being made today, but they are as expensive as any mesa/marshall tube amp .
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think this thread needs restarting.

TS thinks he wants a new amp. TS thinks the answer is a solid state Marshall of around 40 watts. UG disagrees.

What is really needed here is the answer to all the usual questions (budget, style, other kit, location, etc) so we can make appropriate recommendations.

TS - Read this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

Tell us what you really want, and we'll tell you what you really need.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Robbgnarly
versatility is not its strong point. It does nail that buzzsaw type tone Dime used for so long great. Far from the best SS amp being made, far from it.

you want a great SS amp, look at http://pritchardamps.com/ hands down the best SS amps being made today, but they are as expensive as any mesa/marshall tube amp .

Might not be versatile, but it has a decent clean and awesome gain.
Pritchard amps are just too expensive for the average user IMO.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Might not be versatile, but it has a decent clean and awesome gain.
Pritchard amps are just too expensive for the average user IMO.

IMO the gain isn't what I'd ever go for, but that is 100% subjective.

Your right Pritchard amps are expensive, but they sound great and are a prime example of a good SS amp. If you want anything decent you will pay some money for it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
On topic:
Below the price of the MG30 Fender have a 40w Mustang, and Roland have a 40w Cube.
Between the MG30 and the MG50 Vox have a 40w Valvetronix, Orange have a 35w Crush, Roland have an 80w Cube and Fender have a 100w Champion and a 100w Mustang.

That's just the amps that are reasonably well regarded by most of the people I've seen talk about them (i.e. not the Spider) and at least the sort of power OP is after. Basically there are numerous options and the excessive price of the MGs immediately becomes pretty bate.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
The MG series is a disgrace to the Marshall name. That is all.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Fryderyczek
The best ss amp being made now.

Umm... no?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by KailM at #33570227
The MG series is a disgrace to the Marshall name. That is all.

My thoughts exactly.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by 1966 SG
Wow!

RE: The MG series, not everyone thinks they are crap, just all the very experienced players with hundreds of gigs to their name. All foam, no beer.

Hey we have all owned one or more amps that were scheit and sometimes that is the best way to learn. You buy the amp of your dreams only to soon realize that those dudes were right, it's poo. Now you have a door stop you can't really use but it's only money. Just make more and then go buy a real amp. Lesson learned.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 27, 2015,
Ok then.
My budget is only $300.
I play an SG Standard and am into Sabbath,Priest,AC DC, and classic rock bands.
I live in St.Louis,MO.
Used is fine with me.
This is for home use only.
Last edited by 1966 SG at Aug 27, 2015,
Can you get any kind of loud? Like, we talking apartment levels with paper thin walls, or a detached house, or...

Pretty much think or some reference volume and use that as your comparison point.

Off the top of my head, you could try a Laney AOR, maybe on the quiet end a Marshall Class 5 (might want a boost pedal for these), a Jet City of whichever size, maybe a Peavey Windsor or an old Peavey Butcher/VTM/Triumph/Ultra (or even a Classic 30), there are a bunch of good amps for cheap.

For those sounds, a good tube combo with a decent gain channel and an overdrive or boost pedal should do everything you want.
Quote by 1966 SG
Ok then.
My budget is only $300.
I play an SG Standard and am into Sabbath,Priest,AC DC, and classic rock bands.
I live in St.Louis,MO.
Used is fine with me.
This is for home use only.

Looking through your local CL. I found this. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/5190116730.html

(I urge you to consider this because it's cheap yet amazing tone and you'll get some FANTASTIC classic rock tones. BUT you'll need to get a cab...http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/5147985496.html)

And this leans towards a modern/Heavy/tight tone but it's a fantastic amp for it and you may be able to talk him down. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/5165427814.html
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
If You want Solid state amps still get the Marshall LEad Mosfet and a boost like a bad monkey
Fly on, fly on
Yep, Peavey Valve King, 6505, Vypyr all deliver way more-better heavy guitar tone than the MG. Also Jet City JCA20 will give you credible guitar attitude for the music you play.

Orange Tiny Terror would nail Sabbath, AC/DC, and Priest but you would need a decent speaker cab so it might break the bank

The small cheap amp (SuperChamp XD) I use for practice nails 60s-70s classic rock tone from Fender Vox, Plexi but is not very good for heavier 80s stuff. Got it $200 used in like new condition.

Now you have some good choices to make your guitar sing. Time to go shopping.

I need something with good tones at a medium or low volume.
Yes I own my own home but still prefer to keep it that way.
Quote by 1966 SG

I still think that many of my suggestions are viable.

If volume is a big concern, you may also consider a modeler and monitor (or even headphones) setup. Something like a POD HD500 and a decent pair of headphones would get some pretty good sounds at a low volume.
Quote by 1966 SG

In your shoes I would get the Orange. Really badass little amp that can be whisper quiet or run-with-a-drummer loud. Iommi would agree.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/relictele/media/Guitar/saborange.jpg.html

Quote by Fryderyczek
If You want Solid state amps still get the Marshall LEad Mosfet and a boost like a bad monkey

have you ever played a tube amp? all i see you say are ss randall, ss marshall etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
have you ever played a tube amp? all i see you say are ss randall, ss marshall etc.

I think he's just saying that is if OP is set on an SS amp at an affordable price, those might be some valid options for what OP wants to play.

I've got some real world experience with the Marshall MOSFET, and only limited experience with some Randalls and other brands, but nothing beyond jamming with them in a music store though, so I can really only speak for the Marshall.

Back then though (early - mid 80's) I remember I had a Boss Flanger, some kind of Crybaby Wah, a Maestro Phaser, some kinda boost or dirt pedal (but I don't remember what kind, probably a TS or some variant) plus built my own power supply for them all.
All thorough an Ibanez Law suit era Les Paul. With some kind of Dimarzio Humbuckers.
The style of music I played in bands was of the classic rock variety (Skynyrd, Zeppelin, BOC, Bad Company, Aerosmith, etc.).
I did alright with my setup.

I bought the full stack (Head plus 2 x 4x10s) for about $1000.
I've seen the heads for about $250 - $300 on eBay last I checked (a year or so ago).

I would buy a Marshall MOSFET again, and plan too at some point.
Or maybe even build my own using higher quality components.
But I sure as hell wouldn't give up my AC30 and 2x12 for one.
And I wouldn't buy any other SS Marshall no matter how good the price.
I would sooner sell my 84 year old mother into slavery.

And yes Cath, I bring up the MOSFET a lot when, IMO, the thread topic or OP's needs may call for it.
I've got a lot of good memories associated with that amp.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 27, 2015,
i have owned three RG100Es's and a century 100, as well as a RH1503 (IIRC). they are very single purposed IMO. honestly don't know know much about the MOSFETs and haven't ever owned one, but i have played on one before. but, sometimes in you past you romanticize gear, sometimes its not as great as you remember it. there are several amps that i thought were awesome, but playing them years down the road discovered that they were shit. and i thought i liked them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have owned three RG100Es's and a century 100, as well as a RH1503 (IIRC). they are very single purposed IMO. honestly don't know know much about the MOSFETs and haven't ever owned one, but i have played on one before. but, sometimes in you past you romanticize gear, sometimes its not as great as you remember it. there are several amps that i thought were awesome, but playing them years down the road discovered that they were shit. and i thought i liked them.

Yeah, nostalgia can color your memories.
But I do also remember getting a lot of compliments on my tone back then too.
Page 1 of 2